Translator's questions, v2.

TheMalcolm

I'd say the horse rooting for chestnuts is a different horse. As there's more people about, it's possible that there's more horses too.

She can see it because they've taken her off the horse. It's not explicit, but it's what I would interpret from "Rough hands seized hold of her."

Ok, that's logical, thanks.

• 1 month later...

The next day Ser Dermot of the Rainwood returned to the castle, empty-handed. When asked what he’d found, he answered, “Wolves. Hundreds of the bloody beggars.” - Jaime 44.

Why the knight calls wolves beggars? They don't beg for anything.

Does the word "beggars" have some obscure meaning I don't know of?

Ok, then what it looks like?

Are miser known for having some particular mouths?

Thin lipped and with a downward turn at the ends I think. I think the idea is tight lipped/close mouthed but that's another idiomatic expression.

The lines of the miser's mouth were close and firm, and his narrow chin turned up to meet an exaggeratedly hooked nose.

The next day Ser Dermot of the Rainwood returned to the castle, empty-handed. When asked what he’d found, he answered, “Wolves. Hundreds of the bloody beggars.” - Jaime 44.

Why the knight calls wolves beggars? They don't beg for anything.

Does the word "beggars" have some obscure meaning I don't know of?

Its just an idiom to use beggar like this. Its the same kind of slot you could put 'bugger' or 'blighter' in. Still used by old posh English men .. maybe. That's whose mouths its put in in fiction anyway. I don't think its got anything to do with begging and if it did it was some historical connection in meaning thats lost now.

I checked an online dictionary and it gives one meaning of beggar is 'fellow' as in You lucky beggar!

• 2 weeks later...

From last chapter:

“All Valyrian sorcery was rooted in blood or fire. The sorcerers of the Freehold could see across mountains, seas, and deserts with one of these glass candles. They could enter a man’s dreams and give him visions, and speak to one another half a world apart, seated before their candles. Do you think that might be useful, Slayer?”

“We would have no more need of ravens.”

“Only after battles.”

How do understand last sentence? Ravens would still useful for after battles? Return of magic would result in a lot battles? Something else?

• 3 months later...

AFFC, "Doughter of Craken" chapter:

Tris. She wondered what had happened to Sawane’s elder son, Harren. I will find out soon enough, no doubt. This should be awkward. She had not seen Tris Botley since . . . no, she ought not dwell on it.

What is awkward, details of Harren's death or Asha's future talk with Tris?

• 1 month later...

From "Iron captain" chapter, Euron describes common paryers:

Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy . . . protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the...

Is "crabs inside someone's belly" an idiom?

• 11 months later...

From last spoiler chapter:

Alayne could not help but shutter. Myranda’s husband had died when he was making love with her

What "shutter" means in the context? Dictionaries say "to close a window" or "to close a business" which is evidently inappropriate.

Archived