(Book Spoilers) Gendry

My three hopes for Gendry's now different future are:

1. Davos doesn't have to ship him away, he convinces Stannis to not burn him alive and use him as proof that Joffrey isn't Robert's son to gain support from the North. He then shows Stannis the Wall's plead for help and they sail to the Wall. Gendry smiths for the Watch and their "one armed guy dies against the giant" and we get some very interesting conversations between the bastards of Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon.

1. Gendry knows Yoren is dead, so Jon doesn't have to speculate on it.

2. Gendry knows Arya escaped KL etc. so Jon finds out a little bit about Arya, the real Arya

3. Gendry might even give Jon his "at least your father took care of you, mine never even acknowledged that I was alive and my mother never even admitted who he was, she just claimed that if he was here then he'd beat me bloody."

Mya Stone does knows that Robert is her father, she just doesn't admit it to people. It's an abandonment issue, really sad when you factor in that it's that bitch Cersei's fault that Robert couldn't bring her to KL like he wanted to.

these are all fun and i wish gendry could have these sorts of options for his future but i doubt most of them. first of all, while producing gendry and mya and any other of robert's children would strengthen his claim that cersei's children are not robert's, they would be in direct competition for the throne. he'll never do that.

gendry's knowledge, while helpful, is hardly keeping people awake at night. and mya doesn't know exactly who her dad is. so most of these are unrealistic. that said, i predict that gendry will be the one that keeps the baratheon line alive. edric, too. they weren't spared for nothing.

i doubt he goes to braavos with arya - it wouldn't really fit her story there which is one of personal development while fighting to maintain her identity. as i've said before, the show tends to make major detours but arrives at the same destination. melisandra will use gendry for her black magic but he will be rescued by davos, set free and make his way to the inn. or perhaps be more on the move but still taking care of orphans.

Well as one of the "Gendry wankers" (whatever that means) in this thread, I'm curious why anyone wouldn't want Gendry to know his true identity and why they don't like the change to his story in the show. I'm not disagreeing with it, everyone's got reasons they love or hate the addition of additional content that wasn't in the books.

I hope they don't take him away from his original story line for too long- I feel like it's important that he run his little BWB "franchise" if you will, at the inn going forward. Unless GRRM's plan was just to leave him there for the rest of the books. In which case, I'm enjoying the actor, so I hope he gets an adventure!

Considering the BwB splits up and turns into a full-fledged Frey hanging party I don't think it's a big deal. Gendry can't even reveal to Stoneheart that Arya is alive, because the last he saw of her she had run off and was never seen again which is basically what Cat/Stoneheart believes of her. I don't really see Gendry doing anything pivotal in his book role and if so they'll find some awkward way to bring him back.

I really liked the Gendry scene, too. He's such a good guy, and it's about time something happened to make him think he's 'somebody'. 'Cause he really is, even if he wasn't Robert's bastard son.

I know the HBO series is not the book, but I still hate it when they deviate too much. Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Gendry.

I didn't mind the scene and it was well shot.

I can see D&D coming up with some new storyline involving the travels of Gendry & Davos when Stannis, Melisandre & Co relocate to the Wall. Some of the characters who go missing in some of the books will need it, if the actors are going to be retained for future seasons. By the time Davos gets to White Harbour, Gendry could have easily rejoined the BwB.

I think either a gendry/davos pairing or Gendry/Stannis pairing could happen too. In fact I think fans should get used to the idea that the writers are going to try to find a way to start pairing up characters who spend a lot of time alone in AFFC/ADWD. The show doesn't work if people are alone.

I like it all too. I always wanted him to find out in the books and I'm glad it's happened on the show. For all the people throwing out the word "character assassination" after every little change that occurs, I truly believe it would be character assassination if he were to return to the BwB at this point. Why would he go back to them after they sold him for two bags of gold? It doesn't make sense.

Another thing, why would the writers combine him with Edric Storm only to have him shipped off to the Free Cities never to be seen again? If he does get shipped off by Davos, it would only make sense if he teams up with Arya again, and if that were the case then it would really spoil Arya's development as a character. She has major problems with abandonment at that point and it's one of the things that drives her to be a Faceless Man. So that leaves going to the Wall with Stannis. I think it's a fantastic idea that would keep him involved in the storyline for quite some time.

I like it all too. I always wanted him to find out in the books and I'm glad it's happened on the show. For all the people throwing out the word "character assassination" after every little change that occurs, I truly believe it would be character assassination if he were to return to the BwB at this point. Why would he go back to them after they sold him for two bags of gold? It doesn't make sense.

Another thing, why would the writers combine him with Edric Storm only to have him shipped off to the Free Cities never to be seen again? If he does get shipped off by Davos, it would only make sense if he teams up with Arya again, and if that were the case then it would really spoil Arya's development as a character. She has major problems with abandonment at that point and it's one of the things that drives her to be a Faceless Man. So that leaves going to the Wall with Stannis. I think it's a fantastic idea that would keep him involved in the storyline for quite some time.

It's possible, but if Stannis wants to burn Gendry I don't see any way Davos can save him except getting him out of Dragonstone.

Well Gendry could be in Braavos for a long time and not meet Arya, he could have his own adventures.

It's always been my contention that Arya keeping Needle has disqualified her from become a Faceless Woman.

Besides that I think the FM know it, because they are part of a much bigger game, which may be the Illyrio-Varys conspiracy, which itself maybe part of a much bigger game.

By the by after Melisandre tells Gendry he is Robert's illegitimate son, seems she said something like "that were your 'strength' comes from" something like that, as if Gendry had demonstrated himself as a warrior or something like that? Well he's proved himself brave , and probably does have Robert's abilities, but has not shown them on the field yet. So kind of strange.

I really enjoyed Gendry's parentage reveal. It was well acted, and it felt significant. So significant, that I've actually got myself wondering whether they're going to make yet more of Gendry's character. Yes we have him replacing Edric Storm, which for the record I like, but what then? Does he simply go back to the riverlands and play the role in Brienne's quest that he does in the books, or do the writers have something else in mind for him? It just feels to me like they're making him into much more of a character than he was in the books. Thoughts?

It was, I love that scene.

these are all fun and i wish gendry could have these sorts of options for his future but i doubt most of them. first of all, while producing gendry and mya and any other of robert's children would strengthen his claim that cersei's children are not robert's, they would be in direct competition for the throne. he'll never do that.

Bastards aren't in direct competition against Stannis. They have more claim than the bastard that is sitting on the Iron Throne, true but he has his family to back up his claim. A bastard against Stannis they have nothing.

gendry's knowledge, while helpful, is hardly keeping people awake at night. and mya doesn't know exactly who her dad is. so most of these are unrealistic. that said, i predict that gendry will be the one that keeps the baratheon line alive. edric, too. they weren't spared for nothing.

Neither of them is named Baratheon. Who's going to legitimize them? Stannis? Dany? I don't know what will happen with Gendry after this season, but if Davos is forced to smuggle him out like he did Edric Storm, it would probably be the first character to get a happy ending from Game of Thrones.

i doubt he goes to braavos with arya - it wouldn't really fit her story there which is one of personal development while fighting to maintain her identity. as i've said before, the show tends to make major detours but arrives at the same destination. melisandra will use gendry for her black magic but he will be rescued by davos, set free and make his way to the inn. or perhaps be more on the move but still taking care of orphans.

There's no way he goes to Braavos with Arya, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he ends up there. I think it would really mess with Arya's whole "losing everything she loves and her whole family(except Jon)" because we obviously heard her say "I can be your family" to Gendry, so she cares about him on some level(let's not get into it right now)...

Honestly him going back to the inn makes no sense either. The BwBs frequently goes there. They sold him for gold, he hates them, period. If he has a choice of where to go he's not going back there.

Well as one of the "Gendry wankers" (whatever that means) in this thread, I'm curious why anyone wouldn't want Gendry to know his true identity and why they don't like the change to his story in the show. I'm not disagreeing with it, everyone's got reasons they love or hate the addition of additional content that wasn't in the books.

They probably can't accept the fact that Gendry stepping in for Edric would make no sense without knowing he's Robert's bastard son.

Considering the BwB splits up and turns into a full-fledged Frey hanging party I don't think it's a big deal. Gendry can't even reveal to Stoneheart that Arya is alive, because the last he saw of her she had run off and was never seen again which is basically what Cat/Stoneheart believes of her. I don't really see Gendry doing anything pivotal in his book role and if so they'll find some awkward way to bring him back.

That makes it the same as the books. There's no evidence that Gendry goes to the Twins with the BwBs that finds Catelyn. There's no evidence he's with them when they're trying to track where the Hound went after the RW with Arya. That means he's not the one that tells Catelyn about Arya in the books and he obviously won't do it in the show either.

I didn't mind the scene and it was well shot.

I can see D&D coming up with some new storyline involving the travels of Gendry & Davos when Stannis, Melisandre & Co relocate to the Wall. Some of the characters who go missing in some of the books will need it, if the actors are going to be retained for future seasons. By the time Davos gets to White Harbour, Gendry could have easily rejoined the BwB.

Again where is Gendry's motivation to go back to the BwBs? They didn't knight him, he only traveled with them a short while and they sold him for a couple bags of gold.

It's possible, but if Stannis wants to burn Gendry I don't see any way Davos can save him except getting him out of Dragonstone.

Let's keep one thing straight. Stannis doesn't want to burn Gendry, Melisandre does and at least in Edric Storm's case it's something Stannis has to wrestle with the decision. He doesn't agree to it till after "three of three" which we know won't happen this season.

I think it would be a great thing for Stannis to put his foot down and finally say. "No" to the stupid red witch and her magic tricks.

By the by after Melisandre tells Gendry he is Robert's illegitimate son, seems she said something like "that were your 'strength' comes from" something like that, as if Gendry had demonstrated himself as a warrior or something like that? Well he's proved himself brave , and probably does have Robert's abilities, but has not shown them on the field yet. So kind of strange.

"It kinda goes along with Ned saying if that boy ever decides to pick up a sword instead of a hammer, send him my way"

Robert had incredible strength that came naturally, most of his children seem to have it as well.

They'll probably use this as another way of making Stannis look like a total douchebag imo.

I'm actually hoping they use it to redeem him more than the books, if he puts his foot down and says "no" to Melisandre that he's not going to sacrifice Gendry then it makes him look the opposite of a douchebag.

Neither of them is named Baratheon. Who's going to legitimize them? Stannis? Dany? I don't know what will happen with Gendry after this season, but if Davos is forced to smuggle him out like he did Edric Storm, it would probably be the first character to get a happy ending from Game of Thrones.

Who would legitimize Gendry? In the Wiki great emphasis is put on the biological father.

Then we have Stanis willing to do it for Jon, I have great doubts that Stanis is Jon's father.

In this universe , as far as I remember is complicated, I think the father thing is true, but it can also be someone vested with power like the Pope or a King , I think there are other cases to.

Maybe Dany could! She is actually the direct heir to the Iron Throne, tho why weren't there any Targ Queens?

Well first time for everything.

So what happens if Tommen grows up rational and Jamie tells him he is not a Baratheon?

Tommen might be sick of the whole deal by that time and just abdicate!

Then Gendry , if he's a Baratheon by then would be the rightful heir, except that really Dany trumps him for that.

Maybe Dany and Gendry could just form a parliamentary democracy and do away with feudalism and become ceremonial monarchs!

Wouldn't put it past George.

Wrench in the works, Winter and the Others, Westeros might not be worth a bucket of warm spit when they are through with it.

Let's keep one thing straight. Stannis doesn't want to burn Gendry, Melisandre does and at least in Edric Storm's case it's something Stannis has to wrestle with the decision. He doesn't agree to it till after "three of three" which we know won't happen this season.

I think it would be a great thing for Stannis to put his foot down and finally say. "No" to the stupid red witch and her magic tricks.

I agree. But Stannis in the show is much farther up Mel's ass than the one in the books.

This would be a nice turning point for Stannis' character though. It happens roughly at the same time in the novels as well. Stannis is due for his speech about duty and to have him start to drift out of her influence and back into the atheistic Stannis from the books (who is a personal favorite character).

Who would legitimize Gendry? In the Wiki great emphasis is put on the biological father.

Then we have Stanis willing to do it for Jon, I have great doubts that Stanis is Jon's father.

Are we sure Stannis isn't Jon's father? That would be a twist :laugh:

Whatever happens to Gendry I'm just happy that he's relevant again. I couldn't understand in the books why he was marginalized after such a promising start.

I'm aware GRRM inexplicably decided that everybody in Westeros and Essos would have some claim to the throne, but rather than creating more characters and clouding the picture even more he should've focused on the ones that had our attention.

Whatever happens to Gendry I'm just happy that he's relevant again. I couldn't understand in the books why he was marginalized after such a promising start.

I'm aware GRRM inexplicably decided that everybody in Westeros and Essos would have some claim to the throne, but rather than creating more characters and clouding the picture even more he should've focused on the ones that had our attention.

If he wants to end the story in two more books, he needs to start writing out characters, otherwise he'd never be able to finish. Gendry had a better ending than most of GRRM's other characters

Maybe Dany could! She is actually the direct heir to the Iron Throne, tho why weren't there any Targ Queens?

This probably isn't really the thread for this discussion - but perhaps someone could point me in the right direction in regards to "rightful claims"

Stormborn has no "rightful claim" anymore than the Hoare's (I'd imagine the lineage could somehow be traced back to the Iron Islands somehow) .. In my eyes the only people who have any real claim to the lands of Westeros are the Children of the Forest.

Archived