Best Overall King Regardless of Claim

Jon has been learning to rule like a king should. I always go back to Varys' quote about Aegon. He said that this kid has been born and lived as a common man, so the small folk wont just be faceless entities to him. When Jon let the wildlings through the wall, he showed that he has compassion even for the worst of the free folk. To me that act (not to say that there were not others) was one of the things that will make a good king. Just my thoughts on this subject.

I agree about Jon. But my question is would he even want the IT? He wouldn't even take WF when Stannis offers it to him.

He's the Aemon of his generation....He might be the rightful heir or whatever that doesn't mean he want's to be King.

Edit

Jaeharys I

This guy was probably the best king to rule westeros,But I still think the Targs have played their last King and Queen though.

He's the Aemon of his generation....He might be the rightful heir or whatever that doesn't mean he want's to be King.

I agree. As long as there is a NW, that is where he will be. If he leaves the NW due to a technicality from the result of the Caesaring, that will feel like a cop out to me.

Tywin would easily have been the most effective ruler. Say what you want about his personality, the man got shit done.

He did actually do a good job all those years as Hand. When Aerys started going nutters, Tywin ruled the kingdom by himself, for all intents and purposes.

And Dany didn't physically torture the wine sellers daughter herself, but you held her accountable, did you not? Mel reports to Stannis, that makes her actions a reflection of him.

I don't think that Mel who saves Mance reports to Stannis. Also Dany commanted the torture.

I'm gonna say Jon Snow, he's honourable like Ned Stark, but he (at least appears to) knows how to play the game well.

For his small council:

Hand - Tyrion

Grand Maester - Samwell Tarly

Master of Justice - Stannis Baratheon

Master of Coin - Kevan Lannister

Master of Ships - Victarion Greyjoy

Master of Whisperers - Bran Stark/BR

LC of Kingsguard - Ser Barristan

I think Stannis' sense of justice and his duty to the Realm would make him a very good King, the likes of which Westeros hasn't seen since Old Jaehaerys. He's one of the few people that can fix the mess Robert left behind.

Another very capable candidate would be Tywin. People see him as merciless, but that's just the kind of ruler the Realm needs, with all the infighting. He's also a clever diplomat, a great administrator and a financial genius. He has pretty much every quality that's required of a King.

For a country and for lords hes a good king, for the common folk hes a monstrosity who all they know about is he cruel and he shits gold.

“Bastard!”
someone screamed at Joffrey,
“bastard monster.”
Other voices flung calls of
“Whore”
and
“Brotherfucker”
at the queen, while Tyrion was pelted with shouts of
“Freak”
and
“Halfman.”
Mixed in with the abuse, he heard a few cries of
“Justice”
and
“Robb, King Robb, the Young Wolf,”
of
“Stannis!”
and even
“Renly!”
From both sides of the street, the crowd surged against the spear shafts while the gold cloaks struggled to hold the line. Stones and dung and fouler things whistled overhead.
“Feed us!”
a woman shrieked.
“Bread!”
boomed a man behind her.
“We want bread, bastard!”
In a heartbeat, a thousand voices took up the chant.
King Joffrey and King Robb and King Stannis were forgotten, and King Bread ruled alone.

The commoners couldn't care less who ruled them, as long as it's not a monster like Aerys or Joffrey, who would kill them for his own personal pleasure. Tywin would rule with an iron hand, true, but he would also be just. He wouldn't do what Aerys or Joffrey did. He'd jump start the economy of Westeros in a heartbeat. People won't be starving and dying in Flea Bottom anymore.

Weren't you just in another thread claiming anyone that uses torture is insane? How is Stannis burning people alive not torture? Also cutting off people's finger tips?

It's not torture. It's justice.

If someone else had caught Davos smuggling, who knows, he might have been beheaded. Stannis took the tips of his fingers and gave him a knighthood in return. Stannis' punishment is the best thing that happened to Davos. He has a home, a family, a title - all thanks to Stannis.

Most of the men Stannis has burned were traitors, deserters...criminals, all of them. Ned has also executed people for deserting. Both Robb and Joffrey executed traitors. They were sentenced to die. It makes no matter if they were thrown in a pyre, or died by the sword.

Most of the men Stannis has burned were traitors, deserters...criminals, all of them. Ned has also executed people for deserting. Both Robb and Joffrey executed traitors. They were sentenced to die. It makes no matter if they were thrown in a pyre, or died by the sword.

Burning is a crueler way to kill then Beheading yes the end result is same most of the time,But you can sometimes survive being burn for a long time but beheading is quite often fatal.(Unless you have no need for your head.)

It makes no matter if they were thrown in a pyre, or died by the sword.

Tell that to the person being executed. I think there is a big difference between a clean quick death from beheading, and a agonizing death from being burnt alive.

I agree with Jon, Tywin and Rhaegar.

Jon has shown(for the most part) that he is willing to make decisions for the common good. I think he's very like Ned, except more progressive and welcoming of change. As someone mentioned, Jon has come from somewhat humble beginnings and knows what it is like to be looked down on, so yes he can also be very empathetic and sympathetic.

Tywin was the ideal king. Strong, had connections, respected, feared, great decision maker, ruthless and knew how to play the game.

Would love to have seen Rhaegar as king. From what we are led to believe he was quite kind, sensitive and very level headed. Bit naive with Lyanna, but ulitmately he did it for love.

Also, death by fire and death by beheading are totally different, who was the guy who tricked someone into killing him before he went on the pyre? I don't see how anyone can condone Stannis burning people.

Tell that to the person being executed. I think there is a big difference between a clean quick death from beheading, and a agonizing death from being burnt alive.

I couldn't care less for the person being executed, and neither do Stannis' bannermen. Florent was a traitor to the King. So was Sunglass. The men he burned in the North were cannibals. None of them deserved the mercy of a quick death.

He didn't do it for his won pleasure, like Aerys did to Rickard and Brandon. What Stannis did was just. It may have been harsh, but it was still the King's justice.

I couldn't care less for the person being executed, and neither do Stannis' bannermen. Florent was a traitor to the King. So was Sunglass. The men he burned in the North were cannibals. None of them deserved mercy.

He didn't do it for his won pleasure, like Aerys did to Rickard and Brandon. What Stannis did was just. It may have been harsh, but it was still the King's justice.

What about Edric Storm? The fact he even considers burning his own nephew speaks volumes. I think he would have gone through with it, if not for Davos intervening. He is blinded by his desire to king.

I couldn't care less for the person being executed, and neither do Stannis' bannermen. Florent was a traitor to the King. So was Sunglass. The men he burned in the North were cannibals. None of them deserved the mercy of a quick death.

He who passes the sentence should swing the sword, not the match. Stannis on the Throne with Mel beside him would make him just as bad as Aerys, except he doesn't have madness to blame it on.

Archived