Single lines that won or lost a character's favor for you

JaegrM

"I should have been with Robb at the Red Wedding. I should have died with him."

Theon, you... You poor soul!

"Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother."

Roose jumped higher in the list than Walder Frey

"A dragon is no slave."

Dany finally doing something and winning my vote.

"I dreamt of you."

Jamie

"... Would have grown up to be a Frey."

"The North remembers."

So much win. Wyman is a beast.

"Edd, fetch me the lock."

:o

Victarion being a total idiot and being manipulated by Moccoro sealed the deal (but I can't remember a specific quote)

Doran, from an annoyance to awesomeness "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood."

Ramsay For making Theon and Jeyne do some things they'll regret. Can't remember a specific quote but it made me hate him so much.

I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home.

So much win.

Septon Meribald's "broken man" speech, though it's a paragraph, not a line.

"Edd, fetch me a block,"

"Justice." Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered "Fire and blood."

"You will have a golden crown, that men will tremble to behold." (sorry, can't remember the exact quote and don't have the book to hand)

Davos Seaworth. "What would a Frey know about honor."

Also, I know this isn't one line but this whole part is my favorite sequence in the book.

Davos felt a stab of despair. His Grace should have sent another man, a lord or knight or maester, someone who could speak for him without tripping on his own tongue. “Death,” he heard himself say, “there will be death, aye. Your lordship lost a son at the Red Wedding. I lost four upon the Blackwater. And why? Because the Lannisters stole the throne. Go to King’s Landing and look on Tommen with your own eyes, if you doubt me. A blind man could see it. What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!”

Jaime's inner monologue and the Davos-Manderly chapters are packed with great ones.

However, if I had to pick one — just one — it's, "Edd, fetch me a block." I knew Jon was good and well-meaning. But that was, I think, the threshold where he proved he could dirty his hands if necessary.

On the flip side ...

"I am the blood of the dragon. If they are monsters, so I am."

I agree with you, Dany. I. Agree. With. You.

"He’s turned against me too, Theon realized. Of late it seemed to him as if the very stones of Winterfell had turned against him. If I die, I die friendless and abandoned. What choice did that leave him, but to live?"- Theon in ACOK

"Jared of House Frey, I name you liar." - Davos in ADWD

"Robb. Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

- Theon

At that moment I was completely back on Theon's side...and I pitied him so much.

" I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.

- Stannis

I had always liked Stannis a lot, but mostly just his character, not his actions. Davos is the one to thank for this one, but it made me root for Stannis a whole lot more than when he was stuck on Dragonstone.

I am not a man to be undone, ser. - Roose Bolton.

By no means am I rooting for the guy, but he's a tremendous character. Bravo, GRRM. Even your villains are likeable.

ETA: Davos III ADwD is a pretty epic chapter. From Apple Martini's sig to some of the other lines quoted here.

Several lines that 'won' me have already been mentioned: Jaime, Doran.

Lost me on a very prolific character:

That much she could comprehend, at least. (Tyrion's rape of the sex slave.)

''Edd, fetch me a block''.

From annoying angsty teenagers to true Lord Commander of the Night's Watch in one sentence. I mean Dance turned Jon around in general for me, but that line sealed it.

"The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies...she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her?" He ground his teeth. "We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must...we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty."

- Stannis Baratheon

Archived