Varys and Dany (later book spoilers)

Isy

Doing my first re-read of AGOT (after first reading all the books two years ago) and I am really enjoying finding all the hidden nuggets, clues and in some cases just beautiful segments of writing upon a second read.

I have recently read the chapter in which Arya finds herself under the Red Keep and witnesses two men discussing Ned, the King and their plans.

Am I right in understanding these two men are Varys and Illyrio?

They discuss holding off the war until their plans are in place - is this referring to Aegon?

As Illyrio poured a lot of money and resources into setting up the wedding for Dany and Drogo, and if Varys/Illyrio are in cahoots, then why does Varys reveal to the King/Council that Dany is pregnant, leading to the council's decision to have Dany killed by as assassin? I guess if he didn't reveal the info then he wouldn't be considered a good spider, but it is putting a big asset at risk.

Further, are they hedging their bets by having Dany AND Aegon up their sleeves?!

Maybe Varys tells the council about Dany's baby because he wants Aegon to be the only true ruler?

Which would make sense if Varys and Illyrio are not working together... but they are, and Illyrio just spent huge amounts of time bringing Dany and Viserys into his home, gave them some priceless dragon eggs and spent lots of money/effort to see her wed... clearly if Varys/Illyrio wanted them dead it would have been done in Pentos, so I don't think this is about killing Dany, it seems to be about bringing her to the attention of Westeros/The King/Small Council --- which is all very high stakes, as Varys would know this might lead to an assassination attempt. Littlefinger points out to Ned later on that they couldn't afford a Faceless Man, so they only put it out there "to kill Dany would earn someone a lordship" but this is quite an educated risk for Varys, and it would make more sense for him to stay quiet about her completely, unless this is part of the "delay the war, we're not ready yet" vibe?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about that, too.

Maybe Varys was just protecting himself. I mean, everyone knows he is the master of whisperers. The council would've found out about her wedding and pregnancy at some point anyway. And then they would also suspect he knew and withheld the information. Plus, Varys was in contact with Jorah the whole time - he was easily in a position to warn him of the assassin.

Also, at that point in the Game, Varys needed Ned to act as if their secret conversation about Jon Arryn and Gendry had never happened. Maybe he knew Ned's code of honor made him a terrible actor and needed to provoke his contemptuous behavior another way - by starting the argument in which only Ned would argue in favor of keeping Dany alive.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, if the original plan was for Kal to lead his army to Westeros to restore Viserys or (insert your favorite Targaryen theory here) to the throne, and Kal is dragging his feet, what better way to get Kal motivated than for Robert to have Dany killed. At this point in the story, once Dany is carrying the Kal's kid, then she probably has served her purpose for Illyrio. She really isn't the "asset" (at this point).

Maybe Jorah was supposed to stop the assassination or maybe not. Maybe he went off script because he fell in love with Dany and then stopped his communication with Varys. He'd have to keep that to himself. Not like he could tell Dany (or anyone) "well...I was supposed to let them kill you but I changed my mind..."

Even if Vyserys was already dead when Varys spoke with council (can't remember the timing right now..been awhile), it still works if Varys/Illyrio had planned for Aegon all along.

Now (at the risk of rambling here) Illyrio/Varys could have just had Dany killed themselves and let everyone suspect Robert. But why risk it coming back on them (especially Illyrio who doesn't want Kal's army at his doorstep) when it would too simple to manipulate Robert to do it.

Am I right in understanding these two men are Varys and Illyrio?

Correct.
They discuss holding off the war until their plans are in place - is this referring to Aegon?
Maybe.
As Illyrio poured a lot of money and resources into setting up the wedding for Dany and Drogo, and if Varys/Illyrio are in cahoots, then why does Varys reveal to the King/Council that Dany is pregnant, leading to the council's decision to have Dany killed by as assassin? I guess if he didn't reveal the info then he wouldn't be considered a good spider, but it is putting a big asset at risk.
You've already answered the question. Varys was a former mummer so even though he's a pro-Targ, he has to make all the people around him (especially the king's council) believe he's a pro-Bob and his alliance/loyalty is with the king so he has to risk Viserys and Dany's lives if needed be.
Further, are they hedging their bets by having Dany AND Aegon up their sleeves?!
We shall see.

Maybe Varys tells the council about Dany's baby because he wants Aegon to be the only true ruler?

Makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived