[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 5 episode 9 event?

KamiShikkaku

Season 4 will be Tyrion vs Tywin, the battle for the wall will happen a bit sooner in the season is my guess.

Season 5 will be the battle for Meereen

The battle for Winterfell will come in season 6 for the simple fact there is a lot more going on at the wall than there is in Meereen. That will give Tyrion and an Iron islander a season to reach Dany.

Battle of Meereen, but I hope they abandon this episode 9 formula and just pace the show according to what's best for the story. If it so happens that episode 9 is where a big event belongs, then fine, but we've seen relatively little of Robb and especially Cat this season, yet the RW was held off until ep 9 anyway. I think it's hurt momentum for that storyline and will lessen the impact for casual viewers.

You cant even decide what was important in feast and dance until winds comes out

+1

The Siege of Winterfell might not even happen. Most of the fighting could take place at Stannis's camp. The Siege of Mereen could last half the book. Its pretty clear that Dany is going to bring a huge Kallasar down on the besiegers but that is going to take a long time.

Between episode 9 and 10 we could have Victarion attacking the shields and then being given his mission by Euron. Arya going blind. Sam reaching OIdtown and meeting the maesters and Jaqen. Brienne killing Locke or Rorge and whatever shock moments that happen around that time in ADWD.

I used to think that they would do two seasons, but now I realize that one streamlined season could be wonderful. My guesses for what would happen in each episode:

1. Tywin's funeral and Tyrion's conversation with Illirio.

2. Stannis taking Deepwood Motte, Bran meeting Bloodraven (i think they'll end season 4 with Bran being saved by the children, leaving that as a cliffhanger; this would be the resolution).

3. Arys' death and Darkstar slashing Myrcella, Tyrion finding out about Aegon, and also Brienne's fight with Shagwell and the guys(I can see them replacing Rorge with Locke and making those guys Bolton men, while having Brienne believe they follow the Hound).

4. Cersei repealing Maegor's laws and restoring the Warrior's Sons, Brienne and Podrick (I can see them cutting out Ser Hyle) visiting the Quiet Isle.

5. Brienne's duel with Rorge (Locke) at the inn and being saved from Biter by the BWB; also, Sam meeting Arya and Arya killing Dareon (Arya fanboy moment there, I could even see them replacing Dareon with somebody more important from the NW - like Dolorous Edd for example, he doesn't seem to be as much of a fan favorite as his book counterpart).

6. Theon meeting Mance's spearwives and escaping Winterfell, Margaery's trial and Cersei getting jailed by the Faith.

7. Sam arriving in Oldtown, Dany and Hizdahr's wedding.

8. Daznak's Pit scene, Dany riding Drogon, also Wildling's arrive at the Wall with Val.

9. Battle of Griffin's Roost, Quentyn's death and Barristan's fight with Khrazz (that's exciting enough, they could end the episode with an epic shot of the dragons being loosed and flying into the sky, big and roaring and breathing fire).

10. Jon's assassination, the epilogue of ADWD with Kevan, Varys and Pycelle, and Dany's last scene in the Dothraki sea. of course, they could bring forward one of the battles but this seems like enough.

Streamlining Tyrions Dance storyline is a massive pro for me, not a con!

I believe S4 ep9 will be tyrion/tywin/shae, S5 ep9 could be quentyns death, but I'm open to them moving the battle for meereen forward... Although there may be money issues with having two successive seasons with massive battles

I'm getting kind of sick of the episode 9 = big event formula they've gotten into now. It worked perfectly for seasons 1 and 2, because they are the natural climaxes of the books, but now it feels like they are deliberately dragging storylines just so they can have their big scenes in that episode. It's getting predictable for non-readers now, and they're assuming that every season will have the big event at that place, removing some of the surprise. Look at Breaking Bad season 4: the climax of the season was in episode 11, with Walt's breakdown in front of Skylar, but the season was 13 episodes. Episode 12 was the fallout of episode 11, while also building to a grand finale in episode 13. I'd like to see Game of Thrones try out this technique at some point.

Anyway, to the actual topic. I find it strange that the main battle at the Wall will be in episode 9. This definitely proves D&D are sticking stubbornly to the formula listed above. What exactly is Jon going to do for the previous 8 episodes? Sure they could have the night attack on Castle Black, but that's only a one episode affair. Unless they have him sitting about moping over Ygritte's death and planning the defence for the next 7 episodes, I don't see what else they can do.

I always imagined the natural climax for season 4 would be Oberyn vs Gregor. Tyrion going on his rampage has to be in episode 10, otherwise what's he going to do after killing Shae and Tywin in episode 9? Not appear in the finale? D&D and the non-readers' favorite character? No, I don't see it. And it would hardly be good pacing if he ended the season talking to Illyrio in Pentos. That seems like the perfect starting point for season 5 to me. So yeah, I think the best 'big event' they could have for 4x9 is the Red Viper and Mountain dual, but I think, seeing what D&D have done so far, the apparently single battle at the Wall will be the big event, despite it actually being a siege with multiple battles in it, not a single battle in one day, but oh well.

The 5x9 big event is a little more tricky to predict. I'm thinking the best possible one in terms of pacing would be Daznak's Pit. Two main characters nearly meet, and we get an epic Dany ending, which after 3x4, I'm sure a lot of non-readers will want to see another one. Jon's assassination makes no sense to be the big event, as it is the fourth final chapter (including the epilogue) of aDwD, and it would be pretty ridiculous to have such a huge cliffhanger like that either not answered in 5x10 or resolved anti-climacticly, which I'm sure will be the case in Winds as well. Jon's assassination is final scene finale stuff, not final penultimate scene. I really doubt the battle of Meereen will be in season 5 at all. I think season 5 will need a huge budget as it is, and putting a massive battle on top of that will just add considerably to the cost. Look at season 2: Blackwater was the big event, and to even just show it they had to shift most of their budget into the one episode, and this was from a season where there was barely any other action scenes or much fantasy stuff needing CGI. I think season 5 will have several of these things, which will require the budget to be spread more evenly across the season, like what they have done with season 3.

So my list would go like this:

Season 1: Ned's execution.

Season 2: The battle of Blackwater.

Season 3: The Red Wedding.

Season 4: The Red Viper vs The Mountain.

Season 5: Daznak's Pit.

You misunderstood, the opening post is thinking that the Battle at the Wall will be an ep. 9. Going by the storylines (and the fact that they probably want to streamline books 4 and 5), it rather seems that season 4 will have earlier big scenes with the Purple Wedding (takes lots of time on screen) and possibly the Conquest of Meeren. With those two events, the battle of the wall can't really be at the start of the season either (see Dragonstone storyline needing to catch up), but this means we will get an awesome mid-to-end season 4 as well: Battle at the Wall (takes up nearly an episode), Viper vs. Mountain, Tyrion's Escape and possible Dany chaining her dragons).

As for Tyrion's end in s4. If you reread these last chapter of ASOS and then Cerseis of AFFC, you see that she freaks out majorly. I can see a very good ep 10 with Cersei looking frantically for Tyrion and ending it with her burning the whole Tower of the Hand (which is where we saw Tyrion the last time). Cut to Tyrion in Pentos or not. But that's a good visual ending. Though I agree, ep 10 for Tyrion killing Tywin works also (but can you scram Cersei's reaction in there? The show hasn't done the "5 minutes or even less"-gap between seasons so far).

Totally agree on Daznak's Pit, though I am unsure how it works with Tyrion's storyline. There'd need to be a lot of him in that season that he can get that far. So can they cut out something or how will they do it? I'm not an expert in that in any case... Though I'd say that the Pit also works well for the Season Finale. Which leaves only the Battle of Ice which then is placed quite early in comparison to the Meeren story. Maybe too early, but here's the problem: We don't know the big story plot points the show has to hit of the Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring, so it's hard to predict. Too hard really.

So my list would go like this:

Season 1: Ned's execution.

Season 2: The battle of Blackwater.

Season 3: The Red Wedding.

Season 4: The Red Viper vs The Mountain.

Season 5: Daznak's Pit.

I think it's either that, or the election for Lord Commander of the NW.

Tywin's death will probably be one of the last scenes of episode 10.

I used to think that they would do two seasons, but now I realize that one streamlined season could be wonderful. My guesses for what would happen in each episode:

1. Tywin's funeral and Tyrion's conversation with Illirio.

2. Stannis taking Deepwood Motte, Bran meeting Bloodraven (i think they'll end season 4 with Bran being saved by the children, leaving that as a cliffhanger; this would be the resolution).

3. Arys' death and Darkstar slashing Myrcella, Tyrion finding out about Aegon, and also Brienne's fight with Shagwell and the guys(I can see them replacing Rorge with Locke and making those guys Bolton men, while having Brienne believe they follow the Hound).

4. Cersei repealing Maegor's laws and restoring the Warrior's Sons, Brienne and Podrick (I can see them cutting out Ser Hyle) visiting the Quiet Isle.

5. Brienne's duel with Rorge (Locke) at the inn and being saved from Biter by the BWB; also, Sam meeting Arya and Arya killing Dareon (Arya fanboy moment there, I could even see them replacing Dareon with somebody more important from the NW - like Dolorous Edd for example, he doesn't seem to be as much of a fan favorite as his book counterpart).

6. Theon meeting Mance's spearwives and escaping Winterfell, Margaery's trial and Cersei getting jailed by the Faith.

7. Sam arriving in Oldtown, Dany and Hizdahr's wedding.

8. Daznak's Pit scene, Dany riding Drogon, also Wildling's arrive at the Wall with Val.

9. Battle of Griffin's Roost, Quentyn's death and Barristan's fight with Khrazz (that's exciting enough, they could end the episode with an epic shot of the dragons being loosed and flying into the sky, big and roaring and breathing fire).

10. Jon's assassination, the epilogue of ADWD with Kevan, Varys and Pycelle, and Dany's last scene in the Dothraki sea. of course, they could bring forward one of the battles but this seems like enough.

Don't forget Cersei's walk of Shame, that'd be an awesome Ep. 9 or 10 moment

To those who say I'm wrong about the Battle of the Wall being the season 4 episode 9 event... Well, you might be correct. But Blackwater received a lot of praise, so I think D&D might try to emulate some of that success when they see an opportunity to. And I swear I read an interview where they were being asked about Blackwater, and they mentioned that there was an even larger battle coming up, and they seemed to suggest it would be the Battle of the Wall (unless I was reading too much into it). Blackwater was a costly episode, so I think if we have another episode which is even bigger, they would want to make it "event television", which like it or not, episode 9 has become the slot for.

And I think people saying it will give Jon nothing to do for the first 8 episodes aren't observing how the show works properly. Bran has done absolutely nothing in the first 8 episodes of season 3, and even if we just look at "main" characters, even Tyrion has done relatively little. Jon's season 4 will be much more eventful. Here's an idea of how it might play out:

- Episodes 1-2 or 3: Returning to Castle Black. Having wounds tended to. Scenes with Pyp, Aemon, Donal Noye, etc. Warning of attack. Preparation for attack.

- Episode 4: Attack on Castle Black, death of Ygritte [i don't think the attack on the Castle Black would happen any earlier than episode 3 or 4, because it makes for terrible pacing to kill off Ygritte in the first couple episodes, and we already know of scenes between Wildlings that seem to take place before the attack.]

- Episode 5: Jon mourning the death of Ygritte

- Episode 6: Jon doesn't appear.

- Episode 7: Wildings start to attack the wall, which we only see from above. Jon leads the defence when Donal Noye is killed.

- Episode 8: Defence continues until Slynt/Thorne arrive and throw Jon in a cell for being a traitor.

- Episode 9: Jon sent out to treat with Mance. Stannis arrives, BIG BATTLE INVOLVING GIANTS AND POLAR BEARS WHICH OUR HERO JON SNOW CAN JOIN IN ON! AUDIENCE IS HAPPY!

- Episode 10: Battle aftermath. Meeting with Stannis/Mel. Sam arrives (this might happen earlier).

- Leave Jon becoming LC for the start of season 5.

PS. This is my third time trying to post this thread. The last two times were word-for-word exactly the same (with the same spoiler warning), but were rejected by moderators for some reason unbeknownst to me. I tried asking why here, but another mod decided that instead of answering, he would lock the thread. Gotta love strict nonsensical modding. Props to the mod who finally allowed the topic.

To those who say I'm wrong about the Battle of the Wall being the season 4 episode 9 event... Well, you might be correct. But Blackwater received a lot of praise, so I think D&D might try to emulate some of that success when they see an opportunity to. And I swear I read an interview where they were being asked about Blackwater, and they mentioned that there was an even larger battle coming up, and they seemed to suggest it would be the Battle of the Wall (unless I was reading too much into it). Blackwater was a costly episode, so I think if we have another episode which is even bigger, they would want to make it "event television", which like it or not, episode 9 has become the slot for.

And I think people saying it will give Jon nothing to do for the first 8 episodes aren't observing how the show works properly. Bran has done absolutely nothing in the first 8 episodes of season 3, and even if we just look at "main" characters, even Tyrion has done relatively little. Jon's season 4 will be much more eventful. Here's an idea of how it might play out:

- Episodes 1-2 or 3: Returning to Castle Black. Having wounds tended to. Scenes with Pyp, Aemon, Donal Noye, etc. Warning of attack. Preparation for attack.

- Episode 4: Attack on Castle Black, death of Ygritte [i don't think the attack on the Castle Black would happen any earlier than episode 3 or 4, because it makes for terrible pacing to kill off Ygritte in the first couple episodes, and we already know of scenes between Wildlings that seem to take place before the attack.]

- Episode 5: Jon mourning the death of Ygritte

- Episode 6: Jon doesn't appear.

- Episode 7: Wildings start to attack the wall, which we only see from above. Jon leads the defence when Donal Noye is killed.

- Episode 8: Defence continues until Slynt/Thorne arrive and throw Jon in a cell for being a traitor.

- Episode 9: Jon sent out to treat with Mance. Stannis arrives, BIG BATTLE INVOLVING GIANTS AND POLAR BEARS WHICH OUR HERO JON SNOW CAN JOIN IN ON! AUDIENCE IS HAPPY!

- Episode 10: Battle aftermath. Meeting with Stannis/Mel. Sam arrives (this might happen earlier).

- Leave Jon becoming LC for the start of season 5.

PS. This is my third time trying to post this thread. The last two times were word-for-word exactly the same (with the same spoiler warning), but were rejected by moderators for some reason unbeknownst to me. I tried asking why here, but another mod decided that instead of answering, he would lock the thread. Gotta love strict nonsensical modding. Props to the mod who finally allowed the topic.

To be honest, if it were to play out like this. It would be the most Jon has done in four seasons, and would be epic! :agree:

If they were to make books 4 and 5 one complete season, it may turn out a little rushed and disjointed. Integrating the Martells with new stories in Essos will be tricky.. the characters in Dorne will need a lot of screen time to establish themselves as another family, e.g. Margaery was good in season 2, but its the time on screen in S3 that made her a threat, to see what she's really like...

I also would assume the writers will wanna make their own scenes which will only limit the progress of the story. So if they stopped at certain point, e.g. Brienne starts searching for Sansa, travels the country, having a monologue about how she won't betray Catelyn oath, about Jaime, etc and ends with her killing Locke. Despite having little for Brienne in S4, Brienne could meet the Brotherhood in S5, meet Lady Stoneheart, and her season will end with finding Jaime in the riverlands and bringing him to her.

This would also give GRRM more time to write the final 2 books.. I don't want to find out the ending on TV before I get a chance to read about it.

i reckon it will be the battle of the shield islands, and retaking of deepwood motte along with a few other things, episode 9 can just be jam packed with awesome bits, it doesnt need to all focus on a single event. Also i disagree that the battle of the wall will be next seasons episode 9, i reckon that will come in more next season and episode 9 will be tyrions trial and on the wall stannis offering jon winterfell

There's no way the (2nd) Battle of Meereen is going to be in season 5. I'd put that one as a serious contender for late season 6 or 7, as there's just too much material. Daznak's pit is probably too early as well, Tyrion has a long way to go and Dany needs to do a lot in Meereen first as she leaves the city soon afterwards for her epiphany. The Harpy storyline will probably be slightly extended to give 2+ seasons worth of material for pre-battle Meereen and give Dany more time to rule by trial-and-error.

Tyrion's season 5 story can go like this:

Episode 1: Talking with Illyrio in Pentos.

Episode 2: Travels with Illyrio on the road, gets handed over to JonCon's guys.

Episode 3: Travels the seas with JonCon and (f)Aegon; attack by the people (?) with the grey mare.

Episode 4: Finds out who Young Griff is and convinces him to attack Westeros instead of meeting Dany.

Episode 5: Captured by Jorah at the brothel.

Episode 6: In Volantis with Jorah.

Episode 7: Sails the seas with Jorah, Penny and the priest of R'hllor whose name escapes me. Massive storm. Captures by slavers.

Episode 8: Sold at the slave markets. Tyrion saves Jorah.

Episode 9: Daznak's Pit.

Episode 10: Negotiating with Brown Ben Plumm outside Meereen; joins his mercenary company; his story ends with the siege of Meereen beginning (the siege, not battle.)

This outline does streamline a lot of his 'adventures' like looking at turtles and staring at Lemore bathing, but it does make his story more fast-paced.

Archived