[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

Ygritte/Jon scenes aren't bad, the problem is that aren't very consistent with the progress of their relationship in the show and are kinda messy. The kind of mischievousness and camaraderie they had in this episode should have come first than the scene in that cave.

I don't see how Jon Snow goes for her without the cave scene coming first. It's sad to say but Jon Snow is a virgin that doesn't want to father bastards and has never been with a woman. Therefore he's not going to "fall in love with her" without experiencing sex.

I didn't either, till someone posted a link to this video:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jsTVnZm9hFg

Let me guess without even clicking on it, the Roose Honeypot? That video is the most cracked pot thing ever conceived on this show. I would say that Lannister don't have a monopoly on silk that Talisa writes letters in Valyerian that Arya finds a letter from a Lannister battle commander etc. but to destroy that theory all it takes is realizing one simple fact about Tywin Lannister:

Tywin is not going to have a spy sleep with Robb, to make him break his oath. If Tywin could get a spy that close to him then Robb would've died in season 2.

I don't see how Jon Snow goes for her without the cave scene coming first. It's sad to say but Jon Snow is a virgin that doesn't want to father bastards and has never been with a woman. Therefore he's not going to "fall in love with her" without experiencing sex.

Let me guess without even clicking on it, the Roose Honeypot? That video is the most cracked pot thing ever conceived on this show. I would say that Lannister don't have a monopoly on silk that Talisa writes letters in Valyerian that Arya finds a letter from a Lannister battle commander etc. but to destroy that theory all it takes is realizing one simple fact about Tywin Lannister:

Tywin is not going to have a spy sleep with Robb, to make him break his oath. If Tywin could get a spy that close to him then Robb would've died in season 2.

That's a good point. I really don't want to believe she is a spy anyway. Robb suffers enough. He doesn't need that kind of betrayal on top of everything he is already going to go through. I want to think he has some happiness before the end but as Ramsay said, this show and the books aren't really about happy endings.

A lot of Jon/Ygritte scenes were from the books or based on the books. Jon telling Ygritte about the stone castles, Ygritte saying "We may die, but first we live, Jon Snow".

Yup, that last one was based on the books. That's 4 (a tie with last week).

Seriously? That's the most book faithful portion of the show.

I am appalled that they show women being complicit in Theon's torture. The women had it just as bad (in some cases worse) at Ramsay's hands. Instead these two seemed to be enjoying the show.

I don't remember Margery giving Sansa sex tips, or Tormund talking about the proper pace to enter in intercourse, or Robb talking with "Talisa" naked.

About the last example, I wish they didn't do that. It was distracting. It reminds me of those absurd Playboy news shows where the women just took their clothes off while discussing the news, and you could no longer pay attention.

I think we concurred on another thread about the absurdity of that Theon scene. In what world do hot women get into flaying and become torture accomplices? It seems like something out of Dracula. Ramsay never came across to me as a ladies' man either, but rather a thing out of nightmares for a woman.

About the sex in the novels... Ok, GRRM does lay it a little thick at times, especially with Tyrion. That's one reason why I wasn't as fond of Tyrion's POVs as some. He was always horny and it got kind of annoying.

My boyfriend (who coincidentally just returned from a long fishing trip and I'm very, very fair lol) said - "why is Jorah so tan and Dany so pale? How is that possible?" :lol: good nitpick

I'll make it easy. I tried to keep count of scenes that had some basis from the books. I got 3.

1)Daenerys' parley

2)Jaime talking with Qyburn

3)Jaime and the bearpit

...So yeah, "nitpick" is an understatement.

I do that as well, but there are way more than that in this episode. You also have Jon and Ygritte, Arya being captured by the Hound (pretty much) and most everything at Harrenhall.

The first few scenes felt ridiculously mushy to me...if I was an Unsullied I'm pretty sure I would have almost vomited, or maybe even fell asleep.

The Theon/Ramsay scene turned out pretty well, but...I don't know about those girls. Like congokong said, it did kind of feel like something about of Dracula.

Talisa is so fucking annoying. Sorry, but she is. Cat seems to be an afterthought. There is too much romantic shit between Talisa/Robb when I would prefer to hear more between him and his family, particularly his mother, considering the both of them are about to DIE.

I'm glad there was any line about sending regards, but saying "Lannisters" cheapens it a bit. Do. not. like.

-Orell/Jon/Ygritte love triange. Yeah. Don't need this at all.

-Bran is still boring as shit.

-Didn't get the "I only rescue maidens" line.

-Margaery and Sansa was a bit ehh. We get it. They're BFFs now, apparently. I don't see why Dormer has to be shoe-horned into everything

-Robb not being as cool as Stannis and having sex on the table

-Need more northern lords.

-Ramsay the pimp.

But most of these nitpicks are minor. I didn't have major problems with this episode, it just didn't wow me.

I think we concurred on another thread about the absurdity of that Theon scene. In what world do hot women get into flaying and become torture accomplices? It seems like something out of Dracula. Ramsay never came across to me as a ladies' man either, but rather a thing out of nightmares for a woman.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the show, Ramsay's bitches aren't hounds, but instead hot naked ladies for the sole purpose of padding out HBO's boobs quota :P

But most of these nitpicks are minor. I didn't have major problems with this episode, it just didn't wow me.

Agree.....flat episode, but nothing really upset me.

It's not really a love triangle, Ygritte doesn't give a shit about Orell. He's just a jealous douche.

True, Orell's pretty obviously in the Unrequited Love Zone but it still came across as a little silly and juvenile.

My biggest complaint is the handling of Catelyn on the show. A few things were meh but the only thing I really outright disliked was the Cat stuff. :/

It's not really a love triangle, Ygritte doesn't give a shit about Orell. He's just a jealous douche.

Yeah, but Orell not trusting Jon because he's of the Night's Watch is a perfectly valid reason. We don't need to make this into a soap opera with him loving Ygritte. For a second, it felt as if Crook was channeling a bit of Gareth Keenan in that scene.

I think, by making Tyrion both unambiguously good and attractive (for a dwarf), they've left themselves in somewhat of a bind with the Sansa match. If Tyrion is ugly as sin and missing half a nose in addition to being a dwarf and a Lannister, then we can sympathize to a degree with Sansa in not really wanting to be married to him.

Here, though? I think there will be a massive backlash against Sansa when and if she responds to Tyrion as she does in the books.

I have a lot of problems with this episode, too many to even list. But I'll attempt to write the most nagging ones:

1) Cat, or lack thereof. Come on, she's a POV character. She seemed to have been cast aside, and I can't understand why. We've had more lines from Ros this season than from Cat, and she's dead.

2) Jaime, Qyburn and co. seemed to have teleported to Winterfell. I'm pretty sure that scene where Qyburn treated Jaime's stump was filmed at the same place where Ned executed that guy's head in the first ep. I really do not like the discontinuity here.

3) Talisa. Now that she's pregnant she'll probably replace fake-Arya as the Bolton's claim to Winterfell. I don't like this, mostly because I hate Talisa with a passion and would hope to never see her again after the RW. Alas.

4) The silly Jon/Ygritte/Orell love triangle. If you wanna talk about actual character assassination, Orell is a prime example. I hate how they are simplifying him as a lovesick puppy mooning over Ygritte. I mean, they guy's a goddamn warg you couldn't have that be his story arc?

Ugh, 5/10 from me. Worst episode of the series. Would have given a 3 but +1 for showing three dragons, +0.5 for the bear, and +0.5 for instrumental The Rains of Castamere.

I think, by making Tyrion both unambiguously good and attractive (for a dwarf), they've left themselves in somewhat of a bind with the Sansa match. If Tyrion is ugly as sin and missing half a nose in addition to being a dwarf and a Lannister, then we can sympathize to a degree with Sansa in not really wanting to be married to him.

Here, though? I think there will be a massive backlash against Sansa when and if she responds to Tyrion as she does in the books.

Hopefully they'll just cut the whole "bowing" at the wedding thing completely.

Archived