So, How's your Hugo Reading Going?

Xray the Enforcer

For a recap, these are the five novels up for the Hugo:

Accelerando by Charles Stross

A Feast for Crows by GRRM

Learning the World by Ken MacLeod

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

(I don't wish to limit this thread to just the novels -- these are the only ones I've had the time to read, with the idea that I'll get to the short stories in a month or so. If you want to pimp/thrash a nominee in another category, feel free to do so)

I have to admit, I'm not feeling the love. In fact, I was desperately hoping that Old Man's War or Spin would throttle me--spin me around by my ankles!--because I didn't wish to have my vote already decided before the goddamned list was even out. Instead, I am recursing the Hugos for dissing some of my favorite books of 2005 (The Warrior-Prophet; River of Gods) in favor of some pretty substandard fare. (note: not all of that list is substandard fare. just to make that clear.)

So, even those who aren't going to be voting for the Hugos, but who've read some of those books, gimme your thoughts. Or just lend some emotional support for my travails.

A full list of the nominees can be found here.

I once walked into class late (2nd week of the semester, I'd skipped the first two classes) and asked a physics professor why he had a fraternity symbol on the board.

He didn't get it and then tried to kick me out of class because I "obviously wasn't prepared to understand the lecture."

Whatever, that guy fucking sucked.

I loved Spin. Sorry you didn't feel the love, X.

I'm still undecided over who to vote for. It will probably come down to the wire.

River of Gods was a nominee last year, and so can't be up this year (It was released in 2004 in UK).

My votes:

-Novel: AFFC or Spin.

-Novella: Magic For Beginners - Kelly Link (no-brainer)

-Novellette: The King of Where-I-Go by Howard Waldrop

-Short Story: Singing My Sister Down by Margo Lanagan (no-brainer)

-Best Artist: John Picacio

The rest I will be abstaining from, I think, though I may vote for Locus.

Spin and Learning the World are the only novels I've yet to read -- so far I am inclined to A Feast for Crows. In preference order so far:

Novel: AFfC, Accelerando, No Award

Novella: "Magic for Beginners", Burn, "The Little Goddess", "Inside Job", No Award

Novellette: "Two Hearts", "The King of Where-I-Go", "The Calorie Man", No Award

Best Short Story: "Singing My Sister Down", No Award (weak-ass selections for this one, other than Lanagan's story)

Best Pro Editor: Datlow, Hartwell, Williams, von Gelder, Schmidt

I still haven't decided between Spin and AFFC. and also haven't yet read Burn and some novelettes. As for now it goes like this:

Novel; Spin/AFFC, Accelerando, Learning the World, Old Man's War

Novella: The Little Goddess, Inside Job, no award

Novelette: Two Hearts, The Calorie Man, no award

Short story: Singing My SIster Down, Clockwork Atomic Bomb, no award.

I'll eventually read Spin. Reading Hugo nominees became not so important with me after reading "Bones of the Earth" by Swanwick a couple years ago. What a piece of crap that was.

"Magic for Beginners" and "Inside Job" are both good, but Link should win hands down.

I loved Spin. Sorry you didn't feel the love, X.

River of Gods was a nominee last year, and so can't be up this year (It was released in 2004 in UK).

Thanks for the clarification on RoG, Stego.

I really wanted to like Spin. The premise itself was amazing -- one of the more interesting ones I've read in awhile, with a full complement of well-thought-out consequences. My problem with the book rests with the characters' lack of blood or dimensionality. At first I thought that maybe it was because the book was told in the first person by someone who had been numbed by his experiences with the Spin...but I think it's more than that. So, in my eyes, Spin gets a 10 for a great concept, but a 6 for bland (not bad, just bland) prose. I just didn't enjoy that book. :(

Old Man's War was more entertaining, but clumsy...

I can’t imagine A Feast for Crows winning. It didn’t approach the year’s best work, though, it was an excellent novel. Spin and Accelerando were both superior to A Feast for Crows and I’m not sure which I prefer. Learning the World was also a good read and in my book was better than A Feast for Crows. Old Man’s War was entertaining but not as well done as it could have been. Overall Accelerando and Spin were the best novels nominated. I would also agree that Kelly Link is a shoo in for best Novella.

Per Iocum:

Accelerando is nowhere close to Stross's best work, and for that reason, I believe is not worthy of the Hugo.

I hate Ken MacLeods work. I respect that people disagree, but I refuse to waste any more time with his stuff.

Spin is worthy of the Hugo.

If AFFC wins, it will be an award for ASoIaF as a series, not A Feast For Crows itself.

Old Man's War was a fun read, but not award-worthy. It's on the list because Sclazi has a popular blog.

Stego:

Accelerando may not have been Stross's finest work but as a whole it was better than A Feast for Crows. Glad to see another fan of Spin which is indeed Hugo worthy. Also whats wrong with Macleod? I'll also restate my view on Old Man's War. I enjoyed it and it was entertaining but it wasn't as well done as it could have been. It doesn't deserve a Hugo.

For the Spin lovers: why? (And I totally understand that we're getting into the personal taste arena. I'm just curious why some people like this book so much.)

I found Spin to be wholly lacking in any kind of spark, fillip or even whiff of wordsmithy. This can be a neutral, or even positive, attribute to some stories, but not to one whose entire narrative arc depends on believable character interactions. None of the characters were more than cardboard cutouts; they were devices. Now, this is fine under certain circumstances, but in this instance I found it to completely negate the hypothetical (pun not intended) science/Spin problem. For me, the book was entirely bloodless. And a book like that will not garner a win vote from me.

Big ideas that are the staple of great science fiction and a sensuwundah. Science fiction does not have to be well written to be magical. coughasimovcough.

I suppose that could be true, although the first Asimov books I read I really had to grit my teeth and slog through the writing. That didn't exactly make for a magical feeling, no matter what the ideas behind. And afterwards...I can't say it's stuck with me as well as other, better written works.

Archived