Best Overall King Regardless of Claim

The question speaks for itself. Who do you think would be the best ruler of Westeros no matter the claim, can be anyone from the lowest peasents in Flea Bottom to the upper echilons of Casterly Rock. This goes for dead and alive but it has to be within the timespan of the books. Im going with Eddard Stark for my King because of how succesfully he ran the North before his fall. Who would you choose if it was your choice to set someone on the Iron Throne?

I would have to go for Tywin Lannister but Ned is a pretty good choice as, although we already know that he will be useless in the south with all the back stabbing and scheming.

Idk if he had more of his own bannermen to back him i think Ned would have been succesful, Ned had just started living in KL he had almost no support. If he had Stark, Arryn, and Tully bannermen with him i doubt he would have trouble with it.

dont necessarily like the guy, but Tywin Lannister. a king has to have a certain amount of ruthlessness/reason above emotion, yet he is also openhanded with his supporters.

or Bran with Bloodraven like powers to know every possible thing going on in the realm.

Ned should be the best King, or Davos if all was perfect. But seen as Westeros is Westeros Tyrion pre-dance wouldn't be bad I guess

Ned would have to destroy the game to be successful. I have no doubt the realm would prosper under him- proper justice would be done, with lords actually caring for their people instead of using them just to gain power and wealth

Ned Stark would've been a great king. He's honourable, he feels duty to his people, he can lead armies, even his enemies respect him, he doesn't want power for the sake of power and he won't compromise on things like harming children. He also raised his children with the same values so the next generation would be ruled well too.

It didn't suit Ned being hand of the king because that didn't give him the power to stop the Game of Thrones and all its scheming but as a king he would've been great, just like he was a great Lord of Winterfell.

An older Robb would've been great too, a lot like Ned but more ambitious I would say. He was good as he was - easily the best of the 5 Kings - but not great enough for awful circumstances and disputed power.

After that Jon Snow, Davos and Doran Martell. They're all a little more pragmatic and willing to compromise but still good men who'd try to do what's best for their people. Doran doesn't seem as much of a natural leader and we don't know if he has any skills as a general, Davos isn't as educated but again isn't really a general and Jon just has the same issue as Robb, an older Jon could be a great king.

Davos, Tywin, Tyrion, and Rhaegar might have been good but we dont know if he was the great side of the Targaryens or the Mad side, he had a great reputation but for some of the Targs madness manifested later in life but by what we know of Rhaegar as of now he would have been a good king.

Archived