The dragon has three heads

Jon Snow R+L=J

First, welcome to the forum. You are new apparently.

Second, what do you mean by three heads? Three Targaryens or three riders? Since there is a great difference there.

I think it's one person with three heads, not three different people. I also don't think that three dragons riders are necessarily the same as the prophetic "three heads of the dragon." I think that's a connection that people have drawn themselves that isn't necessarily in the text.

:agree:

I have seen a least three distinct plausible interpretations (ignoring redundant iterations of the same outcome by different means) what "the dragon has three heads" means that do not assume the three heads are distinct personalities.

1. Three different identities in one person. Most often referring to Jon (Dragon, Wolf, Crow) or Dany (Dragon, Khaleesi, Mother).

2. The Valyrian Sphinx as the Dragon with three heads; an explanation how to control a dragon: You need the dragon itself (1st head), a rider (2nd head) and a warg who controls the dragon itself while flying (3rd head)

3. The Dragon as the World, with the South, North and Lands Beyond the Wall as heads and Essos as the body of the dragon.

Let's just say that all of these make just as much sense to me as the search for three different Targaryens, and some of them (particularly 1, but also some versions of 2) make even more sense to me than the classical interpretation. All in all, I think the interpretation of Jon as the three-headed dragon (Dragon, Wolf, Crow) makes the most sense to me.

I believe the three are Dany, Jon and Tyrion who do you think and why?

The same as you and the reason is because their births being alike is not coincidental. They're also, you know, the three main characters.

I have seen a least three distinct plausible interpretations (ignoring redundant iterations of the same outcome by different means) what "the dragon has three heads" means that do not assume the three heads are distinct personalities.

1. Three different identities in one person. Most often referring to Jon (Dragon, Wolf, Crow) or Dany (Dragon, Khaleesi, Mother).

2. The Valyrian Sphinx as the Dragon with three heads; an explanation how to control a dragon: You need the dragon itself (1st head), a rider (2nd head) and a warg who controls the dragon itself while flying (3rd head)

3. The Dragon as the World, with the South, North and Lands Beyond the Wall as heads and Essos as the body of the dragon.

Let's just say that all of these make just as much sense to me as the search for three different Targaryens, and some of them (particularly 1, but also some versions of 2) make even more sense to me than the classical interpretation. All in all, I think the interpretation of Jon as the three-headed dragon (Dragon, Wolf, Crow) makes the most sense to me.

I think if George R.R. Martin meant the three dragons were personalities, it would be more evident in the books at this point.

I think if George R.R. Martin meant the three dragons were personalities, it would be more evident in the books at this point.

For some, it has been evident. It sort of depends on what one is more interested in while reading or what one is more inclined to notice. Using myself as an example, I tend to be a more visual person who is more inclined to notice some of the smaller details. Once I had the image of the Targaryen sigil in my head (one dragon with three heads, not three dragons), it never dawned on me that "the dragon has three heads" could be about three different people. I'm not trying to argue whether or not I'm right or wrong. Just pointing out that something may not be evident to one reader while it is to another. There were a lot of things that I completely missed or got totally wrong and wouldn't have considered it to be so obvious without the aid of others pointing out what I'd glossed over.

I just don't see Tyrion riding a dragon. Sorry. Targ or not (and I definitely think he's not a Targ), he's just not that sort of player. He's not a leader. He's not a head. He inspires neither love, respect nor loyalty. He's an adviser, a schemer, in the mold of Varys and Littlefinger, and that's where he'll do his best work.

If the three heads refer to three different people, then I think the best bet is Aegon. Specifically, a revelation that Aegon is indeed a Blackfyre. This puts his claim behind Dany's, removing his threat to her claim. Dany could then marry Aegon, gaining the favour of the Golden Company and the allies he has accumulated throughout Westeros. They'll have a child (I don't think Dany is barren, but that's another story), thereby putting a Blackfyre on the Throne and fulfilling the purpose of the Golden Company, and re-uniting the two branches of the Targaryen line.

Jon, meanwhile, will hold the fort up North.

<snip>

To use Jon as an example, you have a few possibilities.

1. Stark, Snow, Targaryen

2. Man, Wolf, Dragon

3. King in the North, Targaryen king, King Beyond the Wall

It occurred to me that in Cersei's prophecy, "gold shall be their crowns" can be read in two different ways: monarchal crowns and the crowns of their heads. They have "golden crowns" because they have Lannister gold hair. If "crowns" can mean "heads" in one prophecy, why can't "heads" mean "crowns" in another? Hence I settled on #3 as a possibility.

I'm also not sure what, if anything, the original Targaryen sigil (which is a dragon with three heads that does correspond to three different people) has to do with this "dragon must have three heads" prophecy. For all we know, this prophecy is much older than the Targaryen sigil and they have nothing to do with each other, other than the link readers have forged in their own minds. Again, it's one dragon with three heads, not three dragons.

The third one is mine, though that is the extremest version of it. More likely, is that Jon is the dragon and his three heads are the three different parts of the continent of Westeros: the 'South', the North, and the Lands Beyond the Wall. No King of Westeros has ever ruled over the LBtW. (The dragon has three heads ... There must be one more)

It has also occurred to me, given the physical makeup of Westeros, that those three sections could become separated from each other by water. The South and the LBtW are connected to the North by much narrower pieces of land.

To use Jon as an example, you have a few possibilities.

1. Stark, Snow, Targaryen

2. Man, Wolf, Dragon

3. King in the North, Targaryen king, King Beyond the Wall

It occurred to me that in Cersei's prophecy, "gold shall be their crowns" can be read in two different ways: monarchal crowns and the crowns of their heads. They have "golden crowns" because they have Lannister gold hair. If "crowns" can mean "heads" in one prophecy, why can't "heads" mean "crowns" in another? Hence I settled on #3 as a possibility.

I'm also not sure what, if anything, the original Targaryen sigil (which is a dragon with three heads that does correspond to three different people) has to do with this "dragon must have three heads" prophecy. For all we know, this prophecy is much older than the Targaryen sigil and they have nothing to do with each other, other than the link readers have forged in their own minds. Again, it's one dragon with three heads, not three dragons.

Here is my take, which provides some possible evidence for number three.

If it does correspond, it means the Targaryens have been waving around a figurative Jon Snow on their banners for hundreds of years. :)

I think it's one person with three heads, not three different people. I also don't think that three dragons riders are necessarily the same as the prophetic "three heads of the dragon." I think that's a connection that people have drawn themselves that isn't necessarily in the text.

Maelys the monstrous had two heads. So that's very much foreshadowing the possibility of the "dragon" as having two conjoined twins, so probably extra heads on the left and right shoulders. That is the true dragon, and we haven't seen him/her yet. Dany is a pretender.

I don't necessarily think that the three heads of the dragon are the people who will have dragons.

The people who will have dragons I can see is Dany, Bran and Jon (Or Bran/Jon) and then Tyrion.

The three heads of the Dragon are Dany, Aegon, and Jon.

I put Tyrion because he is the best chance that I can think off as a third option.

Archived