Greatest Warrior in ASOIAF Westeros and Essos?

The best fighter in the entire world must be some unnamed Unsullied. No one in Westeros trained as hard as they did. Of all the named characters, perhaps Grey Worm is the best of them all. Of course some people have a natural talent for it, but the Unsullied are not just fighters, they are almost killing machines. So yeah, I think the average Unsullied would beat the shit out of any Westerosi fighter.

The best fighter in the entire world must be some unnamed Unsullied. No one in Westeros trained as hard as they did. Of all the named characters, perhaps Grey Worm is the best of them all. Of course some people have a natural talent for it, but the Unsullied are not just fighters, they are almost killing machines. So yeah, I think the average Unsullied would beat the shit out of any Westerosi fighter.

I don't know about that. I doubt the Unsullied have faced off against opponents like Westerosi knights in armor. I think the average armored knight would be able to beat the average Unsullied.

I don't know about that. I doubt the Unsullied have faced off against opponents like Westerosi knights in armor. I think the average armored knight would be able to beat the average Unsullied.

Well, armor is not everything. They could fight like Oberyn Martell. He beat the shit out of the heavily armored Mountain with only a spear and light armor. If it wasn't for the "say her name" crap he would've won easily. Perhaps the Unsullied could use the same technique.

Training hard in brutal Unsullied fashion does not necessarily beat being trained by a swordsmaster from birth.

Great lord's sons i.e. Jaime, Arthur Dayne, Barristan Selmy received elite training from when they were children. They trained hard as well, and maybe not as brutally but it doesn't mean they're any worse at fighting.

The analogy I'd use is that North Korean children might work really hard at being amazing pianists, but does that make any of them better than Mozart or Bach?

the next person who starts this thread needs to do full analysis of all the previous threads.

Unfortunately some of us only have brief and spotty search button functionality. Even google search finds the pages but still come up with an error when you open them.

I honestly think Jaime Lannister would have been one of the greatest with a little more time if he hadn't gotten his swordhand cut off.

Swordsman i agree with you but hes an average to poor battle commander/ tactitcian. For example he got captured because he was rash and tried to charge straight for Robb with his bannermen all around him

Well, armor is not everything. They could fight like Oberyn Martell. He beat the shit out of the heavily armored Mountain with only a spear and light armor. If it wasn't for the "say her name" crap he would've won easily. Perhaps the Unsullied could use the same technique.

It isn't everything but it gives a knight a huge advantage. Oberyn had experience fighting armored knights before Gregor and knew where the weak points of armor were. On the other hand, the Unsullied have most likely never faced an opponent like the Westerosi knight.

You could be right the Unsullied are kinda like Spartans with their free will taken away which makes them literal killing machines but being free is a huge impact to combat your fighting for your home, your job, your wife, all of this drives great warriors to greatness. Now imagine how deadly Grey Worm is now that he has his freedom with that training, he would fight for Dany that much harder to preserve his freedom,scary IMO. You might be right we'll see when Dany lands on Westeros and the Unsullied face the Knights of the Seven Kingdoms.

Yeah, the Unsullied probably lack the experience against armored opponents, but I really doubt they are not trained against plate armor. Still, I think most of these renowned knights are overrated. Swords are not very efficient against plate armor, so I wonder how well would Jaime or Barristan fight with a hammer or a polearm. That's why I consider Robert Baratheon the best fighter in Westeros. Hammermen (can we call them that?) > spearmen > swordsmen > axemen.

You guys are failing to mention the fact that the Unsullied have very low testosterone levels meaning they are slower and weaker than master westerosi swordsman. They gain their advantage through training and discipline but a child in westeros trained by a master swordsman possesses these skills as well, but have better swords and armor.

Yeah, the Unsullied probably lack the experience against armored opponents, but I really doubt they are not trained against plate armor. Still, I think most of these renowned knights are overrated. Swords are not very efficient against plate armor, so I wonder how well would Jaime or Barristan fight with a hammer or a polearm. That's why I consider Robert Baratheon the best fighter in Westeros. Hammermen (can we call them that?) > spearmen > swordsmen > axemen.

They could be trained against plate armor, but I doubt it since not a lot of people use it in the relatively hot Essos. The ideal weapon to be used against plate armor are blunt force/crushing weapons like warhammers or maces but the Unsullied are trained to use spears and short swords, neither of which are efficient in countering plate unless you attack the unarmored parts of the body.

Unsullied are trained to fight as groups, not individuals.

Knights as Jaime or Arthur Dayne are taller, use superior weapons, have plate armor and are trained horsemen.

Best of all time? The Dragonknight!

Best alive? I guess Jon Snow. Mance was the best swordsman of the NW and he slew countless wildlings to become King beyond the wall, so he is much more expierenced then Jon, but with Longclaw its a different story. Jon is the only expert swordman wielding a valyrian blade right now.

They could be trained against plate armor, but I doubt it since not a lot of people use it in the relatively hot Essos. The ideal weapon to be used against plate armor are blunt force/crushing weapons like warhammers or maces but the Unsullied are trained to use spears and short swords, neither of which are efficient in countering plate unless you attack the unarmored parts of the body.

You're right about their equipment. They can't do much with those weapons. Still, I think we should give the Essosi more credit. What about Syrio Forel? He took down five Lannister guards with a wooden sword. I wish we had gotten a fight scene with him using a real sword. I like to think he'd have easily killed Meryn Trant if he had one.

Unsullied are trained to fight as groups, not individuals.

Knights as Jaime or Arthur Dayne are taller, use superior weapons, have plate armor and are trained horsemen.

Best of all time? The Dragonknight!

Best alive? I guess Jon Snow. Mance was the best swordsman of the NW and he slew countless wildlings to become King beyond the wall, so he is much more expierenced then Jon, but with Longclaw its a different story. Jon is the only expert swordman wielding a valyrian blade right now.

Thats not true, id take Randyl Tarly over Jon at the moment and he has a Valryian sword called heartsbane. Id take Brienne over Jon now that she has Oathkeeper. He is still young. If there is such thing as an expert with fighting with a valryian blade, valyrian steel is lighter so a good swordsman wouldnt need to be an expert in fighting with valryian steel because he wouldn't feel the difference as in stress from weight which slows you down.

Archived