Robert was never the rightful King?

Cersai's Son

But if Cersei ate the king, doesn't that make her king? I suppose it was probably Barristan who killed the boar, though. So, in fact, when Barristan said that when he reappeared it would be with the true king, this is because he was the true king. All hail King Barristan Selmy Boarslayer, the first of his name.

Nothing. My point is it is too soon to call the Baratheon's a dynasty. That has to be a sequence of rulers. Not one. I don't count that they were kings of the Storm Lands 300 years ago. We are talking about a dynasty of over the entire realm.

There have been three Baratheon kings on the Iron Throne, and two more elsewhere.

The houses of York and Lancaster only had three kings each; the Normans had four, and the Tudors five. Elsewhere, the Severan dynasty had four independent rulers, I don't see any reason we can't call the Baratheons a royal dynasty.

There have been three Baratheon kings on the Iron Throne, and two more elsewhere.

The houses of York and Lancaster only had three kings each; the Normans had four, and the Tudors five. Elsewhere, the Severan dynasty had four independent rulers, I don't see any reason we can't call the Baratheons a royal dynasty.

Fair enough, I guess three counts as a dynasty. Even though two were not even Baratheons. Although technically they are ruling in the Baratheon name.

But if Cersei ate the king, doesn't that make her king? I suppose it was probably Barristan who killed the boar, though. So, in fact, when Barristan said that when he reappeared it would be with the true king, this is because he was the true king. All hail King Barristan Selmy Boarslayer, the first of his name.

We can then assume that he gives his claim to the throne up though since he crosse the Narrow Sea. Thus, despite his non-Baratheon status, Tommen is legit! Unless Barristan had a kid we aren't aware of.

First, sorry if there is a couple of mistakes in my writing, english is not my first language.

Yes, the baratheons are a dynasty because they established an effective power which was by all means acknowledged during an appreciable amount of time. There rule has been recognized for 15 years almost unanimously, and they provided 3 kings to the throne. Speaking about Robert conquest, he uses his ties to the targaryen as a tool to legitimize his claim to the throne.

First, sorry if there is a couple of mistakes in my writing, english is not my first language.

Yes, the baratheons are a dynasty because they established an effective power which was by all means acknowledged during an appreciable amount of time. There rule has been recognized for 15 years almost unanimously, and they provided 3 kings to the throne. Speaking about Robert conquest, he uses his ties to the targaryen as a tool to legitimize his claim to the throne.

Hi! This is my first post and English is not my first language also :) I do not agree the Baratheons have provided three Kings to the IT, because Joffrey and Tommen were never really accepted by all.

Regarding Robert, I have the opinion that he did not want to be king but he was chosen among the rebellions to have the better claim (a Targaryen grandmother) - Ned tells him so when the King complains that Ned should have sat on the IT after he found Jaime there. 'Damn you, Ned Stark. You and Jon Arryn, I loved you both. What have you done to me? You were the one should have been king, you or Jon." Baratheons are more related to Targaryens than most think, since Orys Baratheon was rumored to be Aegon's I bastard brother. All Robert really wanted, I think, was to kill Rhaegar because he believed Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna. He hated Aerys and his descendants because of what the mad king did to Brandon and Lord Rickard Stark. Robert might have had illusions about being a King, and being a proud man, he accepted it, but it was clear the IT was not his place. Even Jorah Mormont says that Robert would be happier being a Dothraki rather than King of Westeros, he was born a warrior, and loved to drink and bedding different women. Ned would be a better King but he had no ambition. I do not like Robert at all but I pity him, especially when he says "...Look at me, Ned. Look at what kinging has done to me...". Right now, I think having a bit of Targaryen blood does not matter anymore, remember that at the end of AGoT, the Northerners proclaim Robb to be King of North saying "It was the dragons we married, and the dragons are all dead".

But to stay on topic, I think Robert was accepted by many as King, so he was the rightful King. The reason he was accepted by most of the realm, it seems, is a bit related to his Targaryen blood. This does not prevent some to call him the Usurper, people who were loyal to the Targaryens. Rightful or not, he was not fit to rule Westeros.

joffrey and tom men werenever accepted by all but they were the ones who officially sat the iron throne. All the aims at winning the throne from their opponents were directed directly against joffrey or tom men (think of renly, stannis, danny or with other goals robb). So they were if not accepted at least the principal nemesis of every king to be, which is a contrario justifying their place as kings, illigitimates ones but kings nonetheless.

Archived