The Direwolves will outlast us all

Morienthar

Leaf says this,This I think can be interpreted in two different ways.

1.The Direwolves will literally outlast all their magical animal and singer counterparts

2.The Starks will outlast them all.

If one happens do you see it happening in the books and do you think two will happen.

I think that this can be used as foreshadowing that Starks shall return to Winterfell, and will restore its full power. More than that, I think none of Great family will last as Starks, given that all of them are far younger than House Stark.

In my opinion, that conversation between Bran and Leaf doesn't forshadow anything... It starts with Bran asking where all the rest of the singers (CotF) are while they are in the cave. She answers by telling him how most are gone, Giants as well. Even the Lions of the western hills and and the Unicorns... She finishes with the direwolves will outlast us all but there is no room in the world men have made.

So I just think she is actually talking about animals IMO

I think the conversation is more about magic. I think it's foreshadowing a very LOTR style ending to the series, where man emerges as the winner and magic fades away to myth and is lost forever. The Starks may live, but eventually they will become ordinary men, not wargs or direwolves.

In my opinion, that conversation between Bran and Leaf doesn't forshadow anything... It starts with Bran asking where all the rest of the singers (CotF) are while they are in the cave. She answers by telling him how most are gone, Giants as well. Even the Lions of the western hills and and the Unicorns... She finishes with the direwolves will outlast us all but there is no room in the world men have made.

So I just think she is actually talking about animals IMO

Ha! I think people talk a lot of nonsense about foreshadowing on this forum, and wish to see things that are just not there, but this is not that.

She is talking about magical creatures and she said their day will come too. Basically, all of them are going extinct it's just that the direwolves will take longer to but they are as well.

I think the conversation is more about magic. I think it's foreshadowing a very LOTR style ending to the series, where man emerges as the winner and magic fades away to myth and is lost forever. The Starks may live, but eventually they will become ordinary men, not wargs or direwolves.

I agree except in LOTR it was a terribly sad ending, where as from what I have seen, in ASOIAF it will be a good thing. Magic seems to have only caused harm and destruction.

I agree except in LOTR it was a terribly sad ending, where as from what I have seen, in ASOIAF it will be a good thing. Magic seems to have only caused harm and destruction.

It will be sad as well, because it essentially means the end of the Starks too. They might be the last to survive (like the direwolf), however they're time will come and their name and legacy will be forgotten.

I can see that side of it but in the convo she mentions lions and deer... Those arent magical. She just happens to mention it in the same breath as giants, mammoths and direwolves. And really, are direwolves magical? they are just scarce south of the wall.

I can see that side of it but in the convo she mentions lions and deer... Those arent magical. She just happens to mention it in the same breath as giants, mammoths and direwolves. And really, are direwolves magical? they are just scarce south of the wall.

Actually it gives a pretty good description of the current events really

The Stags(Deers)-Only two exist.

The Lions-3 left.

The Direwolves-3 left.

Direwolves can sense each other from incredible distances,They develop a bond with Wargs that isn't seen with other wolves,They can sense threat to themselves and their friends,They can sense wights and others pretty magical I'd say.

The natural inhabitants to Westeros may be a better word. She said there is no room for man and them to coexist.

... but eventually their time will come as well. In the world that men have made there is no room for them, or us.

The Starks may be well suited for the world of men, but they are still affliated with magic. Wargs, giants, oversized lions, and all the rest make normal men uncomfortable. Eventually, the world of men will destory them all.

It will be sad as well, because it essentially means the end of the Starks too. They might be the last to survive (like the direwolf), however they're time will come and their name and legacy will be forgotten.

Perhaps, but they may live on without any tie to magic. The Starks have a special connection with /DirewolvesWinter/Ice the same way the Targaryens seem to have with fire, dragons and and Summer.

I started a thread on this a few months back. We tried to establish what connections could be made between the animals and various houses of Westeros. After looking at each individually we decided there was no foreshadowing beyond that of the literal animals.

Actually it gives a pretty good description of the current events really

The Stags(Deers)-Only two exist.

The Lions-3 left.

The Direwolves-3 left.

Direwolves can sense each other from incredible distances,They develop a bond with Wargs that isn't seen with other wolves,They can sense threat to themselves and their friends,They can sense wights and others pretty magical I'd say.

There are more Lannisters/lions than just Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei... to name a few Lancel, Genna, Stafford and his children, and you could even count Tommen and Myrcella.

Ha! I think people talk a lot of nonsense about foreshadowing on this forum, and wish to see things that are just not there, but this is not that.

I think people who ignore potential foreshadowing are doing themselves a huge disservice. There is so much known foreshadowing in the series that it shocks me that people will casually dismiss stuff like this.

I started a thread on this a few months back. We tried to establish what connections could be made between the animals and various houses of Westeros. After looking at each individually we decided there was no foreshadowing beyond that of the literal animals.

Could you point me to that thread.

• 1 year later...

I have to disagree you guys. I just read this part, and I think there's a lot of foreshadowing going on. If the different animals are pointing to their sigil representations, as mentioned by Morienthar, then I think it's obvious from there.

I think that's a really interesting take on the topic of the ending being a more magical than physical one. I like it. I suppose only time will tell.

Archived