Why did Roose personally stab...?

hajalie24

No, passing a sentence is thing of honor and duty. This was a treason. Bolton did it because usually Highlords are killing Kings, and Boltons and Starks have very problematic history.

He had to make sure that Robb Stark was dead, he wasn't foolish enough to leave the task to the Frey's so he did it himself. Roose Bolton's plot was long in the making and I suspect it began when Halys Hornwood was killed at the Green Fork. He was the one who gave Ramsay the ok to kidnap Lady Hornwood and marry her for her lands. He was in too deep for Robb Stark to survive, if Robb lived Roose dies.

To make himself an active participant in the Red Wedding, not just a bystander. It demonstrated his change of allegiance beyond the shadow of a doubt. AND it got him what he wanted in return: Tywin Lannister declared him as Warden in the North and House Bolton was established as the de facto Lords Paramount of the largest territory in the 7 Kingdoms.

Hmm I always thought marrying Fat Walda was what proved the alliance. And it's stated Roose did most of the planning of the Red Wedding, I don't think anyone needed him to do anything more to prove his new allegiance,

Merrett wasn’t certain that was fortunate at all, and for that matter Lothar himself might be more dangerous than either of them. Lord Walder had ordered the slaughter of the Starks at Roslin’s wedding, but it had been Lame Lothar who had plotted it out with Roose Bolton, all the way down to which songs would be played

Your Walda’s a sow in silk, that’s why he picked her, and I’m not like to thank you for it. We’d have had the same alliance at half the price if your little porkling put down her spoon from time to time.”

It was to prove his commitment to the deal

I think this is it exactly. The Freys were very obviously in this up to their eyeballs — it's their wedding, their castle, mostly their men doing the dirty work. Tywin has no reason to doubt their commitment. Roose, though, could always back out, try to shift blame or otherwise renege. But him personally killing Robb is an ironclad way of proving to Tywin that he's in it for the long haul and willing to inextricably link himself to the assassination.

I do have to wonder what his motivations were for "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." Seems very comic book villain-y, you know? A little too pithy for him. It occurred to me that, until she went nuts, the idea was for Catelyn to be taken prisoner and probably, eventually, at some point, released. Now I wonder if Roose didn't say that for her benefit and for the benefit of any survivors, to tie the Lannisters to the assassination in as ironclad a way as the Freys and Boltons were. Bolton had to know what a huge risk and desecration this would be seen as. That line could be seen as his "insurance," his way to make sure that if the Freys and Boltons ever had to pay for the Red Wedding, the Lannisters would too.

Most of what ive read makes sense, but everyone seems to assume it was planned for roose bolton to kill robb personally. Tywin told tyrion it was supposed to be an arrow. And when bolton entered his cloak was said to have been spotted with blood. Wouldnt slaughtering countless northmen have demonstrated his commitment? I think he was probably thrilled to have had the opportunity to deal the lethal blow, as a bolton, to a stark king.

As to the jaime lannister remark, i felt like that was just grrm twisting the knife he had just shoved in our guts. Maybe it was meant to tie the lannisters to the crime, but i doubt it. Who would have been there to hear it?

Most of what ive read makes sense, but everyone seems to assume it was planned for roose bolton to kill robb personally. Tywin told tyrion it was supposed to be an arrow. And when bolton entered his cloak was said to have been spotted with blood. Wouldnt slaughtering countless northmen have demonstrated his commitment? I think he was probably thrilled to have had the opportunity to deal the lethal blow, as a bolton, to a stark king.

As to the jaime lannister remark, i felt like that was just grrm twisting the knife he had just shoved in our guts. Maybe it was meant to tie the lannisters to the crime, but i doubt it. Who would have been there to hear it?

Yea, this is what I assumed.

He could have just gotten the blood spots from his walk into the hall. There was a lot of killing going on and blood would be everywhere

Here's something I always wondered. Why does Catelyn refer to Roose as "A man in dark armor and a pale pink cloak spotted with blood" instead of by his name? She knows who Roose is and has met him before...

1) Trauma and chaos might have made her a little befuddled, and she just saw him a few moments ago without any armor, so she might not make the connection.

2) He could be wearing a helmet. :dunno:

And when bolton entered his cloak was said to have been spotted with blood. Wouldnt slaughtering countless northmen have demonstrated his commitment?

Not actual bloodspots. Look up the Bolton sigil.

The Greatjon and all of the Freys. We know the RW was Tywin's brainchild, and his children knew nothing about it. But now Roose has implied that Jamie was aware of it as well. So now that he's dead the stain passes to Jamie without him even knowing it.

Archived