Can we get another shocking twist in series?

cooper56

Oh no, I hope not! But then again, he seems to be a genuinely good-natured and honourable man. Such people are on short notice in Westeros lately. :(

It's impact would be good for the plot, too, since it'd mean Dany is left without either of her two knights guarding her anymore (assuming she charges into battle on the back of Drogon).

Come to think of it, this would be another shocking twist: After all this build-up, Dany doesn't use a dragon in battle. :angry:

I think this is very likely actually. It would be the death of a much loved, important, but not vital to the story character. His death almost makes too much sense. Someone has to die and just think of all the awesome deathbed thoughts and confessions we could get from Selmy! If he has tome to talk to Dany before actually dying he could blow our minds with what he has to say! At the least he can clue Dany onto the truth of her families downfall.

I can see WoW being very Arya heavy, and then for her to bite the bullet in the end. I agree that a Stark death would have a big impact, even Rickon. I think now that we've been desensitised to it, it will be more difficult to go for a 'shock value' approach. This is good though as I don't think it is the approach GRRM takes. Maybe the Others will just go on an Archer style rampage and kill everyone :)

I can see WoW being very Arya heavy, and then for her to bite the bullet in the end. I agree that a Stark death would have a big impact, even Rickon. I think now that we've been desensitised to it, it will be more difficult to go for a 'shock value' approach. This is good though as I don't think it is the approach GRRM takes. Maybe the Others will just go on an Archer style rampage and kill everyone :)

A DoS is simply that, a dream as the red comet crashes into the planet causing massive geographical changes. As the world is enveloped in flame, Jon and Dany fight to their last breath for a melting throne. The Great Other flash freezes the planet leaving only a giant stone tapestry (the new Bayeux Tapestry) for the universe to marvel at and study.

Let's list the possibilities :

Jon staying dead : the attempt to assassinate him was prepared since a long time, and people on forums would have many debates about "did he desserved that" ; killing the most prophetized important character is also one of the strongest anti-genre move Martin can do, so would serve well the logic of asoiaf ; on the other end Jon is probably the less hatred major character, and his death, especially such a non heroic one, may well damage the popularity of the serie to a point of no return

Rickon dying on Skagos : he is a Stark and a child but also an under-developped character, don't know if his death would be considered important enough to renew the "everyone can die" sentiment ; but that gratuitous cruelty would certainly piss a lots of Stark fans

Davos dying trying to reach Rickon : for me he is a serious possibility, as a PoV but not a major one, and a good character but not serving the good faction ; he also already had his moments of glory in the story (like convincing Stannis to go to the wall), so his life wouldn't appear absurd ; his death would be a shock for most readers but not one ruining asoiaf popularity I think

Uncat/Brienne killing Jaime : just when the reader was seing him on his way to redemption, and thinking he had a role in Cersei prophecies ; the good point is it would be a tragic death in a scene with high emotion potential

Tyrion stupidly killed at Mereen (by ironborns because the second sons were too slow to change side, or by Dany because he is a Lannister) : after his long travel to be there it would be a 100 times bigger fuck you to readers than the whole Quentyn's story, especially when Tyrion was recovering his usual self after his most depressive passages ; on the other hand that death may be popular in some quarters of the fanbase and may be one of the best choice to show everyone, even the presumed writer favorite, can die

Sansa killed by Littlefinger when trying to betray him (or by someone else trying to flee the Vale) : if after 5 books waiting for Sansa to do something by herself her first action is such an epic failure, I think I'd beat even a potential Tyrion's death in term of "FY factor", plus Sansa has some of the most fanatic fanbase on the internet, so riots should be expected all around the world ; finally, if Martin wants to create a shock using her, I find killing her a little weak compared to making her a willing accomplice and lover of LF and antagonist of the other main characters

Arya killed somewhere : like for Sansa would look absurd to have followed her slow evolution and training for nothing ; if she die she should do something important first

Daenerys killed before reaching Westeros : even bigger "FY factor" after spending 5 books waiting for her to press her claim ; and I think even quarters of the fanbase who think her mad or hate her would be pissed if she dies without burning some cities first ; no chance to happen for me

Bran : nobody expect his death, and I have difficulties to imagine it ; would be an even more cruel anti-Stark than killing Rickon ; like for Sansa, if Martin wants to create a shock using him, killing Bran is weak compared to making him an antagonist under BloodRaven influence (with things like Jojen paste to add to the horror factor)

Stannis really losing the battle of Ice and really dead : I'd say it's the most probable possibility as it would achieve two goals : showing that everyone can die, and showing that somethings things that are announced in letters rather than in PoVs really happen ; it would also help the story to progress by forcing Jon to save the day in the north, and allow a Stark to avenge his family killing the Boltons rather than a stranger ; finally while there are some very fanatic Stannis fans there are also a lot more who would have no problem with his death

Asha killed during the battle of Ice or somewhere in the north : an unexpected death as she is the only popular ironborn, and the one most see ending their queen ; still she is a secundary character and rarely a first favorite ; her death may be a shock without damaging asoiaf popularity too much, so may be a serious possibility

I think any deaths will not be as shocking as Ned's or Rob's. And the reason for this is this very form. Speculation on events means it will not be a surprise. And we won't be as shocked if its not a surprise. Whereas, (and I was not reading the books then so im not entirely sure) there was no form or website or group or whatever where people sat around and speculated back in AGOT. No one was like, "hmm, the most shocking twist to come would be if Ned died." And even in book three I doubt there was much speculation. But now, waiting five years for the last book and looking like another five for this next one, all people do is speculate and wonder at the impact at every death. When a character dies, it will already be speculated and wont be as out of the blue. Although, even if not being surprised lessens the Impact a little, any of the major twisting deaths like Jamie killing Cercie, Sansa killing LF, Arya killing Dany or so forth will still have enormous impact and emotion.

If the question is whose death will have an impact...

I'd say Arya, Jaime...because they seem like the good guys and have been right at the centre of the action...that's why we have developed a bond with them

Bran, Rickon seem so far removed from the main story I don't think it will have as much an impact as Robb or Ned dying.

Jon Snow and Dany again seem to be far removed from the main plot...and we all think they have far too major roles to play at the end...

So I see the end coming for Arya & Jaime

Dany lands in Westeros and is mercilessly crushed by whoever she will be fighting there. Then, after the battle, she is gang-raped and thrown into the pyre. While she is screaming, somebody makes a mocking comment about the "Mother of Dragons", which debunks the fireproof theory once and for all. I would love to see how the fans would react to this. Wow, what a shitstorm it would be <rotfl>. Of course, it will never happen

I don't know... I don't expect such surprises anymore - I guess that's the bad side effect with such delays between the books: The mind fly free, and a forum like this one has time enough to hatch all possibilities!

Hopefully I'm wrong. :-)

I think that major twists will no longer be deaths.

If Dany or Stannis die at the end of the series it is not a huge shock for me.

I think the biggest plot twists will (could) be:

- the truth on Littlefinger's masterplan

- the truth on Varys's masterplan

- the truth on the Others

Furthermore another option is that a character turns out to be the opposite of what he/she is (something like if, at the end of the LoTR after Sauron's destruction, Gandalf suddenly wears another ring and becomes the new super-evil Lord of the World enslaving humans, hobbits and elves.)

Of course also a perfectly logical reveal of Jon's parentage that is not R+L=J would be quite shocking.

Ned and Robb's deaths were functional to the plot, as they have served a purpose. At the moment the only PoVs that could die soon are Ser Barristan and maybe Victarion Greyjoy.

Jaime dying seems probable to me. He's ready to tell the world the truth about his relationship with Cersei and that Joff, Tommen, and Myrcella are his kids, and I don't think he will be given the chance to reveal that information to the world. It would draw a comparison to the many times in the series when something positive was going to take place only to be tragically ruined.

Such as:

Renly to ally with Robb before he was killed

Arya to reunite with Cat and Robb before the RW

Tyrion looking to be guaranteed to be proven innocent in his trial until Oberyn was killed

Ned to tell Robert about his children until the hunting incident

Archived