[BOOK AND TV SPOILERS] Daario and Valar Morghulis?

Young Nan

So I'm very confused about the scene when Daario got an iron coin and said "Valar Morghulis". In the book I don't recall him ever using that expression, and so far, in the show we've only seen it associated with Jaqen H'ghar. My husband, a non-reader, now thinks Daario is a faceless man. I tried to convince him otherwise but he thinks its a show-only change they made. Is that what they were going for?

Not sure if It was ever explained in the show but Valar Morghulis just means "all men must die". I guess that was just Daario's way of saying "what the hell, I lost the draw, I'm going in". Not sure if I understand the draw, tho. Why did Daario lose? I'll reckon getting the Braavosi coin means u lose, but still ... It felt kinda weird and unexplained.

So I'm very confused about the scene when Daario got an iron coin and said "Valar Morghulis". In the book I don't recall him ever using that exp<b></b>ression, and so far, in the show we've only seen it associated with Jaqen H'ghar. My husband, a non-reader, now thinks Daario is a faceless man. I tried to convince him otherwise but he thinks its a show-only change they made. Is that what they were going for?

GRRM implies, in Essos, all speak some form of Valyrian and know the canonical greeting.

Melisandre and Thoros used it a few episodes back.

In fact Thoros gave the required reply "Valar Dohaeris" a few episodes back, first time we have heard it on the show.

So I'm very confused about the scene when Daario got an iron coin and said "Valar Morghulis". In the book I don't recall him ever using that exp<b></b>ression, and so far, in the show we've only seen it associated with Jaqen H'ghar. My husband, a non-reader, now thinks Daario is a faceless man. I tried to convince him otherwise but he thinks its a show-only change they made. Is that what they were going for?

a bunch of people have said valor morghulis so far in the show. Its been common

Valar Morghulis is just a saying in Braavosi. It's not exclusive to the Faceless Men. I forgot, wasn't the coin that Jaqen gave to Arya just a regular Braavosi coin with those words on it? Just like the Titan's Bastard said, it's just a Braavosi coin. That's all. Daario isn't a Faceless Man. At least, I hope not.

. I forgot, wasn't the coin that Jaqen gave to Arya just a regular Braavosi coin with those words on it?

i dont think so. otherwise everyone in the world would be using regular coins to get very cheap passage on bravosi ships.

Not sure if It was ever explained in the show but Valar Morghulis just means "all men must die". I guess that was just Daario's way of saying "what the hell, I lost the draw, I'm going in". Not sure if I understand the draw, tho. Why did Daario lose? I'll reckon getting the Braavosi coin means u lose, but still ... It felt kinda weird and unexplained.

It was explained, in clear dialogue, that the man who got the Braavosi coin would be the one to go into the camp.

Mero said explicitly that the one who draws the Braavosi coin will do the deed.

He also used the phrase "lovely girl." definitely raised an eyebrow.

This.

I can see how non book readers might start to think Daario is either a faceless man, or more specifically, Jaqen himself. In fact, using the similar lines even further accentuated that possibility. Red herring? Possibly. New theory / conspiracy rambling material? Definitely! haha.

His appearance was quite a huge disappointment to me. Daario Naharis keeps his beard cut in three prongs and dresses in loud colors... The TV series boy looks way too faded. In the books he had the look of a man.

His appearance was quite a huge disappointment to me. Daario Naharis keeps his beard cut in three prongs and dresses in loud colors... The TV series boy looks way too faded. In the books he had the look of a man.

He had the look of Clown you mean.

Archived