The absolute worst theory you have heard?

Spilly

If there's a Great Other there has to be a Great One for it to be other than. Logic would seem to indicate this.

even if this were the logical assumption to draw, further application of logic indicates that this "Great One" is not LF.

I clearly have not been exploring the forum's enough. How people can come up with some of these...

Anywho, I really dislike the "_________ character will be the solution to EVERYTHING!" (including but not limited to Jon, Dany and Stannis).

Ashara Dayne (or any Dayne really) is alive and living as __________

__________ is a secret Targaryen (especially Lannisters)

Basically whenever there is a theory that someone who is dead is alive.

Honorable mention goes to Renly is Robert's son. Is this some weird justification for Renly declaring himself king ahead of Stannis?

Catelyn is the worst mother in Westeros.

Not necessarily theory, but following this line of thinking, Tyrion and Daenerys are the most moral characters in the series.

Sansa will eventually realize what she's missing and will fall in love with Tyrion and they will end up the perfect couple.

Septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne.

GRRM retired the Hound to the Quiet Isle to appease fans who couldn't bear his death because that's just the kind of writer he is.

even if this were the logical assumption to draw, further application of logic indicates that this "Great One" is not LF.

Moving political power into the hands of the Merchant Class, whose natural hard-work and industriousness will help Westeros in the future- Check

Keeping the realm afloat financially, while simultaneously also having the intelligence to predict that Cersei would renege on paying the Iron Bank. This led the Iron Bank north, to the Night's Watch. The Iron Bank is now funding the first line of defence against the Others. The instigator of this- The Great One. Check.

Bringing over the Kettleblacks to Westeros, knowing that the induction of one of them to the KG would highlight just how low the KG has sunk, meaning that its eventual reform will be incredibly thorough and restore prestige in the near future? Check.

Instigated the death of Joffrey, which in turn led to a series of events that re-united Arianne, Doran and the Sand Snakes together for the better of Dorne? Check.

Keeping the Vale's soldiers in check in order to use them later in order to protect the realm? Check.

Brokering an alliance which led Mace Tyrell to KL, leaving his far more accomplished son to cope with the Ironborn invasion. The result? A more likely chance the Reach will be able to help fight the Others because of having a competent lord to drive off Euron? Check.

Holding the North's darling in reserve, in order to assist (not use, he would never use her) her in helping to unite the North and the Vale alongside Rickon? Check.

Kept his plans quiet (whilst knowing that people would misinterpret his motives) so that those more selfish will not be able to undermine his plan to defend the realm? Check.

Planted words in Stannis' ears. Stannis left KL soon after. This was vital, as the Great One knew that when he enlisted the help of the Reach to drive back Stannis at the Blackwater, Stannis would be essentially forced North to defeat the threat. Check.

The Great One has clearly pulled the wool over your eyes.

Jamie, Cersei, and/or Tyrion being Aerys' kids - would ruin everything that makes their characters and family dynamic interesting.

Ashara Dayne still being alive for some reason - I will never understand why so many people on this forum are so obsessed with such a minor character that doesn't actually appear in the books.

ETA: Sansa will get married and live happily ever after with Aegon/Jon/Sandor/whoever. What books have YOU been reading?

"Theon is a warg and should have gotten a direwolf too that way he wouldnt betray robb"

No no... Theon should have gotten a squid...

Jamie, Cersei, and/or Tyrion being Aerys' kids - would ruin everything that makes their characters and family dynamic interesting.

Ashara Dayne still being alive for some reason - I will never understand why so many people on this forum are so obsessed with such a minor character that doesn't actually appear in the books.

1. She's a Dayne, Dayne-worship is third only to Stannis-worship and Dany-worship on this forum.

2. She apparently fell in love with Ned, and may have had a relationship with him.

3. She is a potential parent for Jon Snow

4. If she is found and says that Jon isn't her child, then it'd give R + L = J even more credibility.

No no... Theon should have gotten a squid...

Great, now I want calamari...

1. She's a Dayne, Dayne-worship is third only to Stannis-worship and Dany-worship on this forum.

This gets to me as well. What's up with the Daynes? I mean, they're interesting and all, but you might as well worship the Casterlys. They get about as much on-screen time.

Moving political power into the hands of the Merchant Class, whose natural hard-work and industriousness will help Westeros in the future- Check

Keeping the realm afloat financially, while simultaneously also having the intelligence to predict that Cersei would renege on paying the Iron Bank. This led the Iron Bank north, to the Night's Watch. The Iron Bank is now funding the first line of defence against the Others. The instigator of this- The Great One. Check.

Bringing over the Kettleblacks to Westeros, knowing that the induction of one of them to the KG would highlight just how low the KG has sunk, meaning that its eventual reform will be incredibly thorough and restore prestige in the near future? Check.

Instigated the death of Joffrey, which in turn led to a series of events that re-united Arianne, Doran and the Sand Snakes together for the better of Dorne? Check.

Keeping the Vale's soldiers in check in order to use them later in order to protect the realm? Check.

Brokering an alliance which led Mace Tyrell to KL, leaving his far more accomplished son to cope with the Ironborn invasion. The result? A more likely chance the Reach will be able to help fight the Others because of having a competent lord to drive off Euron? Check.

Holding the North's darling in reserve, in order to assist (not use, he would never use her) her in helping to unite the North and the Vale alongside Rickon? Check.

Kept his plans quiet (whilst knowing that people would misinterpret his motives) so that those more selfish will not be able to undermine his plan to defend the realm? Check.

Planted words in Stannis' ears. Stannis left KL soon after. This was vital, as the Great One knew that when he enlisted the help of the Reach to drive back Stannis at the Blackwater, Stannis would be essentially forced North to defeat the threat. Check.

The Great One has clearly pulled the wool over your eyes.

ok, so, this is a list of things that LF instigated completely dissociated from his original intent, which was to cause harm and chaos. It's sort of like praising a horrific national disaster for bringing national unity or something.

I guess the most ridiculous part about the assertion of LF = "the Great One" is that the assertions you're using to praise him put him entirely within the role occupied by "the Great Other" as it pertains to catalyzing unity through massive destruction. So they're basically the same thing, or rather, catalyzing the same sort of response you deem positive from the people, no? According to the logic posited upthread that "Great One" is the complement of "Great Other," then LF's actions align him squarely with the "Great Other," leading us to safely conclude that he's the leader of the White Walkers, to be defeated by the true "Great One" (most likely, Sansa. Or Arthur Dayne. not sure which).

Renly is Roberts bastard

Secret Targs

R+L=Sam

Jojen Paste :ack:

Anything involving the Daynes, especially Darkstar

Bran warging a dragon (though it's not impossible)

Rhaegar/Ned/Ashara is alive and possibly warging someone

Oberyn poisoned Tywin

ETA: Whatever the hell is going on in this thread http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/87540-j-%26-8596%3B-a/

Great, now I want calamari...

This gets to me as well. What's up with the Daynes? I mean, they're interesting and all, but you might as well worship the Casterlys. They get about as much on-screen time.

Duh. Cool Sword that's Cooler than all the other Cool Swords because it's better than the other Cool Swords because it's a Cool Sword from SPACE.

...That's what I've got about Dayne-worship anyways.

ok, so, this is a list of things that LF instigated completely dissociated from his original intent, which was to cause harm and chaos. It's sort of like praising a horrific national disaster for bringing national unity or something.

How can you know his intent? His role is that of the deepest secrecy.

I guess the most ridiculous part about the assertion of LF = "the Great One" is that the assertions you're using to praise him put him entirely within the role occupied by "the Great Other" as it pertains to catalyzing unity through massive destruction. So they're basically the same thing, or rather, catalyzing the same sort of response you deem positive from the people, no?

If you take the Great Other's role as seeking unity through destruction, then yes. I don't though. Of course, two opposites can also have similar techniques in achieving their goals.

According to the logic posited upthread that "Great One" is the complement of "Great Other," then LF's actions align him squarely with the "Great Other," leading us to safely conclude that he's the leader of the White Walkers, to be defeated by the true "Great One" (most likely, Sansa. Or Arthur Dayne. not sure which).

You spelled Ned wrong.

Archived