What is the Rhaegar Ruby Theory?

When I saw the thread title and saw "Rhaegar" and "Ruby", I thought the theory was about the presence of rubies in Rhaegar's breastplate during the Battle of the Trident. It might indicate that the person Rober Baratheon killed might not be the actual Rhaegar Targaryen and he is possibly alive somewhere. In ADWD, Melissandre showed us that it is possible to cast a glamour on someone with the use of rubies.

When I saw the thread title and saw "Rhaegar" and "Ruby", I thought the theory was about the presence of rubies in Rhaegar's breastplate during the Battle of the Trident. It might indicate that the person Rober Baratheon killed might not be the actual Rhaegar Targaryen and he is possibly alive somewhere. In ADWD, Melissandre showed us that it is possible to cast a glamour on someone with the use of rubies.

I remember I saw a theory once that said that Elder Brother was actually Rhaegar..So yeah, the glamour theories pop up from time to time.

So, adding "actual facts" to a theory is a bad thing? God forbid anyone dare to try and make a theory "seem all the more likely". Heavens no!

No, I'm saying they take something that has very little evidence and then add actual facts to try to make it seem more likely when the very basis for the theory is almost next to impossible. Like saying Ned is alive because his body never made it to Winterfell, while ignoring the amount of times that we see his head hanging above KL.

No, I'm saying they take something that has very little evidence and then add actual facts to try to make it seem more likely when the very basis for the theory is almost next to impossible. Like saying Ned is alive because his body never made it to Winterfell, while ignoring the amount of times that we see his head hanging above KL.

Gotcha. It makes sense when you put it like that.

Gotcha. It makes sense when you put it like that.

Believe me I love the theories, what else can we kill the years in between with, I've already read and reread from D&E to DwD so many times I can see the words in my sleep.

ACoK, Daenerys IV (HotU):

Rubies = Rhaegar's blood. A person's family is often referred to as their "blood".

AFfC, Brienne VI:

If you recall the woods witch prophecy about the PtwP, she claimed it would come from the line of Aerys II and Rhaella. Well, it turns out that there have been six products of that union that are known in-story:

1. Rhaegar

2. Viserys

3. Daenerys

4. Rhaenys

5. Aegon

6. Rhaego

The seventh is Jon Snow.

My friend, those rubies that flew from Rhaegar's chest? Those were rubies. They weren't symbols for Targaryen blood, they were the actual rubies.

I remember I saw a theory once that said that Elder Brother was actually Rhaegar..So yeah, the glamour theories pop up from time to time.

Which I see making sense. I've written about this and it can go either way. For instance, why wasn't Rhaegar's body ever paraded around for everybody to see? I know that I would show off his corpse, if I were his biggest enemy, to show it to anybody who disputes me. You know, as a warning.

Rhaegar is as dead as the Ned. Sorry.

I've seen it mentioned around that GRRM has confirmed that. It's probably somewhere in the SSM.

Also, the theory about the 7 rubies as the 7 products of the marriage between Aerys and Rhaella is very neat. Though I might argue that Rhaego doesn't really count, because he was never born.

Which I see making sense. I've written about this and it can go either way. For instance, why wasn't Rhaegar's body ever paraded around for everybody to see? I know that I would show off his corpse, if I were his biggest enemy, to show it to anybody who disputes me. You know, as a warning.

In the same line of thought - what happened to Aerys' body?

I love this chat. Although I don't buy into Mel having one of the rubies, just don't see how she could have come about it.

I don't think it's a leap to believe that there were only 7 rubies on his armor, I'm sure the armorer who made it could have thought this would have brought good luck. The rubies falling like rain could just be hyperbole I think, over exaggerated for effect.

I love the 'missing ruby/Targ' idea. So fantastic.

I don't think it's a leap to believe that there were only 7 rubies on his armor, I'm sure the armorer who made it could have thought this would have brought good luck.

He could have, indeed. But he didn't: "On [Rhaegar's] breastplate was the three-headed dragon of his House wrought all in rubies". Combine that with the rubies falling like rain and stopping two armies, and it must have been significantly more than 7.

Not that it matters that much. As J.Star said, you can still draw the parallel of 6 rubies having been found and the 7th hoped for to Aerys & Rhaella's 6 known descendents and the one hidden scion.

I love this chat. Although I don't buy into Mel having one of the rubies, just don't see how she could have come about it.

I don't think it's a leap to believe that there were only 7 rubies on his armor, I'm sure the armorer who made it could have thought this would have brought good luck. The rubies falling like rain could just be hyperbole I think, over exaggerated for effect.

I love the 'missing ruby/Targ' idea. So fantastic.

<><><><>

<><><> here are seven rubies, make a three headed dragon with them.

Unless they were enormous rubies, in which case they would have been looted before he hit the bottom.

When I saw the title I was thinking about another Rhaegars ruby theory I hear in the past. Something along the lines of "The rubies on rhaegars armour were used to glamour someone else into Rhaegar and Rhaegar is actually alive".

Never heard of the one explained here though. But as others say... alot of rubies where smashed out of that breastplate.

Archived