Is Jon Connington Gay?

thecryptile

Yeah, Connington is gay. I have never really doubted it, with him thinking back on Rhaegar and Toyne especially remember their looks and what not. I wonder whether Rhaegar was aware of how Connington felt for him? And yeah, I think he wanted to help Aegon because of his own affection for Rhaegar. Connington did feel that he had failed Rhaegar, with the Battle of the Bells, and by helping Aegon he would redeem himself and take revenge for the Targs. I mean he seems quite content with dying once that is done, claiming he doesn't have much left to live for. In a way this is similar to Loras thinking back on Renly; "When the sun has set no candle can replace it".

I am sorry I don't see the point of asking a question, when you are ready have the part of GRRM confirming it. The only real question is if JonCon nambla YG, and that is iffy, with no true answer thus far in the series.

The first quote is westeros.org and the second is GRRM's "confirmation" which seems very vague to me, he doesn't actually name the character- it could be Areo Hotah for all we know.When I first stumbled on this in the FAQ, I was amazed- I hadn't picked up on it on my first read of ADWD. I thought it might be proof that Aegon is a Targaryen and not a Blackfyre, but then I realized that at best it's just proof Jon Connington believes he is the son of Rhaegar-- after all Varys introduced the two and could very well have been lying about Young Griff's identity.

Hotshot is a PoV in Dance?

The first quote is westeros.org and the second is GRRM's "confirmation" which seems very vague to me, he doesn't actually name the character- it could be Areo Hotah for all we know.When I first stumbled on this in the FAQ, I was amazed- I hadn't picked up on it on my first read of ADWD. I thought it might be proof that Aegon is a Targaryen and not a Blackfyre, but then I realized that at best it's just proof Jon Connington believes he is the son of Rhaegar-- after all Varys introduced the two and could very well have been lying about Young Griff's identity.

Hotah is a PoV in Dance?

Also, I think he said it was a PoV introduced in Dance.

Am I the only one who sees a parallel (of sorts) between LF and Jon C?

LF could not get the mother (and was partly responsible for her death) so he starts fostering (for whatever reasons) her child. And he intends to give her a big part of realm (Vale and north).

Whereas,

JonC could not get the father (partly responsible for death) so he fosters his child. And he intends to give him the realm

Also, both of them tried to win the other's affection when they were small.

Well, reading his POV i always assumed that he was more than a little fond of Rhaegar. If we really wanna be sure about it we'll just have to wait until the TV show catches up. No doubt HBO will just throw in a flashback where we see Rhaegar and JonCon banging, as to not sexually confuse their viewers.

You're right of course, Hotah is from Feast.

He does have a PoV in Dance; it's the one where Gregor's head is brought to Sunspear, and Doran gives the Sandsnakes their missions. But no, given that even Hotah notices Arianne's curves, it's fairly apparent he's leaning in that direction.

Compare that to the nature of Connington's thoughts, and it's really no dispute which character would be gay.

Nowhere in the books does it state Rhaegar and Connington were or were not lovers.

The line "He meant to prove himself worthy of Rhaegar's love" could be interpreted to mean that he had Rhaegar's love but doubted whether he deserved it... or, alternately, that he didn't have it, and meant to earn it.

Actually, come to think of it, Rhaegar's love affairs -- of any sort -- seem very few and far between. Not exactly Robert Baratheon or Aegon the Unworthy, it would seem. More Baelor the Blessed, this guy.

It seems rather unrequited, though. We learn from Barristan that Arthur Dayne is Rhaegar's closest friend and the one he trusted most:

“I make no such claim, ser. Myles Mooton was Prince Rhaegar’s squire, and Richard Lonmouth after him. When they won their spurs, he knighted them himself, and they remained his close companions. Young Lord Connington was dear to the prince as well, but his oldest friend was Arthur Dayne.”

Perhaps by now he should have grown used to such things. The Red Keep had its secrets too. Even Rhaegar. The Prince of Dragonstone had never trusted him [ser Barristan] as he had trusted Arthur Dayne. Harrenhal was proof of that. The year of the false spring.

We already get the answer from the SSM that was linked in the OP, I do not see the purpose of asking anymore?

Actually, come to think of it, Rhaegar's love affairs -- of any sort -- seem very few and far between. Not exactly Robert Baratheon or Aegon the Unworthy, it would seem. More Baelor the Blessed, this guy.

Elia and Lyanna - is this not enough? I am not sure what point you are making here, that Rhaegar must have had an affair with Jon just because we only know of two women in his life?

It could be Varamyr for all we know (at least as far as I can remember), but if there are so many clues to that in Jon's POVs and none in Areo's and Varamyr's, then I think we can safely assume GRRM's confirmation points to none other than Jon.

Archived