Werthead

The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold

143 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Chronological.

I've read Shards of Honor, Barrayar, The Warriors Apprentice, Brothers in Arms, and Cetaganda.

Weirdly, I'm going to say the most frustrating part of the books for me is the fact there's a certain blind spot for the Smallfolk (so to speak) in the books the same way there is in A Song of Ice and Fire. Centaganda seems like it was made to humanize them and make them less repellent but it actually makes me think they need to be wiped from the face of the Earth because they're engineering slave castes without free will. Miles utterly ignores this, though, because he is only seeing the upper class as people. Which is, of course, perfectly fine and in character for him as a Vor.

I also amusingly like comparing Miles to Tyrion, both in terms of flaws and attitude.

Cordelia, of course, remains my favorite character.

You didn't read Vor Game? 

I skipped Barrayar.

Regarding your point about the smallfolk, I suggest you read the novella - At the Mountains of Mourning, which was included in the novel Borders of Infinity. It is about this particular aspect. 

For me the best book of the series was Mirror Dance, and the funniest was A Civil Campaign. 

When reading Miles,I don't mind admitting that I often suspend critical thought and disbelief for a bit as following Miles into one of his peculiarly vertiginous capers has an euphoric feeling. 

5 hours ago, Andorion said:

I skipped Barrayar.

Regarding your point about the smallfolk, I suggest you read the novella - At the Mountains of Mourning, which was included in the novel Borders of Infinity. It is about this particular aspect.

I was just about to make the same suggestion about At The Mountains of Mourning, it's a really good story and offers a perspective that's not often seen in the series.

Oh yes, I enjoyed it a great deal.

Cavilo was a great villain and I loved how Gregor really does threaten the whole of the Barrayan Empire by his attempt just to get some space in a typical fantasy/scifi way.

Edited by C.T. Phipps