Girlfriend is reading the books for the first time...

NoBoldVillain

Just curious, what kind of questions did you get when your friends or girlfriends or boyfriends or etc. were reading for the first time? And more importantly how much did you divulge? I'm wondering if I should just refrain from answering questions and let her enjoy it the same way I did (fully comprehending things on re-reads), because I feel like each answer could lead to a potential spoiler.

I'd only discuss (not teach) what she has read so far... even then it's difficult. I wouldn't divulge future events, but I might discuss things that she should/could have picked up on... and I'd let her choose the topics and you listen more than talk. Let her tell you the story and smile/nod a lot. Ask her for predictions and why... thoughts about specific characters... but don't let her know if she is right or wrong.

Assist her to delve in deeper yet still be enabled to let GRRM tell her the story.

` I agree. I would only clear up things she might have misunderstood, but I would steer clear of spoiling anything.

I remember when my brother was reading ASoS and he was getting close to the Red Wedding. I would ask him things like, "So is Robb still killing it out west?" And I could tell how far along he was by his response. When he finally read that chapter he sent me a text, "Yo, they fu**ing killed Robb!"

My co-worker was reading ASoS when this season began and again I didn't spoil the Red Wedding for him. I received a similar text from him.

` I agree. I would only clear up things she might have misunderstood, but I would steer clear of spoiling anything.

I remember when my brother was reading ASoS and he was getting close to the Red Wedding. I would ask him things like, "So is Robb still killing it out west?" And I could tell how far along he was by his response. When he finally read that chapter he sent me a text, "Yo, they fu**ing killed Robb!"

My co-worker was reading ASoS when this season began and again I didn't spoil the Red Wedding for him. I received a similar text from him.

Ha thats funny... Iv been leading all my friends/family along to make it seem like robb will be the hero of the north and take back his homeland from the krakens and the west from the lions.. Lets just say their excited for this wedding to happen to see robb take the west so he can go back north in season 4...

Ha thats funny... Iv been leading all my friends/family along to make it seem like robb will be the hero of the north and take back his homeland from the krakens and the west from the lions.. Lets just say their excited for this wedding to happen to see robb take the west so he can go back north in season 4...

I'm glad I don't have to watch the show with non-book readers who will ask questions. Not sure how I would respond. Maybe I would tell them to continue watching and they will get their answers.

Just curious, what kind of questions did you get when your friends or girlfriends or boyfriends or etc. were reading for the first time?

For some time now I've tried to get my significant Other to read the series, going to far as to already load the books on both our kindles, not only mine. It didn't work beyond a grudging read of the very first few chapters during our last vacation.

Then this week I suddenly got a text from what must have been a pretty boring conference: "Jon Arryn is a duffer, right? Couldn't he have spoken more clearly?" (translated into English). Only a few hours later, it was followed up by "What the hell is Ned thinking, of all the people in the world, he's telling only Cersei?!". I tried to answer both questions the best I could and am looking forward to the next.

I'd only discuss (not teach) what she has read so far... even then it's difficult. I wouldn't divulge future events, but I might discuss things that she should/could have picked up on... and I'd let her choose the topics and you listen more than talk. Let her tell you the story and smile/nod a lot. Ask her for predictions and why... thoughts about specific characters... but don't let her know if she is right or wrong.

Assist her to delve in deeper yet still be enabled to let GRRM tell her the story.

This is what I do aswell -

My sister is reading SoS now, and she hadn't picked up on the Gendry being Robert's bastard for instance... That sort of thing is fine to share.

My rule has been not to answer spoiler questions for new readers or people watching the TV series. Someone in particular watches the show and always asks questions and I just laugh at everyone and enjoy their reactions when things unfold. I can't wait to see Facebook after the next episode, people are going to be upset! Haha

I had an experience where it was Beneficial to spoil. My friend had it spoiled for him that Arya goes blind by someone else. He decided there and then to stop watching the series because there was no good in the world. I told him that, although that may be true, Arya gets her eyesight back, and is still in prime physical condition by the end of book five. We are now bunkering up popcorn for the coming episode 9 of season 3. I am wondering what to do to console him. He is such a Stark loyalist.

Archived