Littlefinger started Robert's Rebellion

Lord_Tyrell

Crackpot theory, but I think it's right. We know Brandon was in Riverrun when Lyanna Stark was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar. I really find it hard to believe that Lyanna and Rhaegar would have let the kingdom burn for their love, due to how selfless and passionate for their people that both of them are described as by people who knew them. Rhaegar had a wife already, to where there was really no going back for him, but Lyanna merely had a betrothed.

I think when Lyanna left with Rhaegar, she wrote a note and sent it by raven. We don't really know how Rickard was as a father, but if he was anything like Ned, then he wasn't really an option and would make sure she was returned by force. Ned certainly wasn't an option due to his high sense of honor with her not only being betrothed, but being betrothed to his own best friend, who would have taken the news just about as well as he did when he thought she was abducted. Benjen was too young to be an option, so I think Lyanna thought her only choice was her brother Brandon, who would probably be a bit more understanding being a passionate person like she is.

During that time, Littlefinger dueled Brandon for Catelyn's hand. Brandon spared him, but also screwed him up by slicing him. During that time, we know that Lysa had sex with Littlefinger and that he was in care of the maester. My theory is that at this time Brandon got a raven, and Littlefinger was there to intercept it. He read it, and then threw it into the fire out of pure spite for Brandon and later got drunk. I don't think Littlefinger knew the ramifications of what he was doing at the time, but his goal was merely just to screw over the Starks with the news and just see where it would go.

The results couldn't have been better for Littlefinger. Brandon was dead and his father roasted alive with him. The burning of the letter also led to the destruction of a nearly 300 year old dynasty. Littlefinger stepped back and couldn't believe the results of such a simple action. Littlefinger then decides to make this into a career: continue to destroy the upper houses (particularly the Starks) from within through manipulation and prove that he is truly the smartest and most ambitious person in all the Seven Kingdoms.

Thoughts on the theory?

If true this would make LF the most awesome character in the books. Sounds possible but I don´t think so for one reason:

There is no way LF wouldn´t have bragged about to someone by now. Although he is a skillful liar he can´t resist explaining his schemes in the Vale to Sansa. He would have told someone in KL at some point.

There is no way LF wouldn´t have bragged about to someone by now. Although he is a skillful liar he can´t resist explaining his schemes in the Vale to Sansa. He would have told someone in KL at some point.

Well, that's to Sansa though, and I do think he'll eventually let this slip. Littlefinger does love to brag, but not to his own detriment to the people around him. The exception to this is Sansa. Personally I think he's going to lure Tyrion into the crypts of Winterfell and brag to him how he's manipulated all of Westeros before attempting to kill Tyrion, and then Sansa will stab him from behind.

1. Catelyn and Brandon was bethroted when she was 12 in 276.

2. LIttlefinger demanded a duel some time after bethrotal was announced Wrong

3. LF was demanded to go after the incident

3. Abduction of Lyanna happened in 281, and LF wasn`t in Riverrun at the time.

Therefore, never happened. Sorry, but theory, beside not having textual proofs, is impossible

Wrong. That would have made Littlefinger 7 or 8 when that happened. We know Littlefinger was significantly older than that when he dueled with Brandon since he certainly wouldn't have had the capability to knock up Lysa. Plus does Brandon just hang out in Riverrun for 5 years? They may have been betrothed at that age, but Littlefinger certainly didn't hear of it until he was in his early teens.

Wrong. That would have made Littlefinger 7 or 8 when that happened. We know Littlefinger was significantly older than that when he dueled with Brandon since he certainly wouldn't have had the capability to knock up Lysa. Plus does Brandon just hang out in Riverrun for 5 years? They may have been betrothed at that age, but Littlefinger certainly didn't hear of it until he was in his early teens.

Actually, Cat reffered to him as a boy when she talked to Brandon. Further more, it was some time after engagements are announced, when Brandon visited Catelyn/ It was no where near Harrenhall tourney. And bethrotal was publically announced when Cat was 12.

Sorry, but now you are beating dead horse. Simply, you are wrong

Please tell me how an 8 year old could knock someone up. That is undeniable evidence. In Catelyn's eyes, Littlefinger was a boy, but that doesn't mean he wasn't prepubescent.

Plus, even if it was announced and Littlefinger knew of it, he may have thought he could sway Cat or wait patiently to duel Brandon for her. Sorry, but you are the one who is wrong.

Please tell me how an 8 year old could knock someone up. That is undeniable evidence. In Catelyn's eyes, Littlefinger was a boy, but that doesn't mean he wasn't prepubescent. You are the one who is wrong.

No, I am not. And stop. It`s embarassing... Admit you are wrong and move on.

I do appologize. You were right. He was 15, at the time of the duel... Sorry for my stubborness and condescending tone

No, I am not. And stop. It`s embarassing... Admit you are wrong and move on.

Fuck off.

Now, answer my question: how does an 8 year old knock up someone? He knocked up Lysa, which is physically impossible for an a 7 or 8 year old. Littlefinger was at minimum 11.

OK, we have a big problem here. Baelish was born in 268AL, and he was 15 at the time of duel. Brandon died in 282AL. So, how was he 15 at the time of duel?

OK, we have a big problem here. Baelish was born in 268AL, and he was 15 at the time of duel. Brandon died in 282AL. So, how was he 15 at the time of duel?

I personally think that Littlefinger was 13 or 14 at the time of the duel. GRRM is human, to where there are bound to be a few continuity errors.

I don't agree with Lord Tyrell's theory, but Petyr was definitely older than 8 when he dueled Brandon. It says so clearly in Book 1.

Catelyn was past delicacy. "He was my father's ward. We grew up together in Riverrun. I thought of him as a brother, but his feelings for me were . . . more than brotherly. When it was announced that I was to wed Brandon Stark, Petyr challenged for the right to my hand. It was madness. Brandon was twenty, Petyr scarcely fifteen. I had to beg Brandon to spare Petyr's life.

Brandon was 20. Petyr was "scarcely fifteen."

Fuck off.

Now, answer my question: how does an 8 year old knock up someone? He knocked up Lysa, which is physically impossible for an a 7 or 8 year old. Littlefinger was at minimum 11.

I forgot about that :bang: . I found the quote in which Catelyn describes the duel. She said `he was 15`

But where are you getting "Littlefinger was 15"? Do you have a link to this?

EDIT: Ok, but it's from Cat's memory, to where she may have just rounded it. I'm guessing Littlefinger was 14 at the time of the duel.

It was in aGOT.

True, but still we have no idea whether the duel happened before or after Tourney.

I'd venture after, simply because Brandon was with Catelyn when he got word that Lyanna had been kidnapped. Can't confirm this by any means, but I think that after the Tourney at Harrenhal, Brandon went to visit Cat for the first time. There Littlefinger dueled him, and there he heard of Lyanna's abduction. I just don't know of any evidence that Brandon visited Cat twice.

I'd venture after, simply because Brandon was with Catelyn when he got word that Lyanna had been kidnapped. Can't confirm this by any means, but I think that after the Tourney at Harrenhal, Brandon went to visit Cat for the first time. There Littlefinger dueled him, and there he heard of Lyanna's abduction. I just don't know of any evidence that Brandon visited Cat twice.

Wasn`t he on the road to Riverrun when he heard the news?

Archived