The great mystery called Sandror's and Gregor's sister

My timeline was always: burnt face first, sister death second, dead dad third, and then Sandor leaves.

And I always got the horrible feeling that the sister was abused or mistreated and Gregor killed her so she wouldn't talk or something went too far or she resisted or fought back and he went into a psycho rage as usual. Or he had a headache.

But if the dvd features are canon, when McCann narrarates as Sandor he mentions "a sister I barely remember." And if this is true than the father was either covering up, didn't care that his eldest killed one child and maimed the other, and it tells us that the father did nothing even after the sister died until Gregor killed him way later....interesting. Or the father was just too damned scared to do anything about his beast of an eldest son.

We know next to nothing about what actually happened in Clegane Keep back in the day.

All we know for sure is the story of Sandor's disfigurment. The rest are just ominous rumors and speculation, since Gregor is actually quite solitary and nobody really visits him, and the Hound is not someone who talks about his past.

The widely accepted belief that their sister and father were killed by Gregor is absolutely plausible, to the point where I'm not like to assume any other scenario, but we don't know the how and why. We don't know how old the girl was when she died or what kind of a person their dad was.

We know that the rumors say that the Clegane sister died young under strange circumstances (which makes me to rule out something as trivial as a sickness) and that Papa Clegane was killed in a hunting accident that let Gregor inherit everything (which totally isn't suspicious). From there all we can do is draw speculations.

The most likely culprit is the Mountain, of course. As to wether his dead sister is of actual importance to anything related to the plot of the novels, I tend not to think so.

Definitely. It is the brilliant writing of Martin and a plausible and realistic motivationf or him. Mom was dead, I am sure he wasn't close to dad who brushed the fire incident under the carpet, and he hated his older brother, so losing the sister to (sorry, I believe it was all Gregor for sis and dad) his psycho brother was horrible. It is the one thing he doesn't talk about in the series. He will even bitch about his face to Sansa but never that. But he looks out for Sansa and later Arya too. Kind of like a little do-over for him. He couldn't save his sister but he can try to save them the best he can.

But if the dvd features are canon, when McCann narrarates as Sandor he mentions "a sister I barely remember." And if this is true than the father was either covering up, didn't care that his eldest killed one child and maimed the other, and it tells us that the father did nothing even after the sister died until Gregor killed him way later....interesting. Or the father was just too damned scared to do anything about his beast of an eldest son.

Wow, that's actually really interesting.

If Sandor had a little sister who was killed, either by him or his brother, then it could explain his protective actions towards Sansa and Arya.

He will even bitch about his face to Sansa but never that. But he looks out for Sansa and later Arya too. Kind of like a little do-over for him. He couldn't save his sister but he can try to save them the best he can.

And yes, I agree!

My interest to this case has grown very much recently.

House Clegane is not huge nor very important house, but it still could have some kind of prominent role in this series.

Especially among the Lannisters.

• 4 weeks later...

I developed a deep fascination for their house. I'm curious about their mother too (whether her marriage was arranged or not). Hopefully we'll find out more in the upcoming books.

I only hope people don't add her to Jon's possible mothers.

You just started an avalanche. Next, people will think she is Septa Lemore or HM in Winterfell.

Back to OP: I always assumed she was killed by Gregor, and that "incident" was somehow covered up by their father. Really, in Clegane household, we have father who died under suspicious circumstances, daugther who also died under suspicious circumstances, son half of whose face got somehow burned, two Gregor's wives who probably also met some "misfortune" and numerous dissapearing servants.

Actually :idea: the only family member who is alive and well is Gregor. So either Clegane castle is under attack of some supernatural forces that target everyone but Gregor or Gregor himself is responsible for series of "accidents".

On a side note, I'm amazed Sandor's father didn't react to Gregor's killing sprees. Really, his daughter dies and he witnesses Sandor's face being burned off, and yet he apparently makes to attempt of dealing with Gregor? This guy is serious contender for Father of the year award, along with Randyll and Tywin.

edit:typos

You just started an avalanche. Next, people will think she is Septa Lemore or HM in Winterfell.

HM in Winterfell?

Actually :idea: the only family member who is alive and well is Gregor. So either Clegane castle is under attack of some supernatural forces that target everyone but Gregor or Gregor himself is responsible for series of "accidents".

Gregor - 'alive and well'? I guess by some standards, yes.

It would be funny if it turned out that Gregor was wholly innocent though. Like, all the people died in freak accidents that he had no idea about, and Sandor was burned when he fell forward into the brazier while playing. ("I don't know why those I love keep getting hurt!" said Ser Gregor. Arya could see tears streaming freely from the big man's eyes. "Just put me out of my misery, please. Mayhaps I'll get to see them again...")

Really, his daughter dies and he witnesses Sandor's face being burned off, and yet he apparently makes to attempt of dealing with Gregor?

Maybe he doesn't think that Gregor did anything wrong. "They just pick on him because he's big and kind of slow." "It's not his fault, he just gets these headaches." "The other kids were the real culprits; Gregor just goes along with it to fit in."

If Sandor had a little sister who was killed, either by him or his brother, then it could explain his protective actions towards Sansa and Arya.

I believe that Gregor killed his sister, which is heavily implied. His sister and dad died mysteriously as well as several servants. Plus, Gregor went through a couple wives so it is made pretty clear that death follows Gregor.

I think it is pretty clearly laid out that Gregor destroyed his whole family and would destroy Sandor if given the chance. Sandor is the only one strong enough to survive and he booked out of town and under the protection of the Lannisters the minute he could because he knew he was next.

Therefore, I don't believe Sandor killed his sister nor would it be plausible for him to later be protective of the Stark girls later on if he did. If anything, they would be in more danger from him if he did.

The Stark girls are his chance to "do over" his relationship with a sister he barely remembers but was unable to protect from his brother's brutality, hence his protectiveness of them. His anger towards his brother is both the anger from his brother having destroyed his family and anger with himself for being helpless and unable to protect them from Gregor.

I believe that Gregor killed his sister, which is heavily implied. His sister and dad died mysteriously as well as several servants. Plus, Gregor went through a couple wives so it is made pretty clear that death follows Gregor.

I think it is pretty clearly laid out that Gregor destroyed his whole family and would destroy Sandor if given the chance. Sandor is the only one strong enough to survive and he booked out of town and under the protection of the Lannisters the minute he could because he knew he was next.

Therefore, I don't believe Sandor killed his sister nor would it be plausible for him to later be protective of the Stark girls later on if he did. If anything, they would be in more danger from him if he did.

The Stark girls are his chance to "do over" his relationship with a sister he barely remembers but was unable to protect from his brother's brutality, hence his protectiveness of them. His anger towards his brother is both the anger from his brother having destroyed his family and anger with himself for being helpless and unable to protect them from Gregor.

Agree with all of this.

On the lighter side, not knowing the exact truth about Gregor adds to his mystique. Kind of like not knowing if he has a head anymore or just a helmet full of blood.

HM in Winterfell?

Hooded Man in Winterfell. In one of Theon's ADWD chapters, he briefly meets guy with a cloak who's eager to use his knife on Theon. So people assumed this guy is someone we already know, acting as a spy for Northerners or BWB. Here's one of numerous threads about it, so take a look if you're interested.

Gregor - 'alive and well'? I guess by some standards, yes.

It would be funny if it turned out that Gregor was wholly innocent though. Like, all the people died in freak accidents that he had no idea about, and Sandor was burned when he fell forward into the brazier while playing. ("I don't know why those I love keep getting hurt!" said Ser Gregor. Arya could see tears streaming freely from the big man's eyes. "Just put me out of my misery, please. Mayhaps I'll get to see them again...")

:lol: Brilliant.

For all we know, Gregor could have thrown away his fight with Oberyn.

Maybe he doesn't think that Gregor did anything wrong. "They just pick on him because he's big and kind of slow." "It's not his fault, he just gets these headaches." "The other kids were the real culprits; Gregor just goes along with it to fit in."

[crackpot] Now you got me thinking - we don't know what happened to Gregor's mother and paternal uncles and aunts; so maybe they suffered similar accidents by Gregor's dad. Gregor's dad indeed doesn't think he did anything wrong - Gregor is simply continuing family tradition.[/crackpot]

• 9 months later...

It seems to me that Gregor's father was really scared of his eldest son. I don't think he covered up Sandor's burning and his daughter's death because he was complicit, but because he was afraid that Gregor's rage would turn to him if he didn't. And in the end, Gregor killed him anyway to get his lands and title.

No, it was like a toy, right?

On the dvd, I posted on this thread months earlier, McCann narrates and this always bugged me. He does mention the events and says something about (as Sandor) "a sister I barely remember." I wonder who wrote the script and what was the motivation for including that? Never mentioned in the books that I know of. We could never date time wise the sister.

Archived