Little Questions That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

iheartseverus

We had/have a 'Small Questions' thread in the Book Section--I'm hoping to open this one in the TV Section. If there's another thread where your question logically belongs without derailing that thread, post it there. If not, this is your thread!

Here's my question: In the opening credits, we see damaged Winterfell. As the flying camera is panning over it, we see at the left of the Winterfell grounds, some sort of white... pattern? rectangle? grid? What is that? The whiteness of it and the geometrical shape makes it look like someone dropped a computer chip on the Winterfell model. Anybody know what that white thing is?

Here's my question: In the opening credits, we see damaged Winterfell. As the flying camera is panning over it, we see at the left of the Winterfell grounds, some sort of white... pattern? rectangle? grid? What is that? The whiteness of it and the geometrical shape makes it look like someone dropped a computer chip on the Winterfell model. Anybody know what that white thing is?

I saw that too, but it looks like its just a weird grid shape on top of one of the buildings that rises up. I don't know why they chose such a distinctive color that stood out so much from the rest. Good question...

I'd also like to see the direwolves more too -- it's practically like they're not even part of the story anymore, jeez. I guess I can understand to some degree, though -- fur is a lot more difficult/expensive to make CGI for than relatively flat surfaces like the dragons, isn't it?

We had/have a 'Small Questions' thread in the Book Section--I'm hoping to open this one in the TV Section. If there's another thread where your question logically belongs without derailing that thread, post it there. If not, this is your thread!

Back to the original point of this thread before it got derailed, anybody got any ideas or answers about the white blotch on Winterfell?

Back to the original point of this thread before it got derailed, anybody got any ideas or answers about the white blotch on Winterfell?

Pretty sure you said the original point of this thread was to ask questions that don't belong elsewhere. Don't see how asking a question about the absent Direwolves is derailing the discussion...?

I'd like to know where Kevan and Lancel Lannister are this season. Surely given his youngest sons were captured and killed this season, we're due a scene to show the family's reaction?

Anyway, my guess with your question is that weird white shape possibly represents Wintertown, a market square located just outside of the walls?

Pretty sure you said the original point of this thread was to ask questions that don't belong elsewhere. Don't see how asking a question about the absent Direwolves is derailing the discussion...?

I'd like to know where Kevan and Lancel Lannister are this season. Surely given his youngest sons were captured and killed this season, we're due a scene to show the family's reaction?

Anyway, my guess with your question is that weird white shape possibly represents Wintertown, a market square located just outside of the walls?

Thanks for the Winterfell answer. As to 'derailing' or not, questions like 'where are the Direwolves' or 'where are Kevan and Lancel' are really questions about 'why aren't D and D showing us more direwolves?' (Of which I totally agree!) and 'Shouldn't D and D be giving us a scene with Lancel and Kevan?' Those are complaints/queries about the showrunners handling of the material, and not matters that anyone else on this board would be able to answer. And, they fit quite nicely in the 'Nitpick without Repercussions' threads available for each episode.

I think you're getting too caught up in the "that don't fit anywhere else" part of your topic title. You can't expect people to go through every other thread checking for appropriateness before coming here. If you actually want your thread to be used, better be a little more lenient.

• 1 month later...

This came up about a thousand times during at least seasons 1 and 2 :

Why were , almost all, the kid characters from the books 'aged up' for the TV series?

Well...... without buying them , just by the titles you can see there are welter of child labor labs in the UK, here:

http://www.actorsresourceguides.com/2013-london-actors-resource-guide-ebook.html

More of a comment.

I notice nowdays that HBO's 'Official Game of Thrones page' no long lists actors as 'cast' and 'guest cast', even tho in the opening credits the qualification as 'guest' is still there.

This has always been a strange page.

It's sort of all inclusive , but even if you watch the show may seem confusing there are links to a 'bio' page, but their fates not given.

For instance Mia Soteriou only appeared in 3 episodes , season 1, and is dead.

Eugene Simon who played Lancel Lanister in seasons 1 and 2 , is not even in season 3.

Roxanne McKee who had , maybe more speaking time than Amrita Acharia is not even listed.

Francis Magee who almost had a prominent role in season 2, but was also in season 1 is not even listed.

Nor is Jason Momoa.

O well that page has always been sort of awkward.

Why were , almost all, the kid characters from the books 'aged up' for the TV series?

Well...... without buying them , just by the titles you can see there are welter of child labor labs in the UK, here:

http://www.actorsresourceguides.com/2013-london-actors-resource-guide-ebook.html

Because of the nature of what Jon, Robb and Dany have to do. Even Arya, killing people.

http://www.actorsres...uide-ebook.html

I believe it was primarily for Dany, to make the sexual element of her S1 arc more acceptable. I don't think they would be allowed to show a 14 year old character having sex on-screen, no matter how old the actress was. That requires making the gap between Robert's Rebellion and the start of the series longer, which ages up Jon, which in turn causes an aging-up of the rest of the Stark kids... it's all a knock-on effect. Also, GRRM has commented that he wishes he has made the kids older from the start, to make their later exploits more believable, so they're also correcting George's past mistakes.

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but here's my nitpick/little question. Kings Landing. It seems too Mediterranean. I know it's filmed in Croatia, but maybe it wasn't the right place. Oh well, it just always seems jarring to me when they have outdoor location KL scenes.

Is there any significance to which cities on the HBO GO map have the little clickable upside-down teardrop things?

You can click on Volantis and Valyria, for example, but not Meereen. Has this changed as the show progressed? Does it mean we're going to see some of these cities soon?

ETA: they've completely updated the map, so my post doesn't make sense anymore. The map does seem to have some spots on Jaime & Brienne's S4-5 itinerary, though.

ETA 2: Why do some threads get pinned anyway, IHeartSeverus? Why am I pinned up here like a bug all day? Will somebody else please post a "little question"?

Because of the nature of what Jon, Robb and Dany have to do. Even Arya, killing people.

I believe it was primarily for Dany, to make the sexual element of her S1 arc more acceptable. I don't think they would be allowed to show a 14 year old character having sex on-screen, no matter how old the actress was. That requires making the gap between Robert's Rebellion and the start of the series longer, which ages up Jon, which in turn causes an aging-up of the rest of the Stark kids... it's all a knock-on effect. Also, GRRM has commented that he wishes he has made the kids older from the start, to make their later exploits more believable, so they're also correcting George's past mistakes.

While this might have played a role in the final decision, I think the TV show's advanced aging is mostly a reaction to lack of the mythical "five year gap." I think in at least one interview Martin said he would have made them all older if he knew the gap wasn't going to happen.

Archived