Wildling Immigration Policy

Samwell Gnarly

I know that the Wall was originally set up to keep the the Others out, but what about those who were unfortunate enough to live on the wrong side? Like what if a Wildling wants to move south of the wall in search of a better life? Are they allowed to immigrate without being hunted down or do they have to hop the border all sneaky? I mean, the Night's Watch frequently sends men north of the Wall to hunt down and kill Wildlings, which seems like a pretty good violation of their jurisdiction since the King has no authority beyond the wall. Has the wall turned from a legitimate defense against supernatural beings into a paramilitary death squad, hunting down the indigenous people of the Northern-most part of the continent?

No, they built the Wall partially to keep the Wildlings out. And since the Others havent been seen in thousands of years the Night's Watch and the Wall's primary purpose now is to keep the Wildlings out of the Seven Kingdoms.

• 2 weeks later...

No, they built the Wall partially to keep the Wildlings out. And since the Others havent been seen in thousands of years the Night's Watch and the Wall's primary purpose now is to keep the Wildlings out of the Seven Kingdoms.

That is not true, 8000years ago when the others attacked, they've built wall to prevent another attack of the others, when the wildlings came live behind the wall, the others hadn't been seen foor centuries.

They could try walking up to the gate and making a show of throwing down their weapons and asking to treat with The Lord Commander or someone, and depending on how the men feel, they might get allowed past. Of course, they might be shot on sight. I doubt they'd take the risk.

I mean, the Night's Watch frequently sends men north of the Wall to hunt down and kill Wildlings, which seems like a pretty good violation of their jurisdiction since the King has no authority beyond the wall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Night's Watch don't serve any King. They serve the realm. Therefore they hunt only raiders - those who cross the Wall to kill, rape, burn and other fun. Which means that generally they serve Karhold, Last Hearth and roundabouts, cose I doubt that wildling raiders are raiding beyond Winterfell, I mean it's hell of an empty realm in the Kanada.

• 1 month later...

They could try walking up to the gate and making a show of throwing down their weapons and asking to treat with The Lord Commander or someone, and depending on how the men feel, they might get allowed past. Of course, they might be shot on sight. I doubt they'd take the risk.

I agree, it's too big a gamble and it doesn't really fit in with what we know of the wildlings.

Archived