The Politics of Marriage

Westeros

According to Peter Dinklage, yes... hrm.

St. Tyrion to the rescue.

It happens in film and even TV , actors of the caliber of Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance (a few others) , and , yes, also Dave and Dan bring a larger dimension to prose character. It can't be helped.

I do like the way D&D have enhanced the Game by thrusting forward Highgarden as bigger piece on the board.

They are there in the books , but until now, prose wise, been working more in the background.

I am a fan of this kind of political intrigue.

Marriage and political alliance and advantage played out pretty much as George wrote it in the book.

He cites The War of the Roses as an inspiration.

That's a good story to take.

I think of this world and Henry VIII and Elisabeth I.

In Henry's case the Papacy was trying to hold off the Protestant Reformation , bent backwards by Northern Europe, but held onto England , Henry and Elisabeth were the straw. Marriage did not work for the Catholic Church as an alliance , Elisabeth never married but reigned very long, when attempts to bring England back into fold , after her death, eventually failed , it was all over. (Yes I know, it is much much more complex than that.)

Why it took several 1000 of years for Europe to shed an outmoded political system like monarchy , and I mean absolutely, has always been a puzzle, tho we have seen monarchs traded for tyrants, a strange feature of Western Europe (well elsewhere too).

One wonders, should ask George sometime, when he thinks Martin World will shed its stupid form of governance?!

Maybe it won't, just turn into a frozen waste populated by cold shambling hamburger.

He clearly says "at least" he can protect her.

Alternatively, "at least he can protect her" means that in his view Tyrion justifies it to himself because he can protect her.

Which is not in the book, in fact. Tyrion could have rejected her. She could have been married to Lancel or some other Lannister kinsman. Tyrion chose to marry her herself because of this:

He rose to his feet. "You shall never have Casterly Rock, I promise you. But wed Sansa Stark, and it is just possible that you might win Winterfell."

Tyrion Lannister, Lord Protector of Winterfell. The prospect gave him a queer chill. "Very good, Father," he said slowly...

Sansa's personal safety was not a concern for him in the novel. He knows she's miserable and unhappy and he thinks Joffrey is a "royal pustule", but his interests in her when he decides to marry her has nothing at all to do with keeping her from Joffrey or making her life happier. Indeed, he expects she'll be even more miserable when she sees who she's to wed.

Has Peter Dinklage read the books? As I have heard some of the actors have not, therefore if that's the way he sees his character, then it could be because he only knows as much as the producers tell him.

Has Peter Dinklage read the books? As I have heard some of the actors have not, therefore if that's the way he sees his character, then it could be because he only knows as much as the producers tell him.

I believe he has not. There was that deliciously awkward moment at that roundtable with GRRM before Season 3 came out when the actors present were put on the spot and asked whether or not they'd read the books. Peter Dinklage, if I recall correctly, came down on the "Not" side. The only one of the major cast members who's read the books is Kit Harington, and I don't think he's read ADWD yet.

Since Dinklage hasn't read the books (I don't think), I can handwave him attributing to Tyrion a belief that the silver lining in the marriage is his ability to protect Sansa, especially when the character in the show puts his foot down about the bedding, since I can see an actor looking at that and drawing that conclusion. However, that's just the actor forming his own opinion, as opposed to anything in the show: TV Tyrion has plenty of time to mull over the marriage, and there's nothing to indicate in his dialogue that he believes that at least he'll be able to protect Sansa through the marriage. It doesn't come up at any point.

Alternatively, "at least he can protect her" means that in his view Tyrion justifies it to himself because he can protect her.

Which is not in the book, in fact.

Nor is it in the show, at least through 3x08. Until and unless there's something, anything, in the show to indicate that Peter Dinklage's opinion about Tyrion's belief that at least he can use the marriage to protect Sansa is in fact part of show canon and not Dinklage's personal head canon for TV Tyrion, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Lena Headey says stuff about her personal head canon for TV Cersei that isn't really reflected in the show and certainly isn't in the books, and no one cares. How is this any different?

I question the wisdom of taking any sound bites from GOT actors, most of whom haven't read the books as far as I can tell, as any sort of definitive statement as to show canon (or any hint as to how we're supposed to see the character in book canon). It's like those reporters asking poor Rory McCann about whether there's a romantic element in the Hound/Sansa relationship.

Why it took several 1000 of years for Europe to shed an outmoded political system like monarchy , and I mean absolutely, has always been a puzzle, tho we have seen monarchs traded for tyrants, a strange feature of Western Europe (well elsewhere too).

What makes a king a king? Who of these 3 men has more Power?

Its all about power...

And, well... to tell you the hard truth: Our "System" right now is also still VERY bad. Hunger, war, poor people ect. ... its still everywere.

(No need to go into detail here... everyone with a brain sees it... the others... well it would be a waste of time to argue with them really)

Now,the problem is, that in every system, the people-in-power NEED the system to... remain in power.

So you would saw on the branch you sit on, by changeing that system.

Its actually more of small wonder, that the system even changed that much in Western Europe (and elsewhere too).

If you all are wondering about who read the books, this Emmy Panel of the actors and GRRM himself (as well as D&D) has a question all about who read the books.

It is actually interesting, because some of the actors are nervous to admit that they have not read the books when they are sitting next to George.

The entire interview/panel is pretty fun (over an hour long too), although I'm sure it's been in the forums already somewhere. But here it is once again, in case you missed it.

Archived