Sandor vs. Gregor?

Masamune

Ah, there are two of these threads. I was thinking maybe that part of the story is over (Sandor vs. Gregor). Something held Sandor back from killing Gregor at the tourney. The reference to Gregor taking off his helm, then Ned noticing that never once did Sandor aim a cut at his unprotected face.

I don't think Sandor's fighting days are over, though.

Ah, there are two of these threads. I was thinking maybe that part of the story is over (Sandor vs. Gregor). Something held Sandor back from killing Gregor at the tourney. The reference to Gregor taking off his helm, then Ned noticing that never once did Sandor aim a cut at his unprotected face.

I agree. Sandor v Robert Strong does not have the savor of Sandor v Gregor. I'm sure Sandor will come out if retirement, though.

• 1 year later...

I think that in Cersei's trial, the Faith's champion will be Lancel Lannister. Ungregor will absolutely smash him, and Cersei will continue for a while with failing to rule in King's Landing.

Eventually, when everything turns to shit in King's Landing, Jaime will have left the Riverlands and will return to King's Landing with some of the former members of the BwB, after Uncat tries to order both jaime and brienne's deaths but the Beric-faction refuses and kills Uncat. The Gravedigger (Sandor) will accompany Jaime to King's Landing, and arrive when the shit hits the fan and the Sand Snakes try to kill Myrcella and Tommen and Cersei.

Ungregor will absolutely destroy the Sand Snakes that try to get to Cersei, but when Jaime arrives, Sandor and Jaime team up to fight Ungregor. The two cripples fighting Ungregor will be pretty cool, and they might get help from a few others (BwB, an injured Sand Snake?), and eventually Ungregor will be defeated. If the skull that was sent to Dorne really IS Gregor's, then in the battle or after they will take/smash off Ungregor's helm, reveal the truth. Afterwards, Jaime will fulfil the valonqar prophecy, and Sandor's wounds will be too much for him to bear, and he'll PROPERLY die this time.

This is an interesting point. According to the Elder Brother, Sandor "dreamed of slaying his own brother, a sin so terrible it makes me shudder just to speak of it. Yet that was the bread that nourished him, the fuel that kept his fires burning." But Sandor's reluctance to aim at Gregor's exposed head, which as an experienced fighter Sandor would have immediately noticed, suggests Sandor is not mentally ready to kill Gregor and there are more complex psychological dynamics at play.

I think Sandor will defeat Gregor, but he will need to overcome his psychological barriers before he can mentally reach a place where he can...nothing a stint on the QI couldn't help iron out.

As an off-topic ponder, we know why Sandor wants to kill his brother, but what do we know about Gregor's motivations? IIRC, Sandor took the first swing at Gregor at the tourney so Sandor essentially started the brotherly punch-up (even though it was to stop Gregor from attacking Loras). Does Gregor want Sandor dead? If so, why?

Unless it's Robert Strong v. Drogon, it's not going to happen.

OMG! I think you've got it! Sandor is a secret Targaryen love child and he's going to ride a dragon v. Frankengregor!

(Sorry. I am very new and obviously am messing up the quote function.)

Archived