How I Met Your Mother - 4

Jaxom 1974

SoV,

Well, obviously those kids couldn't have literally been sitting on that couch for 8 years. Second perhaps they know the story of the courtship, marriage, and later death. Ted is known to be really boring and thoughtless at times and this may be his way of dealing with the grief of his wifes passing. Or, perhaps, Ted is leading up to something else remember Marshall refused to pay up on his "long term bet" with Lily over Ted and Robin? Perhaps the mother's passing has opened up other things.

It makes sense, but now out seems too obvious. The could twist it and have the kids watching a video of Ted telling his story...

Only time the kids interacted with the mother was a Stella cut away where she came behind the couch.

Well, obviously those kids couldn't have literally been sitting on that couch for 8 years. Second perhaps they know the story of the courtship, marriage, and later death. Ted is known to be really boring and thoughtless at times and this may be his way of dealing with the grief of his wifes passing. Or, perhaps, Ted is leading up to something else remember Marshall refused to pay up on his "long term bet" with Lily over Ted and Robin? Perhaps the mother's passing has opened up other things.

Hell they both have been in on other shows, that ran for 4 years. They don't even look the same, The must have shot a lot of scenes that first year, or reuse a lot of stuff.

RW,

Could you please elaborate as to why it would make no sense, to you, if the Mother had died in the future? I think it would make a great deal of sense. It would explain to two scenes I touched on above and it would also explain why Ted has placed the Mother on such a pedistal during all his stories.

The reasons have already been mentioned before.

The kids aren't really interested in Ted's story. They would be if it were a story about their dead mother. Plus, you would see them grief or at least having a sad expression on their face while Ted talks about his love towards their perfect mother.

They ask Ted to finally get to the part where he met their mother- they don't do this though to finally get to hear the story but to finally make him end the stories so that they can leave the couch.

In addition, why would Ted waste his time telling them how he met their mother through telling stories that are totally unrelated to her instead of telling stories of all the happy moments he had with their mother if she was dead? These are the stories that would be interesting for them.

Ted telling all the stories in order to deal with his loss is not out of the realm, I agree. But not in regards to their mother but in regards to one of his best friends. In the end, he's telling stories about Lily&Marshall, Barney&Robin. There is not a single story about his wife. It makes sense to me that he starts telling stories under the pretext of how he met his wife; but what he truly does is remembering and talking about the best time he had with his friends without having to articulate yet that one of them isn't alive anymore.

Better ending:

Ted is telling his kids his life story to distract them from the fact the world outside has succumbed to the zombie apocalypse. HIMYM is actually a prequel to the Walking Dead.

Zombie Barney will bust in on he series finale and eat them.

It would absolutely make no sense if the Mother was dead.

Though, I really think it's possible that one of Ted's friends might be dead in the future; my bet is on Marshall (for no particular reason, however).

We've actually seen Marshall & Lily farther out into the future than any of the others - it was in the episode they wrote their death letters.

Guys, this story has always been labelled as a love story told in reverse. The only constants of the show has been Marshall and Lily's enduring love for one another, and the much-lamented (at least here, anyway) Ted and Robin thing. Since it's Ted telling the story to his kids, the aforementioned love story told in reverse probably doesn't involve Marshall and Lily. It's always been about Robin, and the mom doesn't have to be dead for Ted to have to explain how he met their mother. This whole story could easily be how he happened to meet their mother, because of something about Robin, and it is that reason why he's leaving them, because he has to do one last crazy, grand spectacle ( hello, Barney) to win her back. Or it could be an explanation of why Ted and the Mom already broke up.

Guys, this story has always been labelled as a love story told in reverse. The only constants of the show has been Marshall and Lily's enduring love for one another, and the much-lamented (at least here, anyway) Ted and Robin thing. Since it's Ted telling the story to his kids, the aforementioned love story told in reverse probably doesn't involve Marshall and Lily. It's always been about Robin, and the mom doesn't have to be dead for Ted to have to explain how he met their mother. This whole story could easily be how he happened to meet their mother, because of something about Robin, and it is that reason why he's leaving them, because he has to do one last crazy, grand spectacle ( hello, Barney) to win her back. Or it could be an explanation of why Ted and the Mom already broke up.

Nah, that line this past season "If I could do it all over I'd meet you sooner so I could love you that much longer" pretty much says he's not leaving mom.

So talk about a "How I Met Your Father" spin-off has been brought up by the producers, but probably not seriously. It's suppose to be a rewind to 2005 and tell The Mother's story.

But Allyson Hannigan is also pushing a Lily and Marshall spin-off. I don't think Jason Segel's into the idea though; seemed like he's been wanting HIMYM to end for years, to focus on movies.

A Lily and Marshall spin-off would almost certainly irritate the hell out of me. I've liked them through the course of the show, but I think their story is done. There's only so many ways you can cook that shit.

A "How I Met Your Father" sounds intriguing, though. If they can maintain a level of originality and not have it be completely derivative of HIMYM, then it could potentially work. E.g., it would suck if they mirrored the original too much, same archetype group of friends, same circumstances, etc. Also, it would be heavily dependent on the acting chops of the Mother they picked. I'd hope they were considering a spinoff like that before they cast her.

But Allyson Hannigan is also pushing a Lily and Marshall spin-off. I don't think Jason Segel's into the idea though; seemed like he's been wanting HIMYM to end for years, to focus on movies.

I thought that he didn't really want to come back this year. He had a break out a few years ago, but stuck around waiting for this to end, can't see him staying for that.

If played right it would be interesting how they did it...some scenes, such as the St. Patrick's day party...that would be something...

IF they had done that around year 3 or 4, could have been great(but it would limited what, and who both shows direction were going). I just can't see it working, at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

unless you consider how they've apparently decided to work on the kids aging issues from the time of the first season.

That did surprise me at least a little.

I'm interested to see how the season goes. I still enjoy it despite the occasional frustration with plot advancement and such.

Archived