Why didn't Tywin disinherit Tyrion?

First of My Name

Do we have another example of someone fiddling with his inheritance except for Robb? I mean, Robb was king, and what he did he did by royal decree, so I wouldn't take that as precedence that anyone can change his heirs as he likes.

E.g. Randyll Tarly seems to have found it necessary to either send Sam to the NW or kill him.

Tywin's grandson was king he could have gotten a royal decree no? Perhaps that was the plan and He didn't expect to die before he did that.

True, Tywin would have no problems to get Joffrey (and later Tommen) to do that.

Joffrey cause he likes signing things that pwn Tyrion, Tommen cause he likes signing things.

Do we have another example of someone fiddling with his inheritance except for Robb? I mean, Robb was king, and what he did he did by royal decree, so I wouldn't take that as precedence that anyone can change his heirs as he likes.

E.g. Randyll Tarly seems to have found it necessary to either send Sam to the NW or kill him.

The only other examples I can recall are that Lady Rohanne Webber's father added somee unusual stipulations to his will that required her to marry or else the succession would pass her over and also all the confusion about which of the viable Hornwood claimants would be ultimately selected - either Lord Hornwood's bastard or his sister's son.

The only other examples I can recall are that Lady Rohanne Webber's father added somee unusual stipulations to his will that required her to marry or else the succession would pass her over and also all the confusion about which of the viable Tallhart claimants would be ultimately selected - either Ser Beren Tallhart's bastard or his sister's son.

I think that you confused Tallhart and Hornwood. In CoK Luwin and Rodrick discussed that new Lord Hornwood can be bastard of former Lord Hornwood or one of the sons of his sister who married Tallhart.

This always bugged me. Clearly in Tywin's mind Tyrion was going to inherit Casterly Rock over his dead body (which would be ironic if it comes to pass). But what was his plan? Tyrion's whole thing was the Lannister name and his legacy. Who was he intending take over for him?

I've always thought he had some long term plan to get Jaime out of his Kings Guard commitment. If he won't give it to one son he must have planned on giving it to another. He just needed to find some way for Jaime to be relieved of his duties in a way that wouldn't add to the long line of embarrassments his children provided him.

He was also in denial about his own ability to retrieve Jaime from the Kingsguard and force him to inherit Casterly Rock against his son's wishes. He probably never could've guessed he would die (relatively) young and before he'd gotten the chance to arrange for the succession the way he envisioned it.

It also appears he tried to setup Tyrion to get killed when opportunities presented themselves.

This always bugged me. Clearly in Tywin's mind Tyrion was going to inherit Casterly Rock over his dead body (which would be ironic if it comes to pass). But what was his plan? Tyrion's whole thing was the Lannister name and his legacy. Who was he intending take over for him?

I've always thought he had some long term plan to get Jaime out of his Kings Guard commitment. If he won't give it to one son he must have planned on giving it to another. He just needed to find some way for Jaime to be relieved of his duties in a way that wouldn't add to the long line of embarrassments his children provided him.

As you said the plan was to give it to Jaime. He had a one track mind on this subject and nothing else matters. To put it into context Tywin is only reported to have smiled a few times in his life.

1. When he became Hand.

2. When he married Joanna

3. When the twins were born

4. When he destroyed the Tarbecks.

This should show you that becoming Hand was one of the four greatest moments in Tywin's life, but Jaime was still more important than that.

As others have said, I suspect that Tywin wants Casterly Rock to go to Jaime, and intends to do whatever it takes to get him there- and, given that he dies suddenly, he doesn't have the opportunity to make a contingency plan when this didn't succeed.

It may also be that Tyrion may have sons in the future who could inherit Casterly Rock if the plans with Jaime are for nought. Bearing in mind that Cersei's three children are all supposed to be Baratheons, presumably Tommen would be the Prince of Dragonstone, and Myrcella the Lady of Storm's End, or some similar arrangement- and, more pointedly, I imagine that Tywin would rather keep CR in the Lannister family name. Tommen or Myrcella could presumably take on the name "Lannister" if they inherited, instead of Baratheon, but Tyrion's children would hold the name from birth. If he's disinherited, would it not also disinherit his heirs, who might be more suited to rule (in Tywin's eyes) than their father? Of course, that implies that the inheritance could still skip a generation...

Babbling a bit here. Basically, I think there may be something in the theory that, unless there is proof that the child is not his, or said child commits some crime considered serious enough, there is no possibility of disinheriting a child.

Only a sovereign can remove someone from the line of succession. A lord (baron, duke, etc.) couldn't just name their successor, if they didn't want their legal heir to inherit they had to get the King (or Parliament) to write a decree naming the new heir.

I don't think it's mentioned but I think maybe a deathbed promise to Joanna? Everybody in the books seems to believe he truly loved her and despite the cold calculating prick he became, maybe he just didn't have it in him to break that promise.

I think you need a genuine reason to disinherit your heir, or its not legitimate. And being a dwarf is not a legitimate enough cause to be disinherited.

You can see this in Randyll Tarly's line "You have given me no cause to disinherit you, but neither will I blah blah blah". So, you need a real reason/cause for disinheritance and being fat and cowardly like Sam isn't enough, presumably neither is being a dwarf.

Right. I think it's possible; it's just not the honorable thing to do. He could have thrown his deformed infant body off the cliffs of Casterly Rock but he didn't do that either.

I always thought a man as calculating as he would have remarried if for no other reason than to sire other legitimate sons to replace Tyrion / remove the chance of him being the only option as heir. It isn't like warrior types like Jaime don't, you know, die frequently.

It's a bit of a character issue to me, despite that he loved his dead wife.

I always thought a man as calculating as he would have remarried if for no other reason than to sire other legitimate sons to replace Tyrion / remove the chance of him being the only option as heir. It isn't like warrior types like Jaime don't, you know, die frequently.

It's a bit of a character issue to me, despite that he loved his dead wife.

i agree it doesnt make sense, he didnt want tyrion to inherit and jaime was in the KG, what was his plan? why not ask robert who would have been happy to release his jaime from the KG even if jaime refused his father? jaime is in his 30's you'd think he would want him to marry and have heirs. was it in affc? the first time he brought up to jaime leaving the KG? its one of those things that makes no sense other than its written that way.

i agree it doesnt make sense, he didnt want tyrion to inherit and jaime was in the KG, what was his plan? why not ask robert who would have been happy to release his jaime from the KG even if jaime refused his father? jaime is in his 30's you'd think he would want him to marry and have heirs. was it in affc? the first time he brought up to jaime leaving the KG? its one of those things that makes no sense other than its written that way.

I like your avatar.

Archived