Any theories regarding Jon's direwolf?

Roadside Rose

Ghost was the outcast of the litter, the one that didn't fit with the rest of the group, so is Jon.

This I can agree. He is one of them, but not one of them. Read that in one of GRRMs interview.

Q: At one point Greywind characterizes Ghost as the quiet one who was "one of them but not one of them." Since the direwolves seem to reflect the children, does this characterization of Ghost mean that Jon is somehow a part of but still separate from the people around him?

GRRM: Oh yes, I think that's always been true. Even in Winterfell, as a kid before the wolves, Jon was the bastard. He was the odd one out. The rest of them are all brothers and sisters. He's only a half-brother, so he's not as closely tied to them. In some circumstances he could share everything with his brothers, he could train with Robb and all that, but then another circumstance would come up (like when the king came to the castle and they were choosing who could sit at the high table) and he's not welcome there. So he's of them, he's part of the family, he's part of the siblings, but he's a little bit apart too. Ghost is very similar to that. He's the albino, he's the one who makes no noise, so he's related to the other direwolves but one apart as well.

In nature, there is no such thing as albino wolf, which makes him unique. That could symbolize Jon not being Stark, but Targaryen.

:agree: This is my take on it too. If not that, then it shows that Jon is an outcast of the group.

I'll tell you as soon as I find the book,I don't have a digital copy of it.

Edit:

I found it..

It's an old book Biometrika,volume 21 december 1929 Karl Pearson and C.H Usher

Albinism in Canines.

Excerpt

"The now extinct Canis lupus hattai and Canis lupus floridanus were known carrier's of the trait and were often known to display Albinism,The pups were born blind(Generally) and survived less than 2 weeks."

Thank you... It`s really old book :), but I`ll try to find it.

GRRM indirectly giving a secret about Jon through his direwolf features. ghost has white fur symbolises jon is targaryen or may be snow targaryen. and its red eyes indicate that jon has something to do with red god or AA.

I always thought that (semi-crackpot alert) Ghost wasn't actually a Direwolf, at least in the same manner as the others. He seems to be a creature of the Old Gods and moreso than the other wolves that serve as guides for the Starks.

We know from the text that Ghost is apparently a mute, but go back to that initial chapter where we meet him and Jon "hears" him as they are riding away, prompting him to go back and get him. I think it's a Bran chapter in the Winterfell godswood where Osha explains how the Old Gods communicate with people with sounds and wind, etc.

Then there is the instances where Ghost guides Jon to remain in the NW:

• As Jon is riding away to join Robb he gives away the position and Jon swears that as he is cursing Ghost for doing so, the wolf gives him a "knowing look".
  • The wolf finds the obsidian weapons.
  • There is the eye staring exchange between the two after Jon is asked to become the Lord of Winterfell for Stannis.

Finally there is the look of him. White skin, red eyes. Exactly like a weirwood tree.

Yeah there is something up with Ghost. Whether he's just a unique looking member of the pack or he is actually a living messenger/guide from the old gods remains to be clarified.

I always thought that (semi-crackpot alert) Ghost wasn't actually a Direwolf, at least in the same manner as the others. He seems to be a creature of the Old Gods and moreso than the other wolves that serve as guides for the Starks.

We know from the text that Ghost is apparently a mute, but go back to that initial chapter where we meet him and Jon "hears" him as they are riding away, prompting him to go back and get him. I think it's a Bran chapter in the Winterfell godswood where Osha explains how the Old Gods communicate with people with sounds and wind, etc.

Then there is the instances where Ghost guides Jon to remain in the NW:

• As Jon is riding away to join Robb he gives away the position and Jon swears that as he is cursing Ghost for doing so, the wolf gives him a "knowing look".
  • The wolf finds the obsidian weapons.
  • There is the eye staring exchange between the two after Jon is asked to become the Lord of Winterfell for Stannis.

Finally there is the look of him. White skin, red eyes. Exactly like a weirwood tree.

Yeah there is something up with Ghost. Whether he's just a unique looking member of the pack or he is actually a living messenger/guide from the old gods remains to be clarified.

:agree: I think Ghost not being able to make a noise will play some importance to the story.

I like it, beacause I'm a followe of "R+L=you know who" theory.

But "to show him as an outcast" is most possible symbolism in my opinion.

Btw is Ghost the biggest of the dire wolves? Or summer is?

Grey Wind was the biggest, by quite a large margin.

GRRM indirectly giving a secret about Jon through his direwolf features. ghost has white fur symbolises jon is targaryen or may be snow targaryen. and its red eyes indicate that jon has something to do with red god or AA.

Sorry, how does the colour white symbolize Targaryens?

I always try to consider the theme of a song of ice and fire. Consider this:

Jon has black hair and his wolf has white coat with red eyes.

Dany has white hair and her dragon is black with red eyes.

Both Dany and John are literally a song of ice and fire.

Hi, and welcome to us newbabes! :cheers:

Jon and Dany as Ice and Fire is one way to interpret it but could also be love and hate and all other things it symbolize. I have a quote from our beloved author and posted it in here.

Sorry, how does the colour white symbolize Targaryens?

I was just about to ask this. I seen no correlation whatsoever.

Care to elaborate? Other than the palette swap?

In nature, there is no such thing as albino wolf, which makes him unique. That could symbolize Jon not being Stark, but Targaryen.

Well, yes and no. ;)

If you mean albino as in no pigmentation, then wolves aren't albinos ever.

Real wolves do have white fur, though. It's interesting because their fur goes extremely white at the onset of winter and then darkens in the summer. If the Stark family words are that "Winter is Coming" and Ghost is always white, then perhaps Jon is always in "winter"...

elaborating... the white of Dany's hair and ghost's fur is ice and the red eyes of the Dragon and ghost are like fire. The black is along for the ride.

Technically though the Targs have silver hair not white. Kind of like a platinum blonde kind of thing.

• 11 months later...

Archived