Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Spoilers within)

Rhom

Saw this pop up on my Facebook feed today and it featured the first look at Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The interesting thing is that they come right out and use the #coulsonlives :stunned: I suppose its not a spoiler if the company making the show has it out there with its own hashtag.

I know we've talked about it some in the Avengers thread, but I felt this would deserve its own thread.

I think everyone knew Coulson was alive, or at least did not die after Loki's attack? It even gets brought up in the film.

I'm pretty excited for this, as Whedon's pretty good with a lot of his stuff and there's no dead end like Doll House sort of had.

The only issue might be the lower-level TV effects, but I wouldn't mind them doing some "spy vs spy" stuff with SHIELD going up against Hydra, working with SWORD, etc.

Do we know how big or small the budget for this will be roughly? I mean given how successful the MCU has been they could easily throw millions at it and still turn out a profit, but I worry they'll stint on the budget too much.

I think everyone knew Coulson was alive, or at least did not die after Loki's attack? It even gets brought up in the film.

I'm pretty excited for this, as Whedon's pretty good with a lot of his stuff and there's no dead end like Doll House sort of had.

The only issue might be the lower-level TV effects, but I wouldn't mind them doing some "spy vs spy" stuff with SHIELD going up against Hydra, working with SWORD, etc.

Well, it was certainly the prevailing theory amongst fans; but its not like he had been shown in the credits or had some other big reveal. :dunno: But as you say, I just always assumed he was alive as well.

I agree that the TV budget could be a bit of a downer, but some shows with much smaller pedigrees than this have gotten decent budgets in the past. If they can milk a bit of advertising money and start to put a smart product on screen, there may be some hope for it yet. I wonder what kinds of tie-ins they can realistically put forth with the current round of Marvel movies. Also, I am hopeful that they can get Cobie Smulders away from HIMYM long enough to get at least a cameo or two in.

HIMYM is ending next year isn't it? Or the year after? So Maria Hill could probably come into the forefront a lot more in S2 if the show gets that far and just cameo every now and then in S1.

High hopes for this show. The little teaser film on Avengers was great (shame they aren't reusing any of the actors). They'll just have to be careful of which characters they use. Would be a shame to do a low budget version of someone who could wind up on the big screen.

High hopes for this show. The little teaser film on Avengers was great (shame they aren't reusing any of the actors). They'll just have to be careful of which characters they use. Would be a shame to do a low budget version of someone who could wind up on the big screen.

Yes. The juggling act will be interesting to say the least.

I also wonder just how they'll handle all the intellectual property. I know that I saw that Daredevil reverted back to Marvel a week or two ago, but with all the X-Men and the word "mutant" apparently locked up for eternity not to mention Spidey and his rogue's gallery; it really leaves this show using a lot of the characters that the mainstream public is not as familiar with. Which could be a really good thing...

I imagine Taskmaster will make an appearance at some point in the show, though likely with a different costume. Hope they keep the skull mask.

There's a bunch of rogues who aren't likely to see the big screen for at least 3-5 years, if ever. Ultron, Gravitron, Whirlwind, Tiger Shark, that guy with the skinned face who fights Moon Knight....

And as long as they aren't killed, no one is going to care if the actors are switched if/when they make their movie debut. My guess is the only fatalities among the bad guys will be newly created villains.

If it is based in New York there should be some Daredevil villains popping up.

I also think they could alter the Punisher into a killer of super-villains as that would make him an interesting anti-hero within the show. Some of the "heroes for hire" characters could sneak into the show or "cloak and dagger". It would be nice if they could get the "alias" character in there too.

Ultron is too good for the show he's a definite large scale villlain but the others mentioned should be fine.

Fingers crossed Whedon is able to get some of the Dollhouse/Buffy/Firefly alumni into the show in terms of actors, He has a good track record for that sort of thing. The show has a TON of potential

If it is based in New York there should be some Daredevil villains popping up.

I also think they could alter the Punisher into a killer of super-villains as that would make him an interesting anti-hero within the show. Some of the "heroes for hire" characters could sneak into the show or "cloak and dagger". It would be nice if they could get the "alias" character in there too.

Ultron is too good for the show he's a definite large scale villlain but the others mentioned should be fine.

Fingers crossed Whedon is able to get some of the Dollhouse/Buffy/Firefly alumni into the show in terms of actors, He has a good track record for that sort of thing. The show has a TON of potential

Why change the Punisher? I'd rather see a Scourge of the Underworld...in fact, the whole lot of that would be good, getting into Captain America's Rogue Gallery, the Serpent Society, Crossbones, et al.

And Ultron would be a good set up for a future movie by doing somebsckground with the TV show...just a thought...

In addition to the Punisher, they could put in The Hood and possibly Dr. Strange.

Just make it more low key in the show, and for gods' sake fix Dormammu's appearance. Dude looks ridiculous.

As long as they embrace the idea that superheroes, gods and living machines walk amongst the people. Heroes struggled with the underground aspect of the powered beings, Arrow and Smallville keep a lot of it in the shadows...embrace the comic book life!

(And then there can be a Damage Control spin off!)

Why change the Punisher? I'd rather see a Scourge of the Underworld...in fact, the whole lot of that would be good, getting into Captain America's Rogue Gallery, the Serpent Society, Crossbones, et al.

And Ultron would be a good set up for a future movie by doing somebsckground with the TV show...just a thought...

It was a thought in terms of the show. It wouldn't really fit under the SHIELD remit to hunt down a guy who kills criminals. I'd like to see the Punisher no-holds barred in a TV show roughly adapting Ennis' max run. Marvel seem a bit reluctant to use him in that form due to his previous films being bad.

Setting Ultron up in the background would be fine. He could be an AI with no body in the show and in the Avengers could be a full on villain (possibly by stealing Iron Man's armour)

It does look as if they'll embrace the superhero aspect as the trailer has a guy jumping out of a window. I think it wouldn't make sense to have it all in the shadows as the Avengers are known and they didn't cover up the alien invasion of New York. Then again the website is playing up the conspiracy side of things...

So what was the deal with the supposed Coulson fake out? Fury faked the bloody trading card, or something? I have to say I bought that he was dead so it feels kind of lame, LMD dealio or no. However, the character is cool so I guess it's ok.

Fury faked the bloody trading card, or something?

Well we already knew that from the film. Obviously the assumption was that he'd simply bloodied them of Coulson's body, but I don't know many people who really believed he was gonna stay dead. Especially since he got upgraded into the actual Marvel Universe.

Well we already knew that from the film. Obviously the assumption was that he'd simply bloodied them of Coulson's body, but I don't know many people who really believed he was gonna stay dead. Especially since he got upgraded into the actual Marvel Universe.

We knew he used the card as a symbol of his death, despite the cards not being there at the time. But that definitely didn't say to me he wasn't dead. It just said Fury's a callous bastard.

But lmd's presumably don't bleed. And if the series one is an lmd, that's lame. The best scenario is that he recovered from the attack and even that is still pretty lame. :P

But lmd's presumably don't bleed. And if the series one is an lmd, that's lame. The best scenario is that he recovered from the attack and even that is still pretty lame. :P

Apparently this guy agrees with you. Though he also talks about the emotional impact of Avengers, so he might be in a parallel universe where a different movie was shown. ;-P

Me, I knew Coulson was alive the moment Hill told Fury those cards were in the locker. I'm kind of amazed anyone thought he was dead to be honest.

Archived