Was Jon Really Breaking his Vows?

Your false king is dead bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.

Your false king's friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king's queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want this wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you OR your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard's heart and eat it.

- Ramsay's Letter

To me when he says "I won't trouble you or your black crows" he was threatening Jon and the NW

but in the letter he also threatened the entire NW as well.

Jon says: "This creature who makes cloaks out of the skins of women has sworn to cut my heart out and I mean to make him answer for that threat,But I will not ask my brothers to foreswear their vows"

It's clear which threat he meant to make Ramsay answer for.

He was planning on coming back so I don't think he broke his vows, he never got the chance to anyway cause he was stabbed

It's not a question of deserting, it's a question of using the Watch for his own purpose.

The Halfhand commanded him not to break and do whatever was needed to gain the trust of the wildlings. This was an order, given by a senior officer. He did not break his vows. He did what was asked, by the Nights Watch.

"I won't trouble you OR your black crows". That was pretty clear threat to the NW as well.

Sorry folks, Jon is still as pure as a new born baby.

It's not a question of deserting, it's a question of using the Watch for his own purpose.

Oh but I'm probably grasping at straws but wouldn't Ramsey be threatening the whole Night Watch since it is their Lord Commander and a brother of the Night's Watch

A threat to the Lord Commander of the Nights Watch is a direct threat to the Nights Watch.

I'm assuming the well-being of the whole Watch passes before the well-being of the Lord Commander, especially when the threat on the LC is purely political.

But wasn't he going to use the Wildlings as his troops? The watch was going to stay at the wall. Jon was going South with Wildlings, and as far as I can tell planned on returning. There is at least a bit of a grey area in this situation.

I'm assuming the well-being of the whole Watch passes before the well-being of the Lord Commander, especially when the threat on the LC is purely political.

Yes, it was clearly political, no dispute at all. Regardless, Ramsey made an open threat to the NW, not just Snow. I persoanlly don't feel Jon broke his vows. The issue I have trouble swallowing, is the fact that Jon himself; felt he could be breaking his vows....thus him giving the rest of the NW a choice in going to Winterfell.

This is a good discussion, there are some excellent threads on the subject.

Hint: use the Search function of the forum.

Search is down, let the new people post what they want alot of these discussion are buried and years old, its good to have new discussions with new ppl.

To answer the OP, yes, Jon broke more than one vow as a member of the NW which is why he "death" was needed.

God I hope Ramsay gets wrecked in the next book. Preferably in a duel with Jon.

I don't think there is any doubt that Ramsey will meet his end, in the next book. But I doubt it will be by Jon. Jon is a little "under the weather" at the moment.

Archived