Is Jon Connington Gay?

thecryptile

Meh, that is just the way, the average man talks about Daemon Blackfyre. Seriously Martin pretty much confirmed he was gay.

He did confirm it and stated that it was unrequited, see LJ entry (http://eleusis-walks....com/65713.html) detailing a book signing:

When it was time for the signing (I had my own book and a copy for Isabel), I got up there and he leans forward conspiratorially and we have the following exchange:

GRRM: (seeming a bit excited or tickled or something) OKAY, so you're talking about--

Me: Connington and Rhaegar.

GRRM: Yes! But it was unrequited.

Me: Yeah, I got that.

Rae: [simultaneously] We got that.

Me: I just was reading and "my silver prince" was just... not how you talk about a friend.

I've mentioned this before but JonC's feelings toward Rhaegar remind me of the notion of erotic male love among the aristocratic classes in Ancient Greece. To grossly oversimplify, masculinity -- as defined by intellectual and martial pursuits -- is held up as the ideal by which everyone else (woman, slaves) are judged. I don't know how well this translates for Connington but I've always gotten this vibe from him: that his worldview is determined by masculine pursuits erotic and otherwise, and Rhaegar embodied these ideals for him: the physical beauty, martial prowess, a high intelligence, learned, and the finest pedigree. I think more than wanting Rhaegar to love him, Connington wanted be him.

There's no indication that Jon Con has those kinds of feelings for Aegon.

Yea, there's the sense that Jon's attempt to put Aegon on the IT is really about redeeming himself for what he believes is his failure re. Rhaegar, as well as reaffirming his love and admiration.

First of all: that was suposed to be tree, not three, but a combination of terible spelling and careless-ness fudged it up.

The expression itself comes from Niel Gaiman and Terry Pratchets Good Omen if I remember correctly.

I was giving you credit for an intentionally mixed saying, similar to "does the pope shit in the woods". I've heard the saying "as queer as a three dollar bill" as well as "gay as a tub (or tree) full of monkeys"

Well, reading his POV i always assumed that he was more than a little fond of Rhaegar. If we really wanna be sure about it we'll just have to wait until the TV show catches up. No doubt HBO will just throw in a flashback where we see Rhaegar and JonCon banging, as to not sexually confuse their viewers.

Nah. The show doesnt do flashbacks.

Nor would they show Rhae-man gettin' it on with JonCon.

It seems rather unrequited, though. We learn from Barristan that Arthur Dayne is Rhaegar's closest friend and the one he trusted most:

“I make no such claim, ser. Myles Mooton was Prince Rhaegar’s squire, and Richard Lonmouth after him. When they won their spurs, he knighted them himself, and they remained his close companions. Young Lord Connington was dear to the prince as well, but his oldest friend was Arthur Dayne.”

Perhaps by now he should have grown used to such things. The Red Keep had its secrets too. Even Rhaegar. The Prince of Dragonstone had never trusted him [ser Barristan] as he had trusted Arthur Dayne. Harrenhal was proof of that. The year of the false spring.

Arr.

Ser Arthur was Rhaegar's BFF. That doesnt mean those two were having rolls in the hay though. Rhaegar may be a sensitive guy, but i think he really liked the ladies.

Did JonCon do any thing like give that kid to much wine to drink because this is reminding me of Littlefinger and Sansa right now.

:ack: Why....Im with WK here, mang. This kind of shit isnt really cool.

Did JonCon do any thing like give that kid to much wine to drink because this is reminding me of Littlefinger and Sansa right now.

Are you implying that because he is gay he is a child molester? I hope I'm just misunderstanding you here.

wtf?

Where did you take that from? Just because he's gay you're assuming he tried to rape a child?

Mods should intervene. It's getting way out of hand.

wtf?

Where did you take that from? Just because he's gay you're assuming he tried to rape a child?

Mods should intervene. It's getting way out of hand.

How is this reminding you of Littlefinger and Sansa?

He mentions LF too, because they are similarities, but Jon is acting for more noble motivations. Both Jon and LF were madly in love with the parent (Rhaegar and Cat). Both did not have their love returned and saw their beloved marry someone else. Both have taken an interest in their loves child and wants to guide them. So they are similar on this front.

However, LF is acting purely out of selfishness and lust (for Sansa and power). Jon is coming from a nobler place and wants to do one last for his act for the man he loves.

I don't think him being gay had anything to do with it. Just that like LF, who is a straight male, he is raising the son of the man/woman he could never have.

The man is still alive, which makes the title a bit odd. :cool4:

JonCon just got back from a rehabilitation center. :dunno:

And yes, he's gay. He had an unrequited thing for Rhaegar that is absolutely driving him to work to put fake-Aegon on the throne. No doubt he was chosen for that very reason: Varys needed someone who could vouch for Aegon but who was also up to Alexandria in denial. And yes, the reason he's so bitchy about Elia Martell is that Elia got to sample the ol' Rhae-gun and he didn't.

I also wonder how much of this friendship was legit on both sides and how much was JonCon just tagging along. Like, was JonCon the Peter Pettigrew of the Rhaegar, Arthur and Myles clique?

LMAO! Right?

Obviously Rhae-man did not include JonCon in all their marauding. He seemed to be quite a bit on the outs of things. Its like he was completely oblivious to what was really going on with why Harrenhal tourney even happened on a lot of levels.

Archived