Greatest Warrior in ASOIAF Westeros and Essos?

Drogon in the east, Randyll in the west

Technically your right i didnt specify it had to be a human warrior and i honestly think Tarly is the best fighter in Westeros atm i think he will be surpassed by Jaime when hes trained his left hand, Brienne and Jon will probly surpass him as well

Does anyone know off the top of their head what Jaime Lannister has done to be regarded as highly as he is? He didn't fight in the rebellion and the only show of swordsmanship I can remember from the books is his battle with Brienne and getting captured by Robb and company. Like other than practice and tournaments, which I don't think matter as much as people think, who has he beat?

Does anyone know off the top of their head what Jaime Lannister has done to be regarded as highly as he is? He didn't fight in the rebellion and the only show of swordsmanship I can remember from the books is his battle with Brienne and getting captured by Robb and company. Like other than practice and tournaments, which I don't think matter as much as people think, who has he beat?

Where to begin, at 15 he fought alongside Arthur Dayne against the Kingswood Brotherhood, he saved Lord Crakehall fron Big Belly Ben and crossed swords with the Smiling Knight he was knighted after the battle by Arthur Dayne. He won his first tourney at 11 which says something for itself and he won several other tourneys at a young age. Theres more but i dont wanna go quote searching atm. Hes proven himself leave it at that.

At the start of the series Jaime. But Barristan would have beat him in his prime.

At the end of ADWD Garlan. Again Barristan would beat him in his prime.

Of all time probably Daemon Blackfyre.

My favourite of all time Arthur Dayne.

The best I've seen in Essos, not including Barristan, is probably Drogo. Syrrio was/is amazing and I think Rakharo will be something special in the future.

Honourable mention to Qarl the Maid who Dagmar Cleftjaw stated as the one of the fiercest warriors on the Iron Islands.

At the start of the series Jaime. But Barristan would have beat him in his prime.

At the end of ADWD Garlan. Again Barristan would beat him in his prime.

Of all time probably Daemon Blackfyre.

My favourite of all time Arthur Dayne.

The best I've seen in Essos, not including Barristan, is probably Drogo. Syrrio was/is amazing and I think Rakharo will be something special in the future.

Honourable mention to Qarl the Maid who Dagmar Cleftjaw stated as the one of the fiercest warriors on the Iron Islands.

Id go with Randyl Tarly over Garlan the evidence is on his side because we havent seen much of Garlan other than they call him Gallant and his participation in the Battle of the Blackwater.

Id go with Randyl Tarly over Garlan the evidence is on his side because we havent seen much of Garlan other than they call him Gallant and his participation in the Battle of the Blackwater.

A) He trains regularly against 3 or 4 guys. Cannot emphasize how impossible that is. The endurance alone is off the charts. B ) The Battle of the Blackwater should not be discounted. He is not an unknown; he fought once, and apparently fought like a god. That's very meaningful. Combine these 2 factors and we have the best candidate right now. Jaime, the Clegane Bros., the Red Viper and his own brother would be in the mix if healthy. Barristan if younger would be the guy, and still is in the mix at his age. Halfhand, a couple of Ironborn (Victaron and Andrik) are up there too, but it's hard to compare styles we haven't seen go against each other much. Belwas and other unarmoured guys I pass on because we have seen the difference armor makes in 1 on 1, but if the fight takes place under the desert sun, different story. Balon Swann, the Darkstar and a few others have enough buzz to make it possible that they're great when all is said and done. Edit: Hotah also seems in the mix.

At Ashford he personally killed Lord Cafferen and sent his head to King Aerys. The fact that he's willing to lead from the front means he's a pretty capable fighter.

I really wish we had more info about the time period of the first Blackfyre rebellion because it seems like they were absolutely loaded with badasses back then. Daemon Blackfyre, Gwayne Corbray and Bittersteel would probably have to be in anyone's top ten list and then there's also Bloodraven, Ulrick Dayne, Fireball and Gormon Peake. Not to mention the Dragonknight lived only a few years earlier.

A great man once said, "Stories have a way of growing in the telling".

Tourneys, and not to mention being acknowledged as the best swordsman by Ser Barristan is a pretty big endorsement.

Khal Drogo seems pretty dangerous. It's hard to say because he is never portrayed fighting, only after fights. But since he seems to suffer little, if any, wounding, he must be a formidable foe.

Of course, he wouldn't ever wear armour, but it seems that no one can hit him anyway. And unlike the pit fighters, who don't wear armour, he doesn't wear it into battle so clearly knows how to defend himself without it.

What evidence? There is none. He's acknowledged as a very good captain, a lower level leader than a great lord, commanding battles (wing/van/rear etc, about 1/3-1/5 of a full army), probably the best in Westeros (which isn't saying a huge amount, as they are not used to a fully professional military - the better of the sellsword captains would probably be as good or better than Tarly, but lack of knowledge and class snobbery isn't going to allow Tywin and his ilk to believe that).

But nothing of his personal combat skills is ever noted AFAICR?

What evidence? There is none. He's acknowledged as a very good captain, a lower level leader than a great lord, commanding battles (wing/van/rear etc, about 1/3-1/5 of a full army), probably the best in Westeros (which isn't saying a huge amount, as they are not used to a fully professional military - the better of the sellsword captains would probably be as good or better than Tarly, but lack of knowledge and class snobbery isn't going to allow Tywin and his ilk to believe that).

But nothing of his personal combat skills is ever noted AFAICR?

He was the only Lord to defeat the demon of the trident Robert Baratheon at Ashford and in that battle he killed Lord Cafferen and sent his head to Aerys. He fought in the front lines which most battle commanders dont. Hes proven himself so far more than Garlan. Garlan might be a better warrior but hes not a better soldier if you get what im saying. Garlans no commander from what weve seen a great warrior but no evidence of military leadership. Btw theres your evidence :)

He was the only Lord to defeat the demon of the trident Robert Baratheon at Ashford and in that battle he killed Lord Cafferen and sent his head to Aerys. He fought in the front lines which most battle commanders dont. Hes proven himself so far more than Garlan. Garlan might be a better warrior but hes not a better soldier if you get what im saying. Garlans no commander from what weve seen a great warrior but no evidence of military leadership. Btw theres your evidence :)

I doubt he defeated Robert in combat, but rather he won a victory over Roberts army. A victory which was also indecisive. He might be a better warrior than most people think. I believe it's mentioned that he has personally slain some lords and knight in battle.

I doubt he defeated Robert in combat, but rather he won a victory over Roberts army. A victory which was also indecisive. He might be a better warrior than most people think. I believe it's mentioned that he has personally slain some lords and knight in battle.

He didnt defeat Robert himself but he did defeat the army lead by Robert, yes he was at that battle which shows his military prowess but tbh one on one Garlan would probably win. Garlan army against Tarly army, Randyl wins.

Is it all of Arthur Dayne's tourney wins that make him great? or Battles which he commanded? Oh wait....

I'll admit that I'm kind of biased when it comes to House Dayne, especially Arthur. We don't get too much information about how good a warrior he was apart from his killing of the Smiling Knight, but I always assumed he was the stuff of legend just because of the way Jaime and Ned spoke of him (both of whom are pretty reputable when it comes to such matters). I'd have no problem considering Barristan G.O.A.T., though. Not only is he one of the best swordsmen in the World at 63, but he's an outstanding battle commander, chivalrous as a motherfucker and he's a good teacher. It wouldn't surprise me if some of his lads from Meereen end up as KG in Westeros if Dany takes the IT.

Nice picking out Hotah you know hes a beast just for how long hes survived serving the Martells and his training obviously where hes married to his axe.

Exactly, you don't command the Prince of Dorne's royal guard for as long as he has and not be anything but a commensurate warrior. "Serve, Obey, Protect"

I'll admit that I'm kind of biased when it comes to House Dayne, especially Arthur. We don't get too much information about how good a warrior he was apart from his killing of the Smiling Knight, but I always assumed he was the stuff of legend just because of the way Jaime and Ned spoke of him (both of whom are pretty reputable when it comes to such matters). I'd have no problem considering Barristan G.O.A.T., though. Not only is he one of the best swordsmen in the World at 63, but he's an outstanding battle commander, chivalrous as a motherfucker and he's a good teacher. It wouldn't surprise me if some of his lads from Meereen end up as KG in Westeros if Dany takes the IT.

Exactly, you don't command the Prince of Dorne's royal guard for as long as he has and not be anything but a commensurate warrior. "Serve, Obey, Protect"

Oh shit it's Paulie Walnuts

Archived