Varys Theory

BlackBrother55

OK, Im about 200 or 300 pages into aCoK and there was a scene were Tyrion asked Varys who he really was and were he came from. Anyway I have this theory that Varys is one of the Targaryens in disguise. It makes sense, because Targaryens would often have names with a 'y' in them: Viserys, Daenrys, Aerys, etc. Anyway does this make sense or is it all just circumstantial evidence?

• 2 weeks later...

Your theory is.......shall I say interesting. ;) close to the mark and yet it's not.

:agree:

OK, Im about 200 or 300 pages into aCoK and there was a scene were Tyrion asked Varys who he really was and were he came from. Anyway I have this theory that Varys is one of the Targaryens in disguise. It makes sense, because Targaryens would often have names with a 'y' in them: Viserys, Daenrys, Aerys, etc. Anyway does this make sense or is it all just circumstantial evidence?

I suggest that once you've finish the entire series, you search the forums for theories on Varys. You shall find them very interesting, I do not doubt. :)

I watched the 1st 2 seasons of the show and now I am reading the book. I finished the 1st one and on to the 2nd one. Has anyone else notice that Varys is like a double edge sword in his words an actions? In the same sentence he states one thing and within the same senteneanother. (Ex: when he asked Eddard about who he sent to deliver King's Jutice to the mountain). It makes me very vary of him and what his true motive and purposes are.

I just read the part in aCoK where Varys talks about his backstory.......it's a bit.........disaponiting, i guess. I mean it's a pretty well written scene....but I guess it was an alright idea. Shows some more about the wizards as well.

I just read the part in aCoK where Varys talks about his backstory.......it's a bit.........disaponiting, i guess. I mean it's a pretty well written scene....but I guess it was an alright idea. Shows some more about the wizards as well.

To be fair, you learn later on that this isn't the whole truth. It's largely an embelishment, IMO, to make both: 1.) Tyrion think Varys trusts him and 2.) to make Tyrion believe Varys would never betray the Lannisters for Stannis.

How truthful or untruthful his words are, well... you'll have to learn for yourself. :P

• 2 months later...

The ae in targ names is more of a commonality.

• 2 months later...

I've heard this theory thrown about a couple of times now--and I can sort of see it. Varys' past is questionable at best, he knows The Red Keep secret passages and entrances like the back of his hand (something that only a select few know, such as the Targaryens for instance...) and he purposefully shaves his head, maybe to hide the fact that he has silver-blond hair of the Old Valyrians.

...but honestly, I doubt it. Sure, he COULD be a bastard of some lesser-known Targaryen from the past, but it seems odd that he wouldn't take advantage of what his bloodline could potentially claim. Unless he deems it wise to keep it under wraps when Robert became king, which would make sense; the usurper was determind to extinguish every last reminant of the Targaryens whenever he could. Varys could just be waiting for the right time to strike (which, of course, I believe he is doing wether he is a Targaryen or not).

Just like every other moment in ASOIAF; the plot thickens! :eek:

Disappointing, how? The story he told was horrifying and heartbreaking. Then again, it's not like any boy decides he wants to be mutilated and have his genitals cut off, so his backstory has to be awful, but the story he told even worse than I could've imagined.

What exactly were you expecting?

I believe Varys despite all his talk of serving the realm, only serves himself, and in turn dons various disguises, not just in a physical sense but in a psychological one too, playing everyone. He comes across as intending only good yet his business is selling peoples secrets. Do not trust this one.

That makes a lot of sense, because in A Game of Thrones Arya overheard Varys and Illyrio having a conversation in the Red Keep. Illyrio gave Daenerys the dragon eggs for her wedding gift. Varys must have had the dragon eggs , and given them to Illyrio (if your theory holds true).

• 1 month later...

Archived