The dragon has three heads

Jon Snow R+L=J

I made a post on my tumblr about this, and then I was googling to see if anyone else had the same thoughts, and found this thread.

Thought I'd post it here and see what anyone thinks?

Theory about who the ‘three heads are’.

********Spoilers*********

The safest place to put foreshadowing is in your first book, because no one reading it for the first time knows the significance of it. They just read it and forget.

At the end of GoT, when Dany is on the pyre with Drogo and she hatches her dragons, it says where exactly she put each egg;

"She climbed onto the pyre herself to place the eggs around her sun-and-stars. The black beside his heart, under his arm. The green beside his head, his braid coiled around it. The cream-and-gold down between his legs."

The black one, the one by his heart, is the one Dany herself claims and rides in DWD. So that leaves two, the one by his head, and the one between his legs.

My theory is that the green one, the one by his head, is for Tyrion, who’s greatest strength is his mind. Then for the cream one, the one between his legs, I think the most likely possibility is Jon Snow. Rheago, Dany and Drogos son who died before he was born, would have been the last Targaryen (besides Dany), and the egg between his legs is pretty symbolic of his son. Rheago died, but Dany’s visions in which Rheago appear have been linked by many to Jon Snow. And then there’s the theory that Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rheagar Targaryen (which makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons, if you want to find them google them, although the fact that GRRM says Ned found Lyanna in ‘her bed of blood’, which is what they call the birthing bed, seems like a pretty clear hint). would make Jon Snow a Targaryen, as Rheago would have been.

I made a post on my tumblr about this, and then I was googling to see if anyone else had the same thoughts, and found this thread.

Theory about who the three heads are.

The safest place to put foreshadowing is in your first book, because no one reading it for the first time knows the significance of it. They just read it and forget.

At the end of GoT, when Dany is on the pyre with Drogo and she hatches her dragons, it says where exactly she put each egg;

"She climbed onto the pyre herself to place the eggs around her sun-and-stars. The black beside his heart, under his arm. The green beside his head, his braid coiled around it. The cream-and-gold down between his legs."

The black one, the one by his heart, is the one Dany herself claims and rides in DWD. So that leaves two, the one by his head, and the one between his legs.

My theory is that the green one, the one by his head, is for Tyrion, whos greatest strength is his mind. Then for the cream one, the one between his legs, I think the most likely possibility is Jon Snow. Rheago, Dany and Drogos son who died before he was born, would have been the last Targaryen (besides Dany), and the egg between his legs is pretty symbolic of his son. Rheago died, but Danys visions in which Rheago appear have been linked by many to Jon Snow. And then theres the theory that Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rheagar Targaryen (which makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons, if you want to find them google them, although the fact that GRRM says Ned found Lyanna in her bed of blood, which is what they call the birthing bed, seems like a pretty clear hint). would make Jon Snow a Targaryen, as Rheago would have been.

this is really interesting. I like the thought a lot and think you could be on to something in terms of the symbolism. I think the egg between his legs could symbolize her lover which may turn out to be Jon regardless which also makes sense that he rides the white dragon. I still don't think that tyrion will be one of the riders. I think the odds of him being a targ are a long shot although he could turn out to be aerys bastard I guess. All in all I like it though. Other than jon and Dany, there isn't really an obvious dragon rider candidate.

i think ultimately the color of the dragon has something to do with it. Based on what we know of house sigils and character traits, I've been trying to think of a character who would fit with a green dragon. Tarth is considered the emerald island, which also alludes to Ireland in our world. Wonder if its brienne.

• 3 weeks later...

Dragon has 3 heads...The Prince that was Promised...Azor Ahai reborn. The idea of rebirth is taken by a lot of people to mean Azor Ahai died and will be reborn once. Maybe, when the different ideas behind AAR are combined we get...Aegon V, the unlikely, as the first dragon and rebirth of Azor Ahai, then after Summerhal, Azor is reborn again into Rhaegar, and then after the Ruby Ford Azor Ahai is reborn for a third time into Dany.

I do not know what 'the dragon has three heads' means.

I believe when Rhaegar made that quote he meant Rhaenys, Aegon and his third (future) child.

Tyrion, Jon and Dany are certainly not siblings, and neither is Tyrion a Targaryen.

And there is also a quote by GRRM that says "the third head will not necessarily be a Targaryen".

Tyrion, Dany and Jon could be dragon riders, but there have been multiple dragon riders in ASOIAF, and not always in threes. That's why I am not so sure if it means three random dragon riders.

Yes. That is what Rhaegar meant.

Is this the only mention of the dragon having three heads in the text (other than any recalls to this vision)?

You know.... it could be that Jon is not the 3 heads of the dragon, but simply the 3rd head... as Rhaegar imagined.

I believe when Rhaegar made that quote he meant Rhaenys, Aegon and his third (future) child.

Theory about who the ‘three heads are’.

My theory is that the green one, the one by his head, is for Tyrion, who’s greatest strength is his mind. Then for the cream one, the one between his legs, I think the most likely possibility is Jon Snow. Rheago, Dany and Drogos son who died before he was born, would have been the last Targaryen (besides Dany), and the egg between his legs is pretty symbolic of his son. Rheago died, but Dany’s visions in which Rheago appear have been linked by many to Jon Snow. And then there’s the theory that Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rheagar Targaryen (which makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons, if you want to find them google them, although the fact that GRRM says Ned found Lyanna in ‘her bed of blood’, which is what they call the birthing bed, seems like a pretty clear hint). would make Jon Snow a Targaryen, as Rheago would have been.

Now this is an interesting catch!

Tyrion, Jon and Dany are certainly not siblings, and neither is Tyrion a Targaryen.

And there is also a quote by GRRM that says "the third head will not necessarily be a Targaryen".

Tyrion, Dany and Jon could be dragon riders, but there have been multiple dragon riders in ASOIAF, and not always in threes. That's why I am not so sure if it means three random dragon riders.

This. (link)

"This third Targaryen might very well be -not- a Targaryen, to quote his exact words... 'Three heads of the dragon... yes... but the third will not nessesarily [sic] BE a Targaryen...' "

Three riders: Dany, Jon and someone else. Or, we could take this as Dany, a true Targ to be confirmed, and Jon (who is not necessarily a Targ in name or personal identity).

The dragon has 3 heads isn't what rhaegar ever said or believed he said to dany "there must be three" this means there must be 3 symbolic heroes needed to save westeros, the same as 3 were needed to conquer it. For some reason everybody anlayzes the hell out of everything in the house of the undying and takes it to mean something but don't regard this comment the same. Probably because the people who post every 2 seconds on here believe that the 3 headed symbolism with jon trumps and replaces this concept and as a result has been accepted as truth

I too am not sure if the 3 heads of the dragon are the same as the 3 riders. I very much like the idea that the heads are 3 aspects or identities of the same person, in keeping with the Targ sigil. IF they are 3 people however, this quote recently caught my eye, not sure if it has been discussed elsewhere. AFFC, Brienne 7: septon Merribald talks about the sign from the Clanking Dragon inn which had a dragon with 3 heads, but was destroyed and says, "one of the dragon's heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later". I'm not up on who all might be there, but wonder if this is a cheeky clue, seems rather blatant and pointed to include (so of course could be a big fat red herring!)

Regarding the dragon riders,

Theory about who the three heads are.

My theory is that the green one, the one by his head, is for Tyrion, whos greatest strength is his mind. Then for the cream one, the one between his legs, I think the most likely possibility is Jon Snow. Rheago, Dany and Drogos son who died before he was born, would have been the last Targaryen (besides Dany), and the egg between his legs is pretty symbolic of his son. Rheago died, but Danys visions in which Rheago appear have been linked by many to Jon Snow. And then theres the theory that Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rheagar Targaryen (which makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons, if you want to find them google them, although the fact that GRRM says Ned found Lyanna in her bed of blood, which is what they call the birthing bed, seems like a pretty clear hint). would make Jon Snow a Targaryen, as Rheago would have been.

I've had similar thoughts about the egg placements, and green for Tyrioin and white for Jon. Not sure if these points have been made elsewhere, I know there are LOTS of 3 heads threads out there, but some additional thoughts I've had:

Rheagal is named for Rhaegar, as was Rhaego. I see similarities between Tyrion and both. Both Tyrion and Rhaegar were very scholarly. Both stepped into roles as warriors though it was not their natural inclination. Our one description of Rhaego is this from Dany 9 AGoT: "Monstrous, ... Twisted. ...". Tyrion is repeatedly referred to (sometimes by himself) as grotesque, twisted, and a monster. From ACoK, Tyrion 9: "yes, and I am a monster besides, hideous and misshapen, never forget that." and Tyrion 10: "the dwarf, the evil counselor, the twisted little monkey demon."

Viserion is named for Viserys, and is white which certainly suits Jon. I believe that Jon is the stone dragon. I think that plain and simple stone simply refers to Jon being frozen solid (in an ice cell, after dying, or being thought dead). I'm not sure about the popular theory of waking of the stone dragon referring to his becoming enlightened as to his parentage and Targ lineage - I'm not clear on how stone equates to lack of knowledge or awareness of one's identity. I do think that he will become aware of his identity through the weir-network around the time of his waking though. Anyhow, if you subscribe to the theory that Jon is the stone dragon that will be woken, when else do we hear about the waking of dragons? Viserys. I am not rooting for a Jon/Dany romance (nor am I opposed to it either), but the placement of the white egg has always made me think it will happen.

The Cream and Gold EGG being between her legs. Egg as in Aegon V his his Targaryen identity. This could mean that Jon is the cream and gold egg between her legs as he is a secret Targaryen, you could say he was hiding his identity. So Jon and Dany could become lovers.

Sorry but where are you getting this from the hidden identity thing?

The egg placements could end up being foreshadowing of who rides which dragon. But I'm still leery of using the "three heads of the dragon," in the prophetic sense, interchangeably with the riders of the three actual dragons.

Sorry but where are you getting this from the hidden identity thing?

The egg placements could end up being foreshadowing of who rides which dragon. But I'm still leery of using the "three heads of the dragon," in the prophetic sense, interchangeably with the riders of the three actual dragons.

shit man I wasn't payin attention when I read it. I was watching walkin dead. My bad just ignore what I posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To use Jon as an example, you have a few possibilities.1. Stark, Snow, Targaryen2. Man, Wolf, Dragon3. King in the North, Targaryen king, King Beyond the WallIt occurred to me that in Cersei's prophecy, "gold shall be their crowns" can be read in two different ways: monarchal crowns and the crowns of their heads. They have "golden crowns" because they have Lannister gold hair. If "crowns" can mean "heads" in one prophecy, why can't "heads" mean "crowns" in another? Hence I settled on #3 as a possibility.I'm also not sure what, if anything, the original Targaryen sigil (which is a dragon with three heads that does correspond to three different people) has to do with this "dragon must have three heads" prophecy. For all we know, this prophecy is much older than the Targaryen sigil and they have nothing to do with each other, other than the link readers have forged in their own minds. Again, it's one dragon with three heads, not three dragons.

Jon's three heads is as following

Dragon

Direwolf

Man

That's my caveat.

Archived