[BOOK SPOILERS] "Sam the Slayer" nickname cut?

teemo

Will it be cut considering there were no witnesses besides Gilly? They could easily be lying and I doubt anyone would believe them anyway. Do you think his nickname is cut or will his brothers believe the story?

Have you ever told a story that is so ridiculous that nobody believes it? When you keep insisting that it's true, people start to mock you. 'Sam the Slayer' is just a nickname that people use to tease and belittle, not entirely unlike Lord Snow. It's not like many people believed it in the first place, whether Grenn is there or not hardly matters.

Have you ever told a story that is so ridiculous that nobody believes it? When you keep insisting that it's true, people start to mock you. 'Sam the Slayer' is just a nickname that people use to tease and belittle, not entirely unlike Lord Snow. It's not like many people believed it in the first place, whether Grenn is there or not hardly matters.

Exactly, they had witnesses in the book and yet, people didn't completely believe it. This could be the same: some might believe it, some others won't. Those who are nice to him might.

Sam needs to tell them as it's important, So he will tell people and some won't believe him and call him Sam the Slayer to mock him. But Jon will believe and that's all that matters as he'll be the Lord Commander.

I don't think it'll be out but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That Other did look like the same one who made eye contact with Sam at the end of S2 (the one on horseback). If so, then why did he leave Sam alone the first time around and come after Sam, Gilly and the baby this time? Was Gilly's son what he was after, ala Craster's sacrifices? He clearly did not intend to kill Sam either time, as he merely shattered Sam's sword and flung him aside.

I think they might go the way victim is proposing, where they will probably mock Sam when he tells them the story later. That being said, it will probably be one throw-away line meant for the readers and then they will move onto how obsidian kills the Others. Too bad too. "Sam the Slayer" is a great turning point in Sam's character.

If I remember correctly from the books, not very many people took the story seriously even though there were witnesses who saw Sam do it and he was mocked with the title anyways. In this case, Gilly is the only witness and people won't take her seriously either but they'll still mock Sam with the title and that still works I guess.

I'm also one of those obsessed with the fact they ran off and he left the damn dragonglass laying there in the snow!! :(

One of the things that made the Sam the Slayer nickname even more of a mockery was the fact that he just stabbed blindly at the Other and happened to connect.

Yes, many did mock him for the act since they didn't believe it but having the discussion between Grenn and Sam when Sam asked to not be called that I thought was kinda important for both of their characters.

Leaving the dagger behind is just another way of having it get destroyed without him having to fight another one and have it shatter. it also might lend to the "I left it there. And more back at the...." if they do want to go in the direction of having found a cache of them that are no longer available.

I was yelling at him to go back and pick up the dagger. I think that perhaps Coldhands will pick it up and return it to Sam when they meet.

Seriously!

How on earth is Sam supposed to be the Slayer if he doesn't even have the freaking dagger he used for the slaying?

Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

Will it be cut considering there were no witnesses besides Gilly? They could easily be lying and I doubt anyone would believe them anyway. Do you think his nickname is cut or will his brothers believe the story?

They don't have to believe his story in order to start ironically calling him Slayer

Archived