Will Puddles Live Up To His Nickname? [book spoilers]

LordStoneheart

I did truly like the effects of the glass/ice like skin shattering and blowing away into the wind, whoever said that CGI was crap needs to rewatch. It was fucking awesome.

:agree: I think the effects were great in the scene. I especially liked how the glass/ice effect moved slowly up Shards face and body.

I agree with the ones that say that the poor Shard wasn't exactly attacking Sam, as the book one didn't consider him a menace in front of the other two Watchmen, when he found him, and Gren, and the third.

Despite the irony here, I LOVED the White Walker's behaviour with Sam, demonstrating superiority and not killing him outright.

I don't believe he is just stupid, he just didn't mean to kill Sam, just to get the poor child.

Sam is a sworn brother of the Watch, who, as Jon did and as no other classmates of theirs did, swore to the trees, north of the Wall.

Must admit I'm somewhat Heresy illiterate, but I think efforts to ally The Old Gods/weirwoods/COtF with the Others/White Walkers are misguided. Ice and Fire are both elemental forces of destruction, while the COtF & the Weirwoods represent Life and the Earth. Nan's intimation that the only thing that stopped the Others was the COtF seems to put them in opposition, and we all know Old Nan is right about everything.

I just think the WW giving Sam a pass because he said his words in front of the heart tree is far-fetched. More likely, Shards just saw Sam as totally irrelevant.

Must admit I'm somewhat Heresy illiterate, but I think efforts to ally The Old Gods/weirwoods/COtF with the Others/White Walkers are misguided. Ice and Fire are both elemental forces of destruction, while the COtF & the Weirwoods represent Life and the Earth. Nan's intimation that the only thing that stopped the Others was the COtF seems to put them in opposition, and we all know Old Nan is right about everything.

I just think the WW giving Sam a pass because he said his words in front of the heart tree is far-fetched. More likely, Shards just saw Sam as totally irrelevant.

I don't think we can assume that the show is attempting to tie the Others to the old gods. Who knows who Craster is talking about when he references "Gods", more than likely I think he is simply referring to the Others, that's the impression I got though granted my impression of the show is informed by the books. Yeah the Other came at Sam in this last episode near the weirwood and the raven, etc. but that could easily be interpreted as the Ravens warning of the Other's approach not an alliance between the two, considering aDwD indicates the ravens are not allied with the Others I lean against thinking there is no friendly connection between the Others and the old gods/ravens/weirwoods on the show, probably quite the opposite, I can see how certain things in the show so far could be misconstrued though.

I think this thread is so funny. And only one more thing, a lot of people have played Skyrim and that also makes me happy :)

There was a brilliant Youtube comment in a video of Sam killing the WW where the poster complains that the dagger was a non-removable quest item, and thus should have been impossible to be left behind.

I don't think we can assume that the show is attempting to tie the Others to the old gods. Who knows who Craster is talking about when he references "Gods", more than likely I think he is simply referring to the Others, that's the impression I got though granted my impression of the show is informed by the books.

I agree. The Others are the only Gods Craster keeps because they are real- he can see their power directly and they keep him safe. Kind of like the Lord of Light, there's no leap of faith because "his" power is obvious.

My only quibble with Shards is the loincloth. Puddles had armor, so you kind of get the idea there is some kind of Others culture or craft/art. Half-naked Shards looks kind of Stone-Age. I mean if your skin is hard and impervious to cold I guess why bother with clothes, but then why the loincloth? And was it made of ice, too?

I was actually pretty disappointed with the scene. Would have been better to have Shards grab his own sword and knock Sams sword out of his hand etc. Didn't like how Sam's sword exploded, would have been better for it to just crumble to pieces. Also, the Others aren't meant to be super powered! He threw Sam many meters with one hand and Sam's not too light y'know.

what? did u read the books?

what? did u read the books?

Yes, I did.

Ser Waymar's sword didn't explode to dust, it shattered and he got a shard of it in his eye. Other's aren't any stronger than humans judging by what we've seen so far in the books. Also, in the book, Puddles really had his sword out when Sam killed him.

Archived