Little Questions That Don't Fit Anywhere Else

iheartseverus

^Not of the season, critics (and Gran de Lys) haven't seen the rest of the season. Only three episodes.

Ah, so you meant the first three episodes.

If Sansa and Stannis fans could have a big cry thread and limit the complaining to there, it would be amazing. Same complaints in every freaking thread on this forum. It's getting a little old.

Well if you stop moaning about it in every thread, it'll be good.

I personally don't think the second episode can top Blackwater and Rains of Castamere, but i'll wait and see it for myself.

"One of." Not the absolute best…I think, if they do the wedding justice, it could be a top contender (no matter what happens to Sansa or Stannis, two characters I'm personally largely indifferent to).

"One of." Not the absolute best…I think, if they do the wedding justice, it could be a top contender (no matter what happens to Sansa or Stannis, two characters I'm personally largely indifferent to).

Well i care a lot then. I love Stannis and Sansa is in my Top 5 favs.

However if they do the wedding justice, it'll be probably a good one, certainly not one of the best ones for me atleast.

So Sansa and Stannis both not portrayed faithfully, in the apparently best episode of the season, showed and reviewed by critics. Sigh.

C'mon we KNOW it can't be the best of the season, 8, 9 and 10 have to be the best, there is just no way to ruin what we all expect to happen those episodes

Guys before this gets out of hand lets make a new thread so we can stay on topic here. The Sansa discussion deserves it's own thread.

If Sansa and Stannis fans could have a big cry thread and limit the complaining to there, it would be amazing. Same complaints in every freaking thread on this forum. It's getting a little old.

Yes, if a mod is reading, it may be a good idea to have a "put all your complain here" pinned on top of every episode (just like the spoiled/non spoiled discussion last season)

So this is the complication ? I'm not sure I like it... Don't screw this up, guys :bang:

Oh and thank you for this, you're a peach.

Another reviewer mentioned that Brienne has a crush on Jaime, though we haven't heard anyone else with screeners confirm this. Brienne falling for Jaime is in fact in the books, and it's very obvious by the end of Feast (though there are hints of a shift in her behavior by the Oathkeeper scene in ASoS), but it's one of those things you have to pay attention to see, and many book readers are surprised by it until someone points it out for them (at which point, it's fairly glaring).

Perhaps that's what Gran de Lys is referring to as a complication? Certainly given the nature of screen adaptation, they will have to make it a bit more obvious than GRRM does (ala Renly/Loras--another one that a lot of book readers missed).

You are quite right, Newstar. To you and Colonel Green:

Thanks for the detailed answers, Gran de Lys! Much appreciated. Kind of surprised at the answers--I was not expecting those things to play out that way--but live and learn, I guess.

The 4x01 Tor.com review also has some spoilers for the episode, for the curious. It's a funny read, too.

Sounds like Sansa's love of lemoncakes is mentioned again, since she's so sad she won't even eat her lemoncakes, according to the reviewer. I guess that's what the

yellow thing in the little dish on Sansa's plate is.

Another thing that occurred to me after reading all the 4x01 spoilers:

Sounds like the Hound doesn't pick the fight over despair at news of Sansa as it's implied in the books. Nor is it clear that he's hurt as he was in the books, causing the wound that eventually enables Arya to leave him behind. I guess he could get hurt some other way--they've got 10 episodes to kill to get them through to the end of Arya's ASOS arc--and I guess he could pick another stupid fight or do something similarly suicidal over news of Sansa, but it seems like a big change.

Yes, if a mod is reading, it may be a good idea to have a "put all your complain here" pinned on top of every episode (just like the spoiled/non spoiled discussion last season)

Don't the episode forums usually have a nitpick thread for dedicated complaining? On the other hand, "nitpick" implies trivial problems with details (like Tyrion referring to Sansa as "Lady Stark" in 2x04), as opposed to big issues with plot, writing, and characterization, which is what many Sansa and Stannis fans--and book purists, I assume--have when it comes to those characters.

Sansa knows nothing about the escape. Before the PW, she flounces away from Tyrion to go to the Godswood, not for prayer but because "It's the only place no one tries to talk to me." Dontos is hulking and cringing around there and gives her the jewels. It's clear she's not expecting to meet him and hasn't been plotting her escape with him all this time. The actual escape happens very quickly--Dontos pulls her away, rows her out to a ghost ship, where she's surprised to see Baelish, Petyr shoots Dontos with an arrow. It's another in a long string of things that happen to her and she has no idea why.

Thanks for your answer, Gran de Lys.

But how did Dontos make sure that Sansa will wear the jewels he gave to her to the wedding?that's quite crucial to the whole escaping plan. I can't see the certainty of Sansa's wearing the jewels to the wedding feast.

Lordy, I can't keep up. And remember, please, that what I'm looking for, what I notice, nuances of my favorite characters and moments I might have missed while getting another glass of wine, all add up to my own experience of the first three episodes. So if things slip by because I wasn't paying attention or didn't much care or I was in a guild battle in Castle Age ... so it goes.

That said, I want to mention that HBO has been extremely generous to critics in releasing these episodes--and others from their shows--early to us, and I don't want to abuse that kindness or trust. So there are points of minutae and major points I am wary of addressing before the episodes have aired. I love you all and hope you understand.

Okies. Colonel Green:

Sansa just sits there like a lost little duckling, as usual. She is pretty much utterly without agency still. Any delving into her psychology other than "I wanna be the pretty pink princess" would be awesome at this point.

Regarding Reek: Hath4, I don't mean to obfuscate, but it's totally worth watching. We do not meet Ramsay's dogs or his bitches. Konradsmith, no, we don't see the bridge scene.

It's your funeral, Chris Kniphe, and apologies to Chickren

I never did notice this in the books but yes, apparently now Brienne is in lurrrrve with Jaime and Cersei knows it. This, to me, obliterates the power of the scene in the hot springs from S3. For me, GRRM's genius in re Brienne was in creating a character so much fun to read about who herself had absolutely no sense of humor. Her thing is absolute loyalty. So her admiration for and crush on Renly led her deeper and deeper into performing tasks for people/houses she despised, but she always had her iron sense o honor to keep her warm. (Whereas, if you think about it, poor Stannis' iron will is ruining his life. Interesting.) When she rises from the water naked, it is such an explosion of emotion, bare and pure, that you gasp. If the book was subtle about it, believe me, the show is subtler. So suddenly she wants to bang Jaime and suddenly I'm over it. Unless Cersei uses it against her. That could be a fun game.

As to E2:

It is by no means the greatest, most shocking ep of all. As I said, it goes by rather swiftly. I believe this is to contrast with the RW's deservedly protracted depiction. Also, one celebration at which a character is killed that's dispatched efficiently means we won't be numb to suchlike doings by the time the Frey pie is served. Because I'm betting that's going to be DELICIOUS. So expect many higher peaks in S4. At least I am. :)

Lordy, I can't keep up. And remember, please, that what I'm looking for, what I notice, nuances of my favorite characters and moments I might have missed while getting another glass of wine, all add up to my own experience of the first three episodes. So if things slip by because I wasn't paying attention or didn't much care or I was in a guild battle in Castle Age ... so it goes.

That said, I want to mention that HBO has been extremely generous to critics in releasing these episodes--and others from their shows--early to us, and I don't want to abuse that kindness or trust. So there are points of minutae and major points I am wary of addressing before the episodes have aired. I love you all and hope you understand.

No explanation needed. You've gone above and beyond to even bother to take the time to answer one question, let alone all the questions, about episodes we'll have all seen by this time next month. Thanks so much for indulging our fannish fervour.

Stan the Man Baratheon

It is specifically stated that Selyse's brother would not disavow the Seven and that is why he is burned.

And at Sati

Clawing at, but not ripping any flesh. Still the way his face looks as he dies is amazing. White as salt, with ice-blue blazing eyes. It's really freaking scary.

My dear Catrivero, that is a great question. I skimmed and skimmed looking for it but

can't find one point at which Sansa is encouraged to wear Dontos' necklace. The best I can think is that because he begs her to let his house have one more day in the sun, her soft heart leads her to put the jewels on. On the ghost-ship, Petyr announces that he planted these worthless things on Dontos, for what that's worth. I guess we are not meant to see the machinations that lead to Joffrey's death.

I never did notice this in the books but yes, apparently now Brienne is in lurrrrve with Jaime and Cersei knows it. This, to me, obliterates the power of the scene in the hot springs from S3. For me, GRRM's genius in re Brienne was in creating a character so much fun to read about who herself had absolutely no sense of humor. Her thing is absolute loyalty. So her admiration for and crush on Renly led her deeper and deeper into performing tasks for people/houses she despised, but she always had her iron sense o honor to keep her warm. (Whereas, if you think about it, poor Stannis' iron will is ruining his life. Interesting.) When she rises from the water naked, it is such an explosion of emotion, bare and pure, that you gasp. If the book was subtle about it, believe me, the show is subtler. So suddenly she wants to bang Jaime and suddenly I'm over it. Unless Cersei uses it against her. That could be a fun game.

I'm so happy about this, I'm not going to lie. To Gran de Lys,

here's some book quotes from Brienne's chapters to show you that Brienne's crush on Jaime has always been canon:

http://brienneoftarth.tumblr.com/post/57690063168/would-that-jaime-had-come-with-me-a-selection-of

Archived