[Book Spoilers] Gendry's upcoming arc

What do you all expect to see with Gendry(slash edric storm kinda) for the rest of the season? Does he befriend Davos and he then will eventually send him on his way kinda like with Edric? The movement from the original canon makes for some serious questions about Gendry's arc going forward, fergodsakes, hes supposed to still be associated with the brotherhood in book 4. If I had to guess, i'd say he talks some with Davos, but he might end up escaping on his own while Stannis and the rest of them leave for the wall (though they may not do that this season, maybe the beginning of the next). We are going to see some dark stuff though, as we see what Melisandre has planned for him. They could have shown a bit more with Stannis this season, instead of maybe showing some of the Joffrey/Margaery scenes they could have included the florents and their fanaticism, with alester getting burned.

My prediction for the rest of his arc:

3x07: Gendry and Melisandre arrive in Dragonstone, he learns his purpose for Stannis.

3x08: Davos convinces Gendry to leave Dragonstone after he is leeched by Maester Pylos.

3x09: Davos successfully smuggles Gendry out of Dragonstone.

He'll basically take up Edric's role.

Pretty sure (based on what we've seen in the trailers for S3) that part of Gendry's "sacrifice" will be boning Mel. Not sure if that will occur in this episode or not but I would put pretty good money on it being now when they're on their own and not back in Dragonstone.

I can't figure out if they're going to just use his blood in some form to create the leeches or go in another direction and maybe create another shadow baby (for what purpose, I don't know). I don't know why Melisandre would feel the need to sex Gendry up unless she was trying to get impregnated.

I also am unsure how they're going to depict the whole "death of the throne pretenders" deal since the show has pretty well ignored Balon Greyjoy as a legit contender. Stannis said earlier this season that he wanted Robb and Joffrey dead but had no mention of Balon. None of the other characters on the show mention him as a threat so they'd have to do some work to get him included in the mix.

The show also hasn't revealed exactly what Melisandre showed Stannis in the flames in the S2 finale. This could be the vision of him taking on the Wildlings like it was in the books or they could very well have Stannis reveal (to Davos perhaps) that he saw the death of his rivals there which would mean no leeches would be necessary.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Gendry's going to be used to make another shadow baby and my best speculation is that this is the thing that goes and knocks Balon off the bridge to his death.

But then again, I have no real idea where they're going with Balon's storyline and if they'll even show him at all this season and simply delay that development until early in S4. Knowing that Yara for sure is going to show up some time soon has led me to believe that we're going to see interactions between her and Balon but there's been absolutely no news on Patrick Malahide being back this season. Maybe Yara is just there to show her hunting for Theon from Deepwood Motte later on but to me, that's kind of a waste. I've been a big proponent of not having Balon die offscreen on the show like he does in the books because that's a moment that really should be shown.

Does anybody else find it a bit rushed? Ideally, we should have had Gendry been taken away last episode, so that Stannis' dilemma and Davos' decision to smuggle him out of Dragonstone is reasonably well-paced. Davos still hasn't been released yet, so it's a bit alarming that he would betray Stannis' orders so soon after being released from prison.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I think the 3 leeches will be replaced with Stannis' dead sons.

I don't know. Mel's line about Gendry making kings rise and fall makes me think they are going to keep the leeches.

I don't know. Mel's line about Gendry making kings rise and fall makes me think they are going to keep the leeches.

Interesting. Because.. why?

Because it will be his blood what make Kings rise and fall. (fall those who are going to die, Robb, Balon and Joffrey, Rise the new usurpers Tommen, Euron)

I don't think the sacrifice storyline will play out totally this season, it makes for a better storyline next season. But then what's the climax this season. It does seem they'll keep the 'shadowbaby' plot since it's an established one (in comparison to the leeches). I got no idea really...

I don't see the purpose of any future shadow babies, other than

to push Balon off a bridge. Robb dies at the hand of Roose (no shadow baby necessary as this needs to happen to show Roose's defection) and Joffrey is poisoned (which is also necessary to set up Tyrion's future storylines)

Sacrificing the babies in the jars makes much more sense then it can be portrayed as some 'dark magic' taking place, rather than a shadow baby doing all the work. When viewers think of shadow babies they will think of Renly's death, which isn't going to happen to the other kings.

I would say they are. He needs the remaining kings dead, and shadow babies are the most effective way of achieving them.

How are they supposed to send shadowbabies to kill any of the Kings? Robb and Joffrey definitely can't be killed by a shadowbaby for plot reasons, and Balon Greyjoy is hundreds of miles away; last season Melisandre needed to get as close as possible to Renly to kill him. Why would they send a shadowbaby after Balon anyway? Joffrey is the main threat to Stannis.

I don't see the purpose of any future shadow babies, other than

to push Balon off a bridge. Robb dies at the hand of Roose (no shadow baby necessary as this needs to happen to show Roose's defection) and Joffrey is poisoned (which is also necessary to set up Tyrion's future storylines)

Sacrificing the babies in the jars makes much more sense then it can be portrayed as some 'dark magic' taking place, rather than a shadow baby doing all the work. When viewers think of shadow babies they will think of Renly's death, which isn't going to happen to the other kings.

I knew it!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Oh lor. If Mel does create a shadow baby with Gendry,

I hope it's not going to kill the person tonight's spoilers can/may suggest it will kill. That would be a huge departure from the books, and one I would not be in favour of.

The actress who plays Sansa did comment about a surprise for book readers, I just hope this is not what she meant.

Sorry for being cryptic, but I don't want to spoil anything about today's ep in this thread.

I would say they are. He needs the remaining kings dead, and shadow babies are the most effective way of achieving them.

The thing is none of the "kings" are actually killed by shadow babies so it would be kind of pointless. Imagine the RW going all peacefully and then suddenly - bam shadowbaby. Doesn't work.

Oh lor. If Mel does create a shadow baby with Gendry,

I hope it's not going to kill the person tonight's spoilers can/may suggest it will kill. That would be a huge departure from the books, and one I would not be in favour of.

The actress who plays Sansa did comment about a surprise for book readers, I just hope this is not what she meant.

Sorry for being cryptic, but I don't want to spoil anything about today's ep in this thread.

Cryptic, yes. Bring it over to the Spoiler thread? I'm curious what you're hinting at...

Archived