Something I don't understand about the wall...

Mijyt

What is the purpose of creating an entrance/exit for the wall? What is the purpose of the "ranging missions?" Why do the people of Westoros or the Night's Watch even feel compelled to go north of the Wall for any reason?

It seems like it was only intended as a plot device and little more. Logically, it doesn't make any sense to create a tunnel through the wall, nor do any of the ranging missions make sense. Just build the wall and defend it, don't go to the other side for any reason...

Can somebody explain this to me? A logical reason why you would need to go to the other side of the wall? Besides Bran of course, I'm talking about in general why the Nights Watch even bothers to mess with the wildlings in the first place. I came to this revelation when thinking about US foreign policy and how we always dick around in Muslim countries and end up just getting killed for no reason.

Because Wildlings can scale the wall, and they think the Wall is meant to hold back the Wildlings, therefore, the best way to keep them out is to go out, and beat them back before they can get over the Wall, that fails, just retreat South of the Wall and defend it from there, by then, they'd have lost too many men to continue onward South.

Well they need to keep the forest from creeping up to the wall making it easyer to climb (though it eventualy failed that was part of the point) Second they needed to know if and when the whites may come back or if the wildlings are planning to attack so they can posibaly call for reinforements from the rest of westeros, and to keep the wildlings and others down so they can not rise and take power enough to surpass the deffenders.

For one thing, men need to be sent out to keep a mile of clear land south of the Wall so that the NW can see their enemies approach. Also, they send rangers out to note wilding/other enemy movements and activites. If possible, they prefer to smash the wildlings before they reach the Wall. If that fails, they retreat to the Wall and begin the attack.

Because Wildlings can scale the wall, and they think the Wall is meant to hold back the Wildlings, therefore, the best way to keep them out is to go out, and beat them back before they can get over the Wall, that fails, just retreat South of the Wall and defend it from there, by then, they'd have lost too many men to continue onward South.

:agree:

Troll...

So glad the editors are keeping a lid on this crap.

The other day I saw a "Why do people like Catelyn Stark?" thread

My Sweet Summer Child, you will see threads in the future that are far worse, and they will appear at least once a week. Remember my words!

You're thinking the wall was built with the sole purpose of keeping men/women(wildlings) out. It was not. The wall was built to combat the true enemy in the walkers, it just so happens that the NW along with the rest of the kingdoms have forgotten that fact. It is believed that the NW and the wildlings joined to fight the walkers when they first came thousands of years prior. Also keep in mind that the wall is hundreds of feet high with significant forestry surrounding. So if wights were to attack some part of the wall that was out of sight how exactly do you get out to defend any such breech?

essentially the NW is designed to defend the realm in an ongoing war against the enemies beyond the wall.

The first rule of war is know your enemy.

How can you know your enemy if you spend all your time hiding from them behind the wall?

:agree:

My Sweet Summer Child, you will see threads in the future that are far worse, and they will appear at least once a week. Remember my words!

I'm sure you're right. I don't mind ppl arguing stuff I disagree with. But I HATE blanket ridiculousness that has no analysis or support.

It's also more hunting ground to provide for the Watch. Cutting down the trees in the forest north of the Wall for firewood and/or building materials serves the double purpose of preventing the forest from growing up too close to the Wall itself.

There's a little bit of game north of the Wall for grub too.

Plus, there's wildling women to couple with so the Watch has upstanding citizens such as Craster to help them out. (sarcasm implied)

1. Information is power. You send Rangers out to see what is happening and note enemy troop movements. 2. The Wall must be maintained. Trees and such must be kept away from the wall.
hit the nail on the head.

What is the purpose of creating an entrance/exit for the wall? What is the purpose of the "ranging missions?" Why do the people of Westoros or the Night's Watch even feel compelled to go north of the Wall for any reason?

It seems like it was only intended as a plot device and little more. Logically, it doesn't make any sense to create a tunnel through the wall, nor do any of the ranging missions make sense. Just build the wall and defend it, don't go to the other side for any reason...

Can somebody explain this to me? A logical reason why you would need to go to the other side of the wall? Besides Bran of course, I'm talking about in general why the Nights Watch even bothers to mess with the wildlings in the first place. I came to this revelation when thinking about US foreign policy and how we always dick around in Muslim countries and end up just getting killed for no reason.

To keep a sense of purpose. To let the wildlings know that the NW is still there and watching them (we do know the Wildlings can pass the Wall in small groups and that the raid Northern villages).

What i don’t get, why didn’t the wildlings just sail round the side of it, they engineer huge rams and the turtle way cant they make some rafts/sail boats. And i don’t think anyone mans the castles on the coast so they could slip right in? Always wondered this... :ninja:

Archived