Did the last dragon and the last direwolf die at the same time?

Mladen

Direwolves aren't really magical creatures though. They existed in our planets history as well. GRRM just made them bigger than the real ones.

I think it's pretty obvious — given the whole warg-bond thing — that these are no ordinary wolves. And stuff from our planet can't really be used to explain stuff in this world.

But Jon wasn't the first, Bloodraven was.

If you mean that Jon wasnt` the first union of the Targaryens and First Men, I know that. Even Bloodraven wasn`t first since before him, happened marriage between Hightower and Targaryen. I just meant whether these unions are important on some greater scale.

If they were completely extinct north of the Wall, then we wouldn't have had direwolf pups for the Stark children at the beginning of the book. There's also something that Leaf says in Dance suggesting that the direwolves remained alive and in hiding:

If the direwolves will outlast the rest of the magical species/large game of Westeros, then they must have continued existing after men thought them gone.

Crazy theory coming through, no need to take it seriously unless you want to

the end of the series is going to be the children of the forest restoring westeros to what it was before the first men, they just have an underground metaphorical noahs arc going on until the they can completely wipe out everyone above ground.

They may be working with the others in a sense to allow them to wipe out everyone (maybe that's why they cannot come into the cave), but once the wall is down and everyone above is dead, they get rid of the others, the sail that metaphorical arc outta the cave and repopulate the world with all the magical creatures that existed before.

the end of the series is going to be the children of the forest restoring westeros to what it was before the first men, they just have an underground metaphorical noahs arc going on until the they can completely wipe out everyone above ground.

They may be working with the others in a sense to allow them to wipe out everyone (maybe that's why they cannot come into the cave), but once the wall is down and everyone above is dead, they get rid of the others, the sail that metaphorical arc outta the cave and repopulate the world with all the magical creatures that existed before.

The motives of the Children seem pretty wide-open right now, but the sadness and fatalism of Leaf's statement suggests she doesn't think anything can be done to avert the extinction of the CotF. The fact that the Children have fought alongside the humans and helped out the Watch in the past suggests that they wouldn't knowingly work with the Others, but there's a lot of story to go and many revelations.

The motives of the Children seem pretty wide-open right now, but the sadness and fatalism of Leaf's statement suggests she doesn't think anything can be done to avert the extinction of the CotF. The fact that the Children have fought alongside the humans and helped out the Watch in the past suggests that they wouldn't knowingly work with the Others, but there's a lot of story to go and many revelations.

Yeh I kinda just added that in for a reason the whole above ground population would be wiped out for the children

I just like thinking they might have some mystical animals hidden away haha

I think it's pretty obvious — given the whole warg-bond thing — that these are no ordinary wolves. And stuff from our planet can't really be used to explain stuff in this world.

That's true - even in the case of humans. Look at the way that humans have oddly persistent genetics that are passed on. And have purple eyes.

Direwolves are there all the time. They just don't come south of the wall anymore.

Some people believe that there was something magical about the Stark direwolves, probably Bloodraven placing them there through warging. Who knows? Maybe it was a direct intervention from the old gods.

At first I was skeptical whether the direwolves were extinct, but according to GRRM the Direwolves were extinct beyond the wall

http://web.archive.o...3/00103009.htm/

I think this is another case of GRRM forgetting what he wrote in the novels in a subsequent interview. We have it from several characters that Direwolves still exist North of the wall, and we have the general reactions from the wildlings who don't pay any particular mind to Ghost. I think it's pretty well established that North of the wall they still exist.

It seems like it's more than just coincidence, but it leads me to wonder whether there is some power who is dictating all of these events. I know(and am glad) that we won't be seeing any 'gods' or deities but there must be some other explanation as to why the sigils of Stark and Targ appear at almost the same time.

I know there's a lot of speculation about BR sending the direwolf south, but still doesn't explain the dragons.

Also, has anyoe noticed how many bad things happen when Targaryens unite with blood of First Men:

1. Viserys I marrying Hightower, and she gave birth to Aegon II - he started Dance of dragons - 131 AL

2. Aegon IV siring bastards with various women, one of them was Mysella Blackwood - which resulted in giving birth to Bloodraven - 175 AL

3. Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. relationship ended producing one son - Jon Snow - 283 AL

Aegon IV`s bastards led to Blackfyre rebellions and Bloodraven was the greenseer, and relationship that ended in giving birth to Jon Snow resulted in RR.

Crazy theory coming through, no need to take it seriously unless you want to

Wow! :stunned:

In Bran III in ADWD he is talking to Leaf and she says:

"...The Direwolves will outlast us all,but their time will come as well. In the world men have made, there is no room for them or us."

So it seems they are not extinct.

I agree, I think GRRM just forgot when he said that they were extinct, or maybe he meant South of the Wall. When Leaf is talking about the magical creatures still around and says how the direwolves will outlast them all kinda settles it.

I assumed there were direwolves north of the wall the whole time. IIRC none of the wildlings are surprised by the presence of Ghost.

There are also rumours that dragons still live in the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai (I think it was that place ... it was mentioned in one of Dany's AGoT chapters). Just rumours, granted, but given the "rumours" about Dany and her dragons, giants etc. ... not so unlikely.

The both species well may have been at the same level of endangerment.

Archived