TV Show ruining potential future plot twists

(I'm not really sure if this should be in this section or not but whatever)

Does anybody feel that the TV show is stopping the potential for later plot twists in the remaining novels?

Some examples:

• Edric Storm and any theories regarding him and his claim to the throne or Robert's bastards in general, as I'm assuming that Mel has taken Gendry in the latest episode to provide the king's blood she needs which she had been attempting to get from Edric, before Davos stepped in. This subsequently also has knock on effects regarding Gendry himself, the brotherhood, Arya and Gendry's relationship, Brienne I guess too etc etc
  • Robb's marriage. By making Robb's wife some random woman from the Free Cities, it stops anything theories regarding the future loyalties of the Westerlings after the Red Wedding and there's also been no talk of an heir with his wife in the series which kind of restricts lots of speculation around that.
  • The impact of Qarth on the battle for Slaver's Bay. I mean Dany has basically killed all of the important people in Qarth at the end of season two, before suddenly leaving at the beginning of season three with seemingly no consequences.

There are other examples that I might think of later but I'm really just wondering if anybody else is kind of disappointed with it or if anybody thinks the show might end up taking a completely different direction in later seasons.

(And then there is always the lack of depth to Tywin, over use of Olenna Tyrell and sympathetic characterisation of Cersei in the show and also the nagging feeling that in Varys and LF's speeches they're giving away all of their plans.)

ps I'm new.

welcome yes this has been said to death for real. I mean thats what happens when an adaption is made so i tend not to even care anymore look at how they made dany know barristan on the 1st meeting, kinda takes away the impact of her finding out jorah betrayed her and all.

Hell the show is making me like shae for some reason and worse is the lack of future tyrell no garlan or willas come on

i do agree with the cersei thing they make her and tyrion a whole lot more civil and understanding with each other

Yeah, I completely agree.

It is at least fun to speculate and try to predict the future plot of the series based on some of these decisions by the directors, since they know how it is going to end. Another example in the latest episode where

Melisandre meets Arya, sees that there is a darkness in her and says that they will "Meet again". What could this mean? Or how the same witch is told by Thoros in detail on how he resurrects people by giving them the kiss of Red Rahloo, which IMO makes it even more likely that Jon will get that treatment from her in TWOW.

As far as the show ruining potential future plot twists, why not just assume that the elimination of minor characters like Edric Storm, Jeyne Westerling and Xaro Xhoan Daxos means that they were only ever destined to be minor characters? In other words, cross those potential twists off the very long list of potential twists. That's how I view it, and I find it very satisfying ;)

Welcome to the boards, btw!

They didn't show Ned's dream about the ToJ (neither Dany's vision in the HoTU), and don't speak that much about Lyanna and Rhaegar

so when/or if Jon's parents get revealed it will be out of nowhere like "what?? Who the fuck is Lyanna?" or like "oh ok, whatever"

instead of

OMG HE MIGHT BE TPTWP

Was just thinking this, specifically regarding Gendry. Although the show does add some neat stuff ie. conversations that never happened, meetings between characters who've had no interaction in the books, it does unnecessarily change stuff seemingly for the sake of it. But the books are still there and they're always going to be better!

I believe it's hopeless to scour the TV show for clues to the future. It's simply too different. While their spoiler knowledge might theoretically affect one or two decisions, I think practically all decisions are only based on the TV present, not the book future.

We know there have been instances where GRRM warned them "No, don't kill that char! Gonna be important 6 books later!" and they ignored him, confident that they could deal with that bridge when they come to it, patch the hole and if in patching that hole they create new holes, they would patch them as well. They were most probably right.

Not at all, the show is different from the books, period.

Not to mention the fact that George has already said that the show will have some issues adjusting their storyline later on. They killed some Khal on the show that has a significant part in the upcoming books, they killed Marillion in the first season in KL. Needless to say, but the show will not dictate the story GRRM is telling in his books.

Well, D&D do know where things are going and would have had to pass the changes with GRRM so they couldn't have ruined anything big. I was actually happy with the Gendry/Edric change as it gives more importance and Plot to Gendry and I think it means there is a better chance of Gendry and Arya meeting again.

However, I am also worried that the show changes might have influenced plots that GRRM had in mind impacting the development of Edric and Gendry as individual characters. I hope he hasn't changed original ideas to suit the show.

However, I am also worried that the show changes might have influenced plots that GRRM had in mind impacting the development of Edric and Gendry as individual characters. I hope he hasn't changed original ideas to suit the show.

Can't imagine he has. For one, he knows that the show can just patch up holes they've dug for themselves by digging new ones. They'll have to do it so often that one or two more hardly matter. Also, he won't compromise his own magnum opus for a show that, however cool, is in a substantial part someone else's vision (and honestly isn't guaranteed to even reach the point where Edric/Gendry might matter).

Well, D&D do know where things are going and would have had to pass the changes with GRRM so they couldn't have ruined anything big.

Why? GRRM has said the books are his, the show is D&Ds. They don't run thing by him, otherwise they would kill people he's planning on using in the future.

Funny, did anyone happen to catch the last episode? Personally I think they may have given away arya as the valanquar in that scene with mel. Mel says something about seeing green eyes and death, and cersei does have green eyes. If so that kinda does kill the speculation on that end. O well

Funny, did anyone happen to catch the last episode? Personally I think they may have given away arya as the valanquar in that scene with mel. Mel says something about seeing green eyes and death, and cersei does have green eyes. If so that kinda does kill the speculation on that end. O well

Archived