The feud of House Bracken and House Blackwood

Swafford25

Hmm not sure but it would really be interesting because I like the Blackwoods and I remember reading that the feud started when the Andals came I think and both of the Houses claim they were Kings and the other was their subjects, so it would be cool if more light was shed on whats the truth there.

GRRM said those two houses had been rivals since they were petty kings. We won't get a novella about the origin of their conflict.

Do you think they will be on opposite sides of the next confrontation? As much as they are rival Houses, both of them remained loyal to Robb Stark and Tullys to the very end, and if I am right they were the last ones to surrender, and I actually can`t see them on opposite sides, even with all that ill blood between them. Any time they were mentioned, they were on one side, which is quite strange. Somehow I can`t see Riverlords divided, even in defeat they all remain united somehow, especially in their hatred for Freys.

Do you think they will be on opposite sides of the next confrontation? As much as they are rival Houses, both of them remained loyal to Robb Stark and Tullys to the very end, and if I am right they were the last ones to surrender, and I actually can`t see them on opposite sides, even with all that ill blood between them. Any time they were mentioned, they were on one side, which is quite strange. Somehow I can`t see Riverlords divided, even in defeat they all remain united somehow, especially in their hatred for Freys.

I don't really know, but I do think that a smart monarch would marry Bracken's heir Barbara to Blackwood's heir, Brynden, to permanently end the feud. I know that the Blackwoods and Brackens likely won't be fighting on the Lannister's side, but as to what side they will take, Stannis or Dany is another question.

I don't really know, but I do think that a smart monarch would marry Bracken's heir Barbara to Blackwood's heir, Brynden, to permanently end the feud.

It's been done before. It worked for a while, but ultimately hostility broke out again.

"Someone did, my lord. Many someones. We've had a hundred peaces with the Brackens, many sealed with marriages. There's Blackwood blood in every Bracken, and Bracken blood in every Blackwood. The Old King's Peace lasted half a century.

As much as I'd like to see a novella about this feud, maybe even a conclusion, I can't see it happening any time soon if at all. Robert's rebellion would come before it or even Aegon the Conqueror's landing as well, would be much more interesting in a lot of people's eyes.

As much as I'd like to see a novella about this feud, maybe even a conclusion, I can't see it happening any time soon if at all. Robert's rebellion would come before it or even Aegon the Conqueror's landing as well, would be much more interesting in a lot of people's eyes.

I'd read it just for the Bloodraven bits.

• 1 year later...

The WoIaF book clarifies for the first time that Aegon (Egg) married a Blackwood. We knew he married for love but we did not know whom.

I think this feud continues to be important. It may be colouring events in the North if some of those families are relatives of one versus the other. But more importantly, this feud is the primary undertone of the Blackfyre rebellions. Bittersteel, who supported Daemon, had a Bracken mother, while Bloodraven of course was half Blackwood. These rebellions are important in the current events of the books because it is likely that fAegon is a descendant of a Blackfyre and very possibly Bittersteel, while Dany's great grandmother, we now know, was a Blackwood. The Stark kids also have Blackwood ancestry on both their mother's side and their father's (Melantha).

With Bloodraven still alive and influencing events, we can assume that if Bittersteel's and/or Daemon Blackfyre's descendants are conspiring to take the throne through fAegon, he is aware of the fact and does not approve.

The Blackwoods and the Brackens are old gods/first men and seven/andals respectively. They're meant to be a microcosm of all of the conflicts. Andal/First Men, old gods/new, alive and kicking targs/extinct bastardfyres, north/south, Robb/Tywin, westeros/essos. We will never see their origin story though as it is lost to history

The WoIaF book clarifies for the first time that Aegon (Egg) married a Blackwood. We knew he married for love but we did not know whom.

Egg married Betha (Black Betha) Blackwood, not sure how she is related to BR, possibly Missy was a great aunt? Maybe we will find out in the Village Hero.

Bet the Brakens were bitter that the Blackwoods made a royal marriage.

Egg married Betha (Black Betha) Blackwood, not sure how she is related to BR, possibly Missy was a great aunt? Maybe we will find out in the Village Hero.

Bet the Brakens were bitter that the Blackwoods made a royal marriage.

Yep. I'm thinking maybe even Summerhall level of bitter.

The Brackens are the only reason why the Blackwoods haven't yet taken over the known world. It is known. They are slowly but surely conquering Westeros by the right of marriage.

I think TWOIAF is as far as it goes for Brackens/Blackwoods.

I like to believe the Blackwoods that they were once from the Wolfswood and were kicked out by the Starks because they wouldn't kneel. Then they moved down into the Riverlands and probably agreed to be Bracken bannermen, but with all the instability in the Riverlands they took the first opportunity they could and made themselves kings again. Or they just settled into Bracken land without ever swearing fealty.

I kind of feel sorry for the Brackens. Since TWOIAF's come out, there's been so much awesome Blackwood family members revealed and the feud looks all the more one-sided.

I have to agree

I like to believe the Blackwoods that they were once from the Wolfswood and were kicked out by the Starks because they wouldn't kneel. Then they moved down into the Riverlands and probably agreed to be Bracken bannermen, but with all the instability in the Riverlands they took the first opportunity they could and made themselves kings again. Or they just settled into Bracken land without ever swearing fealty.

I think the book said they once ruled up to the wolfs wood

More like House Brackenwood, amirite?

No, OP. I think they're an interesting footnote in the story, but like to remain that way.

The Kingdom of Brackwood. With Blackenhall as the seat. No joke.

I've figured Westeros will probably be plunged into 20 odd kingdoms, and they are powerful enough for one.

Yeah, I find hard for anyone to be a supporter of the Brackens on this feud after reading TWOIAF.

The Blackwoods and the Brackens are old gods/first men and seven/andals respectively. They're meant to be a microcosm of all of the conflicts. Andal/First Men, old gods/new, alive and kicking targs/extinct bastardfyres, north/south, Robb/Tywin, westeros/essos.

Good point.

Archived