[Book Spoilers] Blackfish

Nagisa Furukawa

It just occurred to me that they could also have him getting Talisa out of the Twins - and that Robb gives him that mission. That could streamline a later story element (the details are very hazy for me - isn't Blackfish somehow protecting Robb's possibly-pregnant wife later on?), although it'd leave Edmure's story, um, hanging.

I would be surprised if the BF attends the RW, really. It's a change that requires more changes that could easily be avoided if he did not attend. But, Talisa is attending, which is also a change, so including the BF would allow for her escape, if that book storyline will continue on HBO in future seasons, particularly if either of them is in possession of Robb's will naming Jon Snow his heir.

IDK, charging the BF with Talisa's welfare and safety, rather than Catelyn's, strikes me as wrong, just no please, but it would be an easy plot devise to illustrate Catelyn's isolation from everything, and inform her actions in the future as one who is navigating, but not actively integrated, with the larger society surrounding her, thus capable of actions previously unheard of.

I would be surprised if the BF attends the RW, really. It's a change that requires more changes that could easily be avoided if he did not attend. But, Talisa is attending, which is also a change, so including the BF would allow for her escape, if that book storyline will continue on HBO in future seasons, particularly if either of them is in possession of Robb's will naming Jon Snow his heir.

IDK, charging the BF with Talisa's welfare and safety, rather than Catelyn's, strikes me as wrong, just no please, but it would be an easy plot devise to illustrate Catelyn's isolation from everything, and inform her actions in the future as one who is navigating, but not actively integrated, with the larger society surrounding her, thus capable of actions previously unheard of.

Well, Talisa is the Queen of the North now, so it's only logical that the only trustworthy show bannerman is charged with her safety. I agree though that it will be really strange if on one hand we will have the Frey's butchering everyone and on the other a mission impossible Blackfish charging through an army of Freys with Talisa on his shoulders.

Well, Talisa is the Queen of the North now, so it's only logical that the only trustworthy show bannerman is charged with her safety. I agree though that it will be really strange if on one hand we will have the Frey's butchering everyone and on the other a mission impossible Blackfish charging through an army of Freys with Talisa on his shoulders.

Why does anyone think Talisa is going to survive the RW?

EDMURE: The laws of gods and men are very clear: no man can compel another man to marriage.

BLACKFISH: The laws of my fist are about to compel your teeth!

After the initial "ugh" at just how poor of a line that was, I suddenly realized it was coming from THE BLACKFISH! The man infamous for not letting another man (Hoster Tully) compel another man! It's about the most un-Blackfish thing he could've said, honestly.

Thinking back as to how he's been handled this season, actually, I really don't like how much of an absolute violent hothead they've made him. I was able to take him being sterner with Edmure during the funeral scene; I accepted him yelling at Edmure about how he addresses "his king," when he's addressing "his lord" in a worse fashion. But to take one of the most interesting traits about the Blackfish and to completely remove it (elsewise, wouldn't Edmure had pointed out the insane hypocrisy?) for yet another "Edmure, you suck!" moment, I'm officially pissed at how they're treating Brynden Tully.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out... He looks great, the cast is great, but... At this point, save for his scene with Cat which was nice, he's simply just a thug with far too little respect for his lord, and he looks like an asshole while they're trying to make him look cool, which just isn't that good. Regardless I'm still looking forward to seeing more of him, the guy looks so much like George Carlin I just can't stop laughing every time I see him!

Jeyne Westerling is alive in the books, and since Talisa is her replacement then it would be quite a major change, killing her at RW. Not impossible obviously.

My prediction is that they will kill her because I don't think Jeyne Westerling is going to reappear in the books in any meaningful way, I think the Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's heir is crackpot, if she was, they wouldn't have changed her to a totally different person with no relationship at all to the character in the book who marries Robb.

But, of course I could be wrong, since I thought that "Talisa" was a false identity for an aged up Jeyne Westerling as I didn't think they would depart that significantly from the books. I thought "Talisa" was going to be outed as Jeyne once they got to the Crag but after Robb was already in love with her.

My prediction is that they will kill her because I don't think Jeyne Westerling is going to reappear in the books in any meaningful way, I think the Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's heir is crackpot, if she was, they wouldn't have changed her to a totally different person with no relationship at all to the character in the book who marries Robb.

But, of course I could be wrong.

I'm gonna go with you could be wrong. I believe that the queen of the north could be just about any random skank, as long as she's pregnant with Robb's child. I don't see how Jeyne being changed to Talisa proves either that she's going to be unimportant in the future books, or that she's not actually pregnant...

I thought it had been put to bed that the hip-difference was just a mistake and that JW's mother really did, sadly, turn out to be that much of a b*tch and that whole part was really showing how much Tywin really could f one up. I was really sad when that particular pet theory was ruled out. I thought it made things potentially less tragic, and then I realized how silly it was to think the grrm made something LESS tragic. sigh.

Which means Talisa being at the RW and dying there is totally fine and we can leave blackfish at rr to treat with Jaime later.

But of course, I cold be wrong too...

ETA:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/80013-jeyne-stark-robbs-wife/page__st__20

Back to Brynden and the main point of the OP - I haven't liked a single thing about him in the show. I can't tell why you'd choose to interpret the character that way. He is a nasty old dickhead given to snarky comments with mindless loyalty as his main trait. What's more I don't like his physical appearance or body language. He seems to be representing that Robb's cause is a losing cause, and provides, more than anything, a general lowering of tone among the Tullys.

In the books he is quite a subtle and honorable character who stood up to his brother, was always nice to his nephews and nieces as children, ignores Catelyn being under arrest or whatever you call it and goes up and hugs her, came up with the successful plan to capture Jaime, has planned as through a defense of Riverun as he can, escapes, but not before aiming a few blows at Jaime and his honor on the drawbridge. His being honorable and a famous knight himself is what makes it cutting - what would Jaime care what the TV shit-for-brains character had to say?

Archived