Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Spoilers within)

Rhom

Let's not forget the Inara gang-rape nonsense Joss apparently wanted in Firefly Season 2.

And to be honest Avengers was pretty mediocre as a film, so I'm willing to see if the other showrunners can make AoS work.

I see no problem with that. Joss would have handled a rape scene just fine; I don't see him exploiting his characters just for the hell of it. From his interviews, he loved that show and its cast, so if he decided to make the creative move to traumatize Inara, I'm fine with it.

Turning it abruptly into a film series was just Joss making the best out of a bad situation, but it was obvious the show had a ton of depth that was never explored. The comic books are pretty good, however.

This assessment only works if the company isn't serious about using the show as a possible platform for future movie endeavors/characters.

How quickly the show comes out of the gate and how well it does is vital. Securing good writing that makes sense and is strong well be very important. I'd like to think the movie stars would come and play on the television show in character for an episode or three, here or there, but the show has got to click and stay strong and give someone like RDJ a reason to come play on television for a brief moment.

I'm hoping that's the case. It would suck if it just becomes The Avengers: SVU. If it develops and becomes an integral part of the universe, then the show would have the solid symbiosis with the films. But I have a nagging feeling this could be shoved to the side, left to die on its own.

Agents of SHIELD will debut in the UK on Channel 4 and 4HD on Friday 27 September at 8pm.

But damn it, Fox still fucked things up as he was really best suited to do five seasons of Firefly.

This wouldn't have happened, though. Whedon would have stuck around for another season or two and then gone off to do something else with the occasional episode here and there. It's the mode he was in at the time. In fact, he was splitting his attention three-ways at the time, with Tim Minear actually doing a lot of the donkey working on making Firefly.

Agents of SHIELD will debut in the UK on Channel 4 and 4HD on Friday 27 September at 8pm.

This wouldn't have happened, though. Whedon would have stuck around for another season or two and then gone off to do something else with the occasional episode here and there. It's the mode he was in at the time. In fact, he was splitting his attention three-ways at the time, with Tim Minear actually doing a lot of the donkey working on making Firefly.

A lot of people forget how important Tim Minear was for that show. He was a big part of Angel too.

Not sure what other things he would have done though. He was pretty much in the wilderness with his web and comic work (usually the refuge of screenwriteers and directors "between jobs"). In Joss' case the marvel work was very good networking in the end.

I cannot wait to see what Joss gives us after his time with Marvel is up. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Avengers (and I'm sure I'm going to love Shield), but I can't wait to see more of his completely original ideas.

I mean yes I'm clamoring for more Dr. Horrible, Firefly in some shape or form, Avengers 2, etc. But any new IP he puts out there is what I'm waiting on.

Oh this is the Shield thread.

*cough* Looks good.

IIRC from the episode description, Inara's rape was in excessively poor taste. I'll try and dig it up and put it in the Firefly thread so as not to derail this one.

Ep 2 Summary Solicit:

AGENT COULSON AND THE S.H.I.E.L.D. TEAM ARE HOT ON THE TRAIL OF AN ITEM OF UNKNOWN POWER WHEN COULSON COLLIDES WITH A MYSTERIOUS WOMAN FROM HIS PAST, ON ABC’S “MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.”

“0-8-4” – Coulson and his S.H.I.E.L.D. agents travel to Peru to investigate an object of unknown origin, codenamed 0-8-4. But when he runs into Comandante Camilla Reyes, more than just sparks fly at 30,000 feet, on “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

eta:

Set photos from shooting for an episode.

IIRC from the episode description, Inara's rape was in excessively poor taste. I'll try and dig it up and put it in the Firefly thread so as not to derail this one.

Ep 2 Summary Solicit:

AGENT COULSON AND THE S.H.I.E.L.D. TEAM ARE HOT ON THE TRAIL OF AN ITEM OF UNKNOWN POWER WHEN COULSON COLLIDES WITH A MYSTERIOUS WOMAN FROM HIS PAST, ON ABC’S “MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.”

“0-8-4” – Coulson and his S.H.I.E.L.D. agents travel to Peru to investigate an object of unknown origin, codenamed 0-8-4. But when he runs into Comandante Camilla Reyes, more than just sparks fly at 30,000 feet, on “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

eta:

Set photos from shooting for an episode.

I wonder how they'll handle introducing Coulson. They have obviously been pretty open about the fact he survived Avengers. So will they just go on with it like nothing happened? (Doubt it.) Will they somehow have him show up as a surprise to other people? (Seems off since we already know he lives.) Will they do a mix of the two where its no big deal and then someone says "I thought you died" later in the show?

Also as an aside... I've not seen any descriptions of a proposed Season 2 of Firefly, so if you do find it; please do bump the old Firefly thread. I'd like to see it.

I wonder how they'll handle introducing Coulson. They have obviously been pretty open about the fact he survived Avengers. So will they just go on with it like nothing happened? (Doubt it.) Will they somehow have him show up as a surprise to other people? (Seems off since we already know he lives.) Will they do a mix of the two where its no big deal and then someone says "I thought you died" later in the show?

This was partly addressed in one of the trailers:

One of the lead guys is in interrogation room and says he has clearance

level 6 and knows Coulson died in battle of New York. Then Coulson

walks into room and says welcome to Level 7.

This was partly addressed in one of the trailers:

One of the lead guys is in interrogation room and says he has clearance

level 6 and knows Coulson died in battle of New York. Then Coulson

walks into room and says welcome to Level 7.

Ahhhh... that's right. I do remember that now.

Another Featurette, with the cast talking about their characters

Really curious to see how this first episode turns out. Can it compete with Sleepy Hollow?

If they are in the same time-slot I think it will be safe in terms of initial viewers. If we assume people's interest is based off of films at least.

Hope it hits the ground running unlike Dollhouse did (which was great once it got going)

Don't really think it needs its own thread:

http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=hm_nw_tp_t4

Agent Carter (from Cap) may be getting her own series as well.

The one-off short they did with her was really good. I'm in favor of Haley Atwell getting her own series (as Carter or anyone else for that matter ;) ).

The one-off short they did with her was really good. I'm in favor of Haley Atwell getting her own series (as Carter or anyone else for that matter ;) ).

Was unaware of the straight to DVD thing. Will have to check it out if you say it was good.

Was unaware of the straight to DVD thing. Will have to check it out if you say it was good.

It's on the Ironman 3 bluray, but it was available online a few weeks ago. Here's a

It's no longer posted where I saw it. I did find the complete short film on youtube but the aspect ratio is off. I'd wait to see it on the IM3 disc.

Showrunners Whedon & Tancharoen Look to Defy "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

CBR News spoke with [Jed] Whedon and Tancharoen to discuss their approach to the first "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." season, how they plan to use preexisting bits of Marvel mythology, the scale of the show and the mystery behind how Coulson -- last seen looking pretty dead at the hands of Loki in "The Avengers" -- appears to be alive and well in the TV series.

Archived