Doctor Who: Regenerated discussion

Jon AS

Black lesbian in a wheelchair!

ok, moving on, or rather moving back to wild speculation ...

I'm worried about the Silence in the series finale. I've been waiting three fecking years to find out what they're all about and I wonder if there's going to be enough time to go into it now. We know there is a Clara reveal, a Doctor reveal and River turning up all to deal with. Plus we also know the bad guy's going to be the Great Intelligence.

I suspect that the Whispermen are going to turn into the Silence when the Doctor's name gets spoken. They do look very similar. But I'd like a bit more details about how they got set up, discovered time travel and all that.

They definitely have a hell of a lot to cram into 45 minutes.

And I'd really like to see a black or female doctor. Assuming that the best actor who auditioned is the one who got the part I think it could be good for the show. And any sentence that runs something to the effect of: "I'm not racist, but" automatically has problems.

I'm worried about the Silence in the series finale. I've been waiting three fecking years to find out what they're all about and I wonder if there's going to be enough time to go into it now. We know there is a Clara reveal, a Doctor reveal and River turning up all to deal with. Plus we also know the bad guy's going to be the Great Intelligence.

I think a significant problem with the series this season is that the focus on big, one episode ideas has led to a lot of truncated storytelling. Many of these episodes could have used more time (just most recently Neil Gaiman mentioned that quite a bit got cut from his script) to fully develop their ideas, and I'm afraid the finale will suffer from the same problem.

Yeah, I wasn't too bothered by it in the first block. I think both the Power of Three story and the Angels one that got rid of Amy and Rory benefitted from being just one episode, instead of the two that they might have been any other year. But in this second block, there has seemed to be a bit much crammed in to some episodes.

Incidentally, I only just realised this series that Moffat has been building up to the fiftieth ever since he took over and that's why he's left all these threads hanging with the two previous series. On the one hand it's sort of impressive. But on the other it's just annoying. :P

And I'd really like to see a black or female doctor. Assuming that the best actor who auditioned is the one who got the part I think it could be good for the show. And any sentence that runs something to the effect of: "I'm not racist, but" automatically has problems.

I'm fine with any race - including more alien appearances but I always found it odd to think the timelords could change gender. I guess there's no reason why not but other than a comic-relief special is it even Who-lore that gender switching can occur? I'm sure Wert or someone can answer that. I don't even know how Timelords procreate but if it is similar to ours then there'd be a massive benefit from being able to regenerate into different genders - especially if your race is ever almost wiped out. The problem is that if it's a random event why hasn't the Doctor been female assuming 50/50 odds? If it's an active choice then why has the Doctor never tried it before and does it reflect badly that he hasn't?

I also fear what the writers would do with a female Doctor - it could be a very spectacular and insulting mess if the writers made the Doctor different on what they perceived as feminine traits. Now, if the Doctor was essentially the same but character's reactions to him/her changed that could be really interesting. It would be the one scenario where I'd tolerate a Doctor/companion love interest if the Doctor's gender changed mid-relationship. I just fear more could go wrong with the idea than could go right.

I remember when Tennant left there was speculation about Patterson Joseph getting the role.

I think it would be hard to get used to a female Doctor; on the other hand, it's always hard getting used to a new Doctor (you have no idea how long it took me to accept Tennant after Eccleston - and let me just remind you Ten is now my favorite. I still haven't fully accepted Eleven), so maybe it would be just the same. But I hope if that ever happens they choose a brilliant actress for the role, someone who just fits, and that they don't completely change the character to adapt to a new gender. I mean, the Doctor already acts kind of genderless, or whatever the word is, don't you think? Not to mention a species that could switch genders that easily shouldn't really limit themselves to traits from only one of them. And I agree with red snow that it would be interesting to see how other characters would react to the Doctor in that case. One thing, though: if the Doctor ever regenerates into a different gender, it can't be during Moffat's run! I mean, look at all his female characters, that would be torture.

Btw, do you think this story with the DVDs and the leaked finale is true? Because, okay, one can say they haven't posted spoilers because of the BBC bribe, but I find it hard to believe none of these people who supposedly received it early would have posted at least a picture of them with those DVDs, or leaked the episode itself online.

I suspect that the Whispermen are going to turn into the Silence when the Doctor's name gets spoken. They do look very similar. But I'd like a bit more details about how they got set up, discovered time travel and all that.

:agree:

I'm guessing, but I imagine the viewership of DW is skewed towards males......

If it is, I doubt it's by much, at least in the UK. Perhaps a bit more so now than during the Tennant era, which had the female fans out in force, but it's definitely a 'for everyone' kind of show.

Btw, do you think this story with the DVDs and the leaked finale is true? Because, okay, one can say they haven't posted spoilers because of the BBC bribe, but I find it hard to believe none of these people who supposedly received it early would have posted at least a picture of them with those DVDs, or leaked the episode itself online.

There are pictures of the box. Supposedly there is spoilery screenshots from in the episode too, although I've avoided those. I mean it's only those who pre-ordered the dvd in America from some suppliers. Can't be that many people received it.

:agree:

I realised that if the Silence make Tremzalore their base, they can presumably travel anywhere they want straight away, since it's supposed to be where time and space meet, or something.

I'm fine with any race - including more alien appearances but I always found it odd to think the timelords could change gender. I guess there's no reason why not but other than a comic-relief special is it even Who-lore that gender switching can occur? I'm sure Wert or someone can answer that.

You don't need Wert, even I can answer that.;)

In The Doctor's Wife, the Doctor gives Amy and Rory the background of the Corsair (the Timelord who's message cube he receives at the beginning) and he mentions that the Corsair switched genders from time to time.

I wouldn't have a problem with the next Doctor being a woman. There is a precedent for Timelords of different races in the classic series - don't ask me what story it was, I just know there was a black Timelord in one story.

Some say it would be a stretch to accept a female Doctor, but every time there's a regeneration it's an adjustment. Personally, if we ever do get a female doctor, I think it'll be the final regeneration. We're more likely to see a non-white doctor than a female one.

You don't need Wert, even I can answer that. ;)

In The Doctor's Wife, the Doctor gives Amy and Rory the background of the Corsair (the Timelord who's message cube he receives at the beginning) and he mentions that the Corsair switched genders from time to time.

Cool. So it can happen or Corsair was an anomaly (based on the Master, Doctor and Romana maintaining their gender). With Who it all boils down to how good the execution would be. I don't think any of the current writers could do a female Doctor justice to be honest. I'd much rather they'd bring the bloody timelords back so we could have a female timelord thrown into the mix. I'd settle for ANY timelords. There's a whole generation who've never seen any other timelords except for the Master and Timothy Dalton. I think we've had enough time to focus on the Doctor - what would make him really unique is how he stands out from a whole race of Timelords.

I'm still slightly upset Patterson Joseph didn't get to be the Doctor (although there's still time). I think he'd be great for the role and could bring some more of the menace back when required (although Matt Smith is better at that than Tennant already).

The problem is that if it's a random event why hasn't the Doctor been female assuming 50/50 odds? If it's an active choice then why has the Doctor never tried it before and does it reflect badly that he hasn't?

Well, when it comes to whether a Time Lord has control of regeneration, canon is contradictory. It seems that the Doctor can't choose, but Romana apparently could. I could see it being something that some Time Lords can learn, perhaps, but maybe the Doctor left Gallifrey before he mastered it?

Terry Nation introduced the idea into canon that female Time Lords can regenerate at will into whatever they want to, but male Time Lords can't. I myself think this is ridiculous, but blame Terry Nation. Be interesting if Who came back as Romana II, however, my favourite character in the series' history.

Archived