Least favourite ASOIAF book and why?

It might be blasphemy to say on here you didn't like the books but My least favourite book in the series is AFFC main reason my two fav were missing (Jon &Dany). when I bought the books I thought they were like the first three but apparently books 4&5 were divided geographically (don't like that). I had to force myself to read AFFC there is TOO many Ironborn POV, hate the Ironborn/Greyjoys and everyone of them gets a POV. Brienne chapters could have been cut in half, her chapters are soooo slow you can picture her going door to door "have you seen a maid....."

I might be the only one but what about you guys? What's your least Fav book and why?

I dislike Feast the most because it lacks some of the central characters, Jon, Dany, and Tyrion for example. And instead it focuses on characters who we aren't given much reason to be emotionally invested in such as the Ironborn and Dornish.

I enjoyed AFfC the least mainly because of Brienne's travelogue (except the Quiet Isle and Septon Meribald, which I really liked), the lack of Jon chapters and the fact that Aeron's chapters were annoying, otherwise it was great.

The problems I found in ADwD were that Tyrion lost my sympathy and I couldn't care less about Dany's storyline in Meereen.

I think most will agree with you about AFFC, I know I do. None of my favorite POVs (Theon, Jon, Daenerys,Bran) and like you said most of the chapters were really slow. Also, pretty I've seen this same topic before but whateva whateva.

My apologies if there is, I searched there are a lot of least fav characters n POV, didn't find one on books.

I dislike Feast the most because it lacks some of the central characters, Jon, Dany, and Tyrion for example. And instead it focuses on characters who we aren't given much reason to be emotionally invested in such as the Ironborn and Dornish.

Yes that is the other thing the Ironborn are really introduced here but they are hard, cruel ppl after theon I have no sympathy for them, I don't care what they do, don't want them to succeed in any of their endeavours. So didnt all the Greyjoys getting the own POV and so many chapters. I missed any hints in their chapters cause I was just skimming through those chapters. Thank goodness for this forum.

Most people will say A Feast For Crows but recently I have come to regard it as one of the better books (second only to Storm of Swords). This is because of the change in prose style to a more contemplative, slower read - but with much more emphasis on theme and subtext. I mean, just re-read that kingsmoot chapter, it's a goddamned masterpiece.

I think most people are alienated by Feast for Crows due to the change in structure (Minor Point of View characters are introduced) and pace. To me, "A Game of Thrones" is actually the worst - the prose is very awkward in the first half of the book as GRRM gets himself together and for me it detracts from the story.

My least fav is ADWD.

Theon was excellent, but Tyrion and Danny destroyed it for me. The pace alone was abhorred.

ADWD was really a mixed bag for me. Tyrion and Dany, agreed, were pretty terrible and uninteresting but Bran, and as you said Theon were some of my favourites out of the whole series, and the minor POVs (with the exception of the weird random Mel chapter) were excellent. As it stands ADWD is probably 4th on my list.

ADWD was really a mixed bag for me. Tyrion and Dany, agreed, were pretty terrible and uninteresting but Bran, and as you said Theon were some of my favourites out of the whole series, and the minor POVs (with the exception of the weird random Mel chapter) were excellent. As it stands ADWD is probably 4th on my list.

Tyrion's chapters in ADWD for me was as fake as it gets, i don't know if george was trying show that Tyrion like all the characters can have horrible, unexpected things happen to them, but i think he failed in that because you can tell he'll get out of it, he gets sold into slavery but the whole thing was a waste because as usual he talks his way out if this too.

Tyrion's chapters in ADWD for me was as fake as it gets, i don't know if george was trying show that Tyrion like all the characters can have horrible, unexpected things happen to them, but i think he failed in that because you can tell he'll get out of it, he gets sold into slavery but the whole thing was a waste because as usual he talks his way out if this too.

Yeah, it's transitionary, the entire story feels like it's just an excuse to get Tyrion from Pentos to Meereen and (as the last line of his story states) get on Dany's side.

If your'e gonna troll then at leat use correct grammar.

I actually don´t think he was trolling :laugh:

Some people adore Feast, and some people hate it. But 80% is a bit much, I agree.

On Topic: This is a very hard question... I think Clash might be my least favorite, because I did not like Bran, Theon or Davos´s Povs..

I am going to have a unpopular opinion, I have enjoyed all the books.

Of course you enjoyed them. No least favorite? :crying:

Yeah, it's transitionary, the entire story feels like it's just an excuse to get Tyrion from Pentos to Meereen and (as the last line of his story states) get on Dany's side.

Which will make Dany look dumb talking into her service the son of the man who slaughtered her family. The Dany haters on here will have a field day.

It might be blasphemy to say on here you didn't like the books but My least favourite book in the series is AFFC main reason my two fav were missing (Jon &Dany). when I bought the books I thought they were like the first three but apparently books 4&5 were divided geographically (don't like that). I had to force myself to read AFFC there is TOO many Ironborn POV, hate the Ironborn/Greyjoys and everyone of them gets a POV. Brienne chapters could have been cut in half, her chapters are soooo slow you can picture her going door to door "have you seen a maid....."

I might be the only one but what about you guys? What's your least Fav book and why?

You are so right. Her first chapters were exactly this, but Septon Meribald, the Quiet Isle, the Bloody Mummers and Stoneheart made it worth it.

Most people will say A Feast For Crows but recently I have come to regard it as one of the better books (second only to Storm of Swords). This is because of the change in prose style to a more contemplative, slower read - but with much more emphasis on theme and subtext. I mean, just re-read that kingsmoot chapter, it's a goddamned masterpiece.

I think most people are alienated by Feast for Crows due to the change in structure (Minor Point of View characters are introduced) and pace. To me, "A Game of Thrones" is actually the worst - the prose is very awkward in the first half of the book as GRRM gets himself together and for me it detracts from the story.

I always said aFfC was my least favorite book for all the reasons on the OP (especially the Ironborn), eventhough I liked some characters like Hotah and Arianne. However, after your post, I'm willing to read it again and to pay more attention.

ADWD.

Outstanding positives:

- Tyrion's early chapters in Pentos and along the Rhoyne, and his very last chapter.

- Asha's chapters after her men get set upon by Stannis and the Northmen at Deepwood Motte.

- The insight given by Theon's chapters into the Bolton creepiness and Northern politics.

Outstanding negatives:

- Everything in Meereen.

- Quentyn Martell. What a pointless story arc. Totally forgettable characters.

- Areoh Hotah. Endless monologues, internal and from Doran. Utter boredom.

- Tyrion's chapters from Volantis onwards up until the second last one.

- The endless internal monologue of Theon's chapters.

- Varys' monologue in the epilogue. Nice story twist, but does it have to be delivered through yet another monologue???

ADWD got better when I re-read it and skipped all the Meereen chapters.

ADWD.

Outstanding positives:

- Tyrion's early chapters in Pentos and along the Rhoyne, and his very last chapter.

- Asha's chapters after her men get set upon by Stannis and the Northmen at Deepwood Motte.

- The insight given by Theon's chapters into the Bolton creepiness and Northern politics.

Outstanding negatives:

- Everything in Meereen.

- Quentyn Martell. What a pointless story arc. Totally forgettable characters.

- Areoh Hotah. Endless monologues, internal and from Doran. Utter boredom.

- Tyrion's chapters from Volantis onwards up until the second last one.

- The endless internal monologue of Theon's chapters.

- Varys' monologue in the epilogue. Nice story twist, but does it have to be delivered through yet another monologue???

ADWD got better when I re-read it and skipped all the Meereen chapters.

I agree with most of this.

Also, the Jon and Bran chapters were quite good IMO.

And instead it focuses on characters who we aren't given much reason to be emotionally invested in such as the Ironborn and Dornish.

For that reason its my second favorite after ASOS.

My least favorite would have to be ADWD. Yes it has some of my favorite characters, but their stories were basically showing their low points (Yes Tyrion, Im looking at you). My main problem with Dance is that it feels...incomplete, as there are so many cliffhangers.

Archived