Why did Roose personally stab...?

hajalie24

So that everyone present would hear the Jamie Lannister remark, thereby guaranteeing that the North will stay at odds with the Lannisters.

I think this could have something to do with it. If it was just to prove his loyalty, there was no need for the "Jaime sends his regards" bit. I think by saying Jaime specially sends his regards, he guarantees that the Lannisters are seen as complicit and aware of what is happening.

I think it's a combination of showing/proving committment to the Lannisters, as well as animilistic move to establish himself as top dog. He already knows he's going to get the North from the deal he struck with Tywin, but to make sure there is no mutiny in the ranks, he kills the old King himself. It ensures the Freys are not going to get all the credit, but also sends a message that he is strong enough and willing to kill you if you cross him.

Also, It reminds me a bit of Robert killing Rhaegar personally. The guy who kills the old prince becomes the new King. It is very fitting.

No, passing a sentence is thing of honor and duty. This was a treason. Bolton did it because usually Highlords are killing Kings, and Boltons and Starks have very problematic history.

I agree about starks and boltons trouble past, but I think Roose stabed Roob to prove Lord Walder Frey that he was truly commited to Bolton-Frey alliance

I think it was to demonstrate his complete and utter loyalty to his new allies.

It does not specifically say in the novels but it is like the whole roman Senate stabbed Cesar, so they are all in it together and no one could say, "it was not I, it was you". tywin probably wanted Roose to do that to prove himself.

It does not specifically say in the novels but it is like the whole roman Senate stabbed Cesar, so they are all in it together and no one could say, "it was not I, it was you". tywin probably wanted Roose to do that to prove himself.

I was under the impression that Tywin did not wanting anybody knowing the role his House played in this. Bolton talked directly to Jaimie before he released him back to his Father. The Freys were there but they said nothing to Jaimie as far as we know. Then when Roose administers the coup de grace to Robb he says his famous line. So the Freys can say they had the support of the legal regent, Tywin, when they commited this atrocity and that they were operating under the sanction of the crown based on the arrangemants that Roose made with Jaimie when he was at Harrenhal. I think Tywin wanted them to keep their mouths shut about his involvement.

Killing him personally was to prove cred now that he was changing sides.

I'm not sure about the Jaime Lannister thing, I see two main possibilities:

-malicious, he knew there would be repercussions and wanted Jaime included.

-IMO his character is drawn as one of those pyschopaths who can function in real life and not end up in prison, in contrast to Ramsay who is flamboyantly evil. Perhaps he just passed the regards on in a sort of autistic way because he'd promised to. Then he killed Robb because he'd promised to do that, too!

I have to say that while I was really upset at the RW I was impressed by how Roose acted, upon rereads I mean. As others have said, it strikes me as a very "northern" way of acting, I mean I doubt a man like Tywin would have done the same thing where he in Roose's shoes. Tywin would most likely have had some of his henchmen do the deed while he moved on, and of course it can argued that this might be wiser in the end.

Clearly it's not. A victorious traitor gets to write the tale, and then it is no longer treason.

That's only true to a certain extent. No matter how the winner writes it (Freys, Boltons) there's no escaping the fact it was treason because everyone knows Robb was their king and the fact they won doesn't enable them to re-write that. They could go on to possibly re-write the events that led up to the RW and thus paint their act in a more justified/positive light, but the act of treason is forever there.

This reminds me a bit of the Roose Bolton is related to the Others thread, and the whole value of King's blood. In a crazy conspiracy theory, he would establish his power magically by killing Robb himself. Kind of like Snape killing Dumbledore and getting power over the Elder wand even...

hahaha this

establish his super villain status.

Or because those were the regards Jaime Lannister was sending?

Judging by the way Jaime acted towards the Westerlings, I get the feeling that he certainly didn't think his regards were going to entail treason and murder, effectively denying Robb of an honorable death in battle. I'm sure Jaime would have loved to cut Robb down on the battlefield one on one, and probably somewhat glad Robb is dead, but I don't think he's too happy about the way Robb's death came about.

The Greatjon and all of the Freys. We know the RW was Tywin's brainchild, and his children knew nothing about it. But now Roose has implied that Jamie was aware of it as well. So now that he's dead the stain passes to Jamie without him even knowing it.

We know the exact opposite; he wasn't happy with the Red Wedding other than the fact it ended the war. He very explicitly tells Tyrion(?) that he wanted Robb to have a 'hunting accident', and that the Red Wedding was entirely the workings of the Freys and the Boltons. But yes, Roose did what he did to implicate the Lannisters in the minds of the readers (and more specifically, for the future Lady Stoneheart).

Archived