Arrow 2 - Tommy Got Shafted...Bit Late, BUT SEASON 2 SPOILERS!

Jaxom 1974

Stealing the line from someone in the other thread for this title...

Laurel and Roy are the worst written characters on the show by far. That's by probably why they weren't killed off. Many (including me) wouldn't have cared and actually would be happy they were gone. Tommy's death, on the other hand, impacts everyone watching that

Gods no. Tommy had to go. Bloody awful character. Certainly the biggest one trick pony of them all.

As for comic book logic, this is actually the opposite. Comic books have cold killers being reformed and everyone forgetting and forgiving after the reform.

This is the opposite [reverse] - Ollie is still killing people, and everyone acclimates themselves to this. The show dances around this by claiming all the guys killed are bad, though seems like some of them are almost certainly just hired security who'd realistically be veterans.

Originally it seemed like Ollie was at least partially in the wrong, with Felicity hesitating about joining up with a murderer.

Heck Tommy was the only person who managed to continually point out the fact Ollie kills people.

Other than possibly Malcom, since at least his second run in with Huntress, Ollie has gone out of his way to avoid killing. Most henchmen who are hit with arrows are seemingly getting hit in non lethal areas, otherwise he's beating them up. As for the list, he hasn't truly gone after anyone on the list for a good chunk of the latter part of the season.

Gods no. Tommy had to go. Bloody awful character. Certainly the biggest one trick pony of them all.

I just can't agree. I liked Tommy and I liked that he ultimately didn't turn dark. He ended up being the one character who was fairly consistent in his beliefs throughout the show. Him dying makes perfect sense but he wasn't nearly as bad as Laurel, Thea or Roy.

I just can't agree. I liked Tommy and I liked that he ultimately didn't turn dark. He ended up being the one character who was fairly consistent in his beliefs throughout the show. Him dying makes perfect sense but he wasn't nearly as bad as Laurel, Thea or Roy.

I agree he was consistent. But the schtick got old. Brooding because I can never be happy because Daddy didn't love me so I don't know how to really love...or confront...or deal with issues...

I'm not defending some of the other characters, but Tommy was just flat.

I don't think anyone should be holding their breath for a Laurel death. There's just no way a character like her is going to be killed off when she's one of the more flagship characters in the DCU. I do think her character is destined to be the standard CW love interest trope for awhile, though. I felt like, had they killed off her father in the season finale, that would've been the catalyst for a major transformation for her character, though. They'll probably string along the Black Canary thing for a few more seasons.

I agree he was consistent. But the schtick got old. Brooding because I can never be happy because Daddy didn't love me so I don't know how to really love...or confront...or deal with issues...

I'm not defending some of the other characters, but Tommy was just flat.

Those are legitimate reasons to be fucked up. I mean, his father is a psycho, his mother was murdered, his best friend was killed then reappeared and the girl he was dating fell for his best friend again, even after he had cheated on her with his sister. Not to mention that his best friend is also a arrow wielding vigilante. He had every reason to be fucked up.

I don't think anyone should be holding their breath for a Laurel death. There's just no way a character like her is going to be killed off when she's one of the more flagship characters in the DCU. I do think her character is destined to be the standard CW love interest trope for awhile, though. I felt like, had they killed off her father in the season finale, that would've been the catalyst for a major transformation for her character, though. They'll probably string along the Black Canary thing for a few more seasons.

Laurel will become Black Canary. She won't die anytime soon. The producers have said as much.

He had to go, but not because he was a bad character. He would had to be a vilain if he stayed around, and they had to get him out of the way between Oli/Lauren while at the same time, still being between them. Tommy saved her, and died doing it. She won't just be with Oli after that.

I loved the last ep. It was amazing. I really love this show, it keeps getting better ( althought the ep before might have been the worst yet)

Just watched the finale. Really tense and enjoyable. Hopefully Malcolm is dead, it'd be a bit of a cop out if he wasn't. I've no real reason not to think he'll be dead other than TWIIIIIIIIIIIST.

Just watched the finale. Really tense and enjoyable. Hopefully Malcolm is dead, it'd be a bit of a cop out if he wasn't. I've no real reason not to think he'll be dead other than TWIIIIIIIIIIIST.

The biggest reason to think he's not dead is because he's beloved by the fans plus he serves a purpose as a villain. It's like Deadshot still being alive even though he got an arrow through the eye.

Those are legitimate reasons to be fucked up. I mean, his father is a psycho, his mother was murdered, his best friend was killed then reappeared and the girl he was dating fell for his best friend again, even after he had cheated on her with his sister. Not to mention that his best friend is also a arrow wielding vigilante. He had every reason to be fucked up.

As I said in the last thread... (You're welcome, Jaxom.)

I was really hoping one or the other of the Merlyns would survive to be antagonists next season but both got stabbed, Tommy definitely died and Malcolm's prognosis wasn't looking so good. Though if the latter only died a comic book "death" it would be fun to see him next season with his Berserk Button permanently pressed now that his son is gone too.

Mexal, I hope you're right.

I didn't think Tommy's portrayal was flat, he resonated with me as a character. Laurel was dull and flaky and I'm not looking forward to the Black Canary as a result.

I read on another board that TPTB have said that Malcolm is definitely dead (bummer) but he may appear in flashbacks.

I predict a quickly sucktastic Season 2. I mean how much time will now be spent on Roy, Thea, and Laurel joining Ollie's team[?]

Maybe they'll surprise me but I see this show sliding into CW style nonsense.

If Malcolm really was a member of the League of Assassins, I could see his death bring other members to Starling City to take revenge and finish what he started. Let me see if I say this correctly: Ra's al Ghul

Just a thought, but maybe we should take the finale spoiler out of the thread title. ;)

Maybe change it to Arrow: Second Quiver or something else cutsie.

Just a thought, but maybe we should take the finale spoiler out of the thread title. ;)

Maybe change it to Arrow: Second Quiver or something else cutsie.

I think the thread title is significantly broad and does not have to be looked at as a spoiler.

I hated Tommy as a character at the start of this series, but he really grew on me by the end. Good work by the actor I thought, who really perfected his "death stare of doom". I thought for sure he'd be the one to live while Malcolm would get "shafted", in the process turning Tommy into the villain. I was very surprised by how that turned out.

There are 3 people who are really getting shafted:

1. The fans who have to watch Katie Cassidy and her botoxxed to hell, stuck in stone, face trying to convey emotions by "acting".

2. Felicity Smoak/Emily Bett Rickards, who has 10x the amount of chemistry with Oliver, is a far more developed character despite having less screen time, and is just better in every way being relegated to 2nd fiddle so Ollie and Laurel can be the series "one true love" or whatever.

3. Oliver/Stephen Amell being forced to have to try and carry and convey this supposedly amazing chemistry between Laurel and Ollie even though it is very clear none exists.

If you couldn't tell, I really dislike Laurel and think the show would be much better served by killing her off. In comparison, Tommy definitely desrved to stay around longer.

Though I don't bear any ill will to Laurel, it is horribly obvious that there is no spark between Oliver and Laurel. Whereas Felicity practically bounces off of him (in a very entertaining way). Heck, there's more chemistry between Oliver and Diggle, for crikey's sake.

And I know it sounds cynical, and I will miss Tommy, but my first thought when he died was that Colin Donnell either got a movie deal, or his agent asked for too much money during contract negotiations. He was the only one who seemed emotionally invested in the whole 'love triangle' thing. Ah well. RIP Tommy.

Archived